Ministry to cut foreign English tutors.

gotlost

Kap Chong R Us Member
I just finished reading this article. I was laughing too hard to make a post. After all the planning and the ruminations of getting English proficiency up in the last five years to enter ASEAN on the 31/12/2015. They have achieved the second lowest rank of all countries assessed, and not just the ASEAN ones.
So this plan is going to help?

Sounds like they need to fund a huge team to investigate alternatives or get the 'natives' to do a better job.
I know a couple of guys who hold a doctorate in English & can barely understand a sensible conversation in the language.

As a British-Council-trained teacher myself, I suppose I should support the idea! What the BC Teacher Trainers will do is put a lot of emphasis on speaking, and teaching students to speak.... but I suppose the selected trainees will be those who speak best anyway.

I have met English teachers from a number of schools in the north, and few of them speak well (or at all). Their job is not to teach students to speak, but to teach them to pass exams. The exams will be principally multiple choice questions ('multiple guess'). The exams will have no oral component.

I managed to get an oral component into term exams at Chiangmai University, but it only lasted two terms. The Thai teachers, who were in control of the department, found it too hard to mark. I heard some of their 'interviews', the teacher talking all the time, and not letting the student get a word in.

Always, and everywhere, teachers need to be taught to minimise 'teacher talk'!

As a British-Council-trained teacher myself, I suppose I should support the idea! What the BC Teacher Trainers will do is put a lot of emphasis on speaking, and teaching students to speak.... but I suppose the selected trainees will be those who speak best anyway.

I have met English teachers from a number of schools in the north, and few of them speak well (or at all). Their job is not to teach students to speak, but to teach them to pass exams. The exams will be principally multiple choice questions ('multiple guess'). The exams will have no oral component.

I managed to get an oral component into term exams at Chiangmai University, but it only lasted two terms. The Thai teachers, who were in control of the department, found it too hard to mark. I heard some of their 'interviews', the teacher talking all the time, and not letting the student get a word in.

Always, and everywhere, teachers need to be taught to minimise 'teacher talk'!
Well said, that man!

Teaching "English" here in my village is done by a TV broadcast from Hua Hin. None of the teachers here speaks English well. Or rather they barely speak any English apart from "how are you? I'm fine thank you". But that doesn't stop them from letting the kids take an Englisch exam (multiple choice). Really, this is a gigantic joke! But TIT and Thai Rak Thai, so who cares?

ABCD? I'm way past that stage, struggling with wxyz already, I'm a scholar though

Mutable choice hey..Beautiful and lovely foreign teachers eating in Corner Cafe.

12310003_959490110755467_3004160026416948103_o.jpg

Back