Agriculture Minister chairs seminar to promote Surin black jasmine rice

gotlost

Kap Chong R Us Member
Agriculture Minister chairs seminar to promote Surin black jasmine rice

SURIN, 27 November 2015 (NNT) – Agriculture and Cooperatives Minister Gen Chatchai Sarikulya has presided over a seminar to disseminate knowledge concerning the cultivation of Surin black jasmine rice.

The seminar was organized by the Rice Department at the Surin Rice Research Center in Mueang district of Surin. While chairing the event, Gen Chatchai stated that the Rice Department is ready to certify Surin black jasmine rice in 2016. Therefore, the seminar was held with a view to transferring related production technologies to farmers and increasing their knowledge about this new rice strain so as to minimize production costs and raise their competitiveness.

The Agriculture Minister also advised farmers to form networks as a way to improve management and bring in more income.

Surin black jasmine rice has undergone study by the Surin Rice Research Center since 2005. When cooked, it has a soft texture and a nice fragrance. It is abundant in antioxidants and essential nutrients.

-- NNT 2015-11-27
footer_n.gif

Indeed, we are growing 2 rai of this rice as an axperiment this year, still has to be harvested. The yield is promising.

Indeed, we are growing 2 rai of this rice as an axperiment this year, still has to be harvested. The yield is promising.

If and I just say "If" whats is the selling price per kg and do you have a local mill that would buy it.

Just a test gotlost, no idea where to sell it .. if my missus wants to sell it. For family consumption mostly I think, when I'm back in LOS I'll bring you some to try.
I think she might keep it for sowing next year.

If and I just say "If" whats is the selling price per kg and do you have a local mill that would buy it.

This is exactly what I was thinking GL. But value adding any harvest must be the way to go. 9 Baht/kg Hom Mali is just not going to cut it.

Just a test gotlost, no idea where to sell it .. if my missus wants to sell it. For family consumption mostly I think, when I'm back in LOS I'll bring you some to try.
I think she might keep it for sowing next year.

Just curious. The Thais will grow a rai or two of sticky rice and the black rice also all for personal consumption. The sticky rice is about 3 to 4 baht per kg less than the jasmine rice. I just don't see this black rice being grown to much in the area.

It is a new strain to work with to them and they are afraid to test it, afraid to loose a crop because they never tried the black one before.
I had the same problems 13 years ago when I made my wife sow red fragant jasmin.
She thought it would not grow on her fields.
She also thought "we farang" didnot know anything about ricefarming ... I doubled her yield in one year just by leveling the ricepaddies, making proper irrigationcanals and forbiding her to burn the stumps after the harvest.
Okay I had to plow twice ...
And almost tripled it the year after without using chemical fertilizer ... she just said I was lucky !!!
Now I'm considering of growing clover after the harvest. Just as a fertilizer.

Clover maybe a little water hungry Croc, How about Lucerne ? Lucerne has a longer tap root and is more arid hardy (Dry season growing).
Which clover would you consider, White or Red? Keeping out the stray Kwai maybe a problem even with adequate fencing.

Back