Another set of door handles

Yorky

Fullritis Member
Following on from Nomad's post about his decision to get a bit of work done in the cool season, I decided to placate my wife and finally change the front door handles which were getting a little tatty and stiff.

After a lot of measuring and to and fro-ing to the shop with photographs, and even taking one of the dummies with us, we plumped for a set which appeared to be virtually identical, size wise, to the originals (we couldn't find any of the original make from 15 years ago).

Of course, they weren't identical. At 0800 this morning we commenced removing the old ones and fitting the new ones. By 11:30 it was done and I was soaked and knackered. Should have been a 45 minute job!

newdoorhandles_zpsnqeegrcm.jpg

I haven't needed to look for some time but I assume plastic wood is still sold in this neck of the woods?

I haven't needed to look for some time but I assume plastic wood is still sold in this neck of the woods?

Yes, plastic wood filler is available in Thai Watsadu and IQ. It comes in small tins and they do have teak colour too. Been a couple of years since I bought any so my information may be out of date.

Your door handles are just a little more elaborate than mine, Yorky. However, I can change mine in 5 minutes.

A German mat of mine got a local " craftsman " to build him a very elaborate double front doors.
Payment was demanded and, delivered, up front.
2 months later, the first door arrived and was hung.
The finish was surperb but, when the other 1/2 arrived and was hung, the latches and handles were, 40mm offset, no close.
Old mate said, I come and fix, yea right, never to be seen again and " No one " knows were he lives.

I
A German mat of mine got a local " craftsman " to build him a very elaborate double front doors.
Payment was demanded and, delivered, up front.
2 months later, the first door arrived and was hung.
The finish was surperb but, when the other 1/2 arrived and was hung, the latches and handles were, 40mm offset, no close.
Old mate said, I come and fix, yea right, never to be seen again and " No one " knows were he lives.
I would have thought Germans would have better business sense than to pay anyone in Thailand up-front. Surely that is a big 'no-no'!

As far as I can recollect, the only "up front" payment I have ever made is for insurance. And that has on one occasion been a lash up.

The result was a patch up job that really looks out of place.
I have been asked for a complete up front payment by two brick layers.
My reply was, " I pay for materials and, when you are finished and clean up your mess, then you get paid ".
Never saw the f**kers again.

Following on from Nomad's post about his decision to get a bit of work done in the cool season, I decided to placate my wife and finally change the front door handles which were getting a little tatty and stiff.

After a lot of measuring and to and fro-ing to the shop with photographs, and even taking one of the dummies with us, we plumped for a set which appeared to be virtually identical, size wise, to the originals (we couldn't find any of the original make from 15 years ago).

Of course, they weren't identical. At 0800 this morning we commenced removing the old ones and fitting the new ones. By 11:30 it was done and I was soaked and knackered. Should have been a 45 minute job!

newdoorhandles_zpsnqeegrcm.jpg
Reminds me of a comedy show ....clue four candles..... Fork handles.....

Sent from my Star using Tapatalk

Given that I'd already lashed out on the handles, I thought it was time to replace the doors themselves (the originals were never perfect - another story). I think it was about 4 months ago that they were ordered, a month ago that they were fitted and this week the snagging was finally completed. Other than the handles being installed by a midget, I'm reasonably happy.

front doors.jpg

Last edited:
Another visit was required (third in all) to "refit" the doors that were swollen by the recent increase in humidity (apparently). It's now somewhat worrying that by February we'll be able to access the house without opening said doors.

Oh well, TiT.

Back