Rubber plantations

Sounds like the owner knows that my wife has a farang husband and plenty of spare cash. Thanks for the heads up on potential.
Looks like the farang bank is closed for now.
We have another 8 rai that is fallow. The brothers in law planted eucalyptus first and then cassava--epic fail.
There is more potential in oil palm and, if looked after, ( abundant water and correct fertiliser), payback should be about 3 years.
This will not go ahead until I am there to oversee the operation as, we will need to sink a bore and fabricate a trailer mounted pump and gen set combination.
Further to this, a series of 2000 litre tanks,( maybe 3-4 ) will be required to supply gravity fed irrigation.

We have another 8 rai that is fallow. The brothers in law planted eucalyptus first and then cassava--epic fail.
There is more potential in oil palm and, if looked after, ( abundant water and correct fertiliser), payback should be about 3 years.
This will not go ahead until I am there to oversee the operation as, we will need to sink a bore and fabricate a trailer mounted pump and gen set combination.
Further to this, a series of 2000 litre tanks,( maybe 3-4 ) will be required to supply gravity fed irrigation.

You will be burning up your money on palms as they are not suited for issan . The Government sold the farmers in issan a pack of BS on rubber and palm they are ok in the south but not where you get 6 months of rain and 6 months of draught. As long as the ATM keeps working the extended family will keep taking.

Cutting away all the bragging that goes on from time to time, I would guess there are very few on this forum who can say farming, in any form, pays all their monthly bills and provides all their spending money too. I can understand that it may provide a tax free form of income for SWMBO, some money in her back pocket so to speak, but unless it is done on an industrial scale, does it provide anywhere near a clear income of say, 50,000 or 100,000 baht/month? Just wondering.

Cutting away all the bragging that goes on from time to time, I would guess there are very few on this forum who can say farming, in any form, pays all their monthly bills and provides all their spending money too. I can understand that it may provide a tax free form of income for SWMBO, some money in her back pocket so to speak, but unless it is done on an industrial scale, does it provide anywhere near a clear income of say, 50,000 or 100,000 baht/month? Just wondering.

Do you really need to wonder NM. Not many rich farmers in Isaan. If I break even each year I count it as a success. So why do it ?
I really wonder about that particular question though. Most of you guys know that if they did not plant rice their heads would explode.

A snowball chance in hell.:rolleyes: BTW what tax.o_O:D

You will be burning up your money on palms as they are not suited for issan . The Government sold the farmers in issan a pack of BS on rubber and palm they are ok in the south but not where you get 6 months of rain and 6 months of draught. As long as the ATM keeps working the extended family will keep taking.
Good heads up mate. I have done a little Google on these trees and the geographic location looked ok ?.
More research required.

I do know some that do make about 300k a year by growing cassava in 8 to 10 rai plots that they lease for the year. These plots they get for about 1k per rai .

I used to visit frequently a cassava-growing area just outside Phitsanulok. It doesn't take much growing (drought-resistant), but the harvesting is back-breaking, and I doubt whether the farmers were making as much as you say. 25,000 a month would be a pretty good income here.

I used to visit frequently a cassava-growing area just outside Phitsanulok. It doesn't take much growing (drought-resistant), but the harvesting is back-breaking, and I doubt whether the farmers were making as much as you say. 25,000 a month would be a pretty good income here.

Your spot on with your outlook. My wife family have put 5 kids through the Surin and Ubon Uni system , 4 years for each and have done it by what I stated. They have plots all over the area. They work separately and and the times all together about 8 adults when needed. This is in combination with their 40 rai of yearly rice.. My wife mom and dad do help the others but do not grow any cassava. They have their own 30 rai of rice and the 8.5 rai that we live on which has been turned into an Organic Farm and THE CHICKEN RANCH. IMO the organic farm is the way to go. Keep it below 20 rai and you can produce most your vegetable and fruits need for your family with some left over to sell locally.

IMO the organic farm is the way to go. Keep it below 20 rai and you can produce most your vegetable and fruits need for your family with some left over to sell locally.

It is certainly the way to go GL. Is Mrs GL going to get a certified organic tick? I also believe there is a market for not only organic but Low glycaemic index (GI) variety of rice.
There is an abundance of family grown rice varieties that has been grown for generations in the area. This rice is only consumed by the family concerned.
My particular family has a variety of light pink rice, I believe to be Low GI as my diabetic wife can eat bowls of it and it does not effect her blood sugar.
Getting it tested is very expensive though as there is no test other then to feed it to a control group and test for blood sugar response. As the complex carbohydrate breaks down into sugar differently according to its particular molecule and each food is slightly different.

It is certainly the way to go GL. Is Mrs GL going to get a certified organic tick? I also believe there is a market for not only organic but Low glycaemic index (GI) variety of rice.
There is an abundance of family grown rice varieties that has been grown for generations in the area. This rice is only consumed by the family concerned.
My particular family has a variety of light pink rice, I believe to be Low GI as my diabetic wife can eat bowls of it and it does not effect her blood sugar.
Getting it tested is very expensive though as there is no test other then to feed it to a control group and test for blood sugar response. As the complex carbohydrate breaks down into sugar differently according to its particular molecule and each food is slightly different.

If you go orangic locally you will do ok BUT if you thank your going to make a killing by going BIG in Thailand you better be prepared to lose your ass. This is the problem with faring. My wife got into local group that are seriously into this subject, they are individuals and government groups. She has taken a very strong interest in this subject. I let her run with it and so far its working.

We grow most of the vegetables we eat organic. No fertilisers at all. As we all know the vegetables on the market, growed by locals are full with pesticides. Because they want to produce as much as possible in the shortest possible time. For local people it's not the quality but the quantity that counts. They will never give a better price for organic vetgables, except for a very small minority. Organic is booming business at the moment in bangkok.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/learning...ruits-vegetables-govt-quality-mark-fails-test

What couldn
Durex trees do not deplete the soil nor do eucalyptus. Eucalyptus you can not grow any else until you remove the stumps and roots. Rubber trees take on an average of 7 years to become usable for tapping and during that time of growth you can grow other crops between the rows. After about 7 years the canopy of the rubber trees block out the sun light needed by other crops. As long as the sellers is not trying to regroup their investment then the land IMHO may be a good buy. Don't worry about the cosy of clearing. SWMBO family will take care of that. The timber they harvest will make them a nice profit.
What could I expect to pay per rai of land in Kapchoeng area? assuming that it's planted with rubber trees that will need to be removed. 13 rai is on offer?? I'm told about 100,000 bht per rai?

It is a little bit complicated as it involves such things as type of road it adjoins, filled or unfilled and other such things.
Yorky's page is a very good guide though and very accurate.

http://lifeinsurin.com/living.html

Oh and don't forget "Farang Loading Tariff". Bye the way did you know about an obscure Thai law that states. If land is bought by a Thai partner and uses a Foreigners money that land if proved can be forfeited to the state. Never heard of this happening yet!
Anyway if you are married and your wife buys land you have to sign a document that states in so many words. "The land will never belong to you, you have no control and is not part of any marriage assets" Cheers and have a nice day.

It is a little bit complicated as it involves such things as type of road it adjoins, filled or unfilled and other such things.

Oh and don't forget "Farang Loading Tariff". Bye the way did you know about an obscure Thai law that states. If land is bought by a Thai partner and uses a Foreigners money that land if proved can be forfeited to the state. Never heard of this happening yet!
Anyway if you are married and your wife buys land you have to sign a document that states in so many words. "The land will never belong to you, you have no control and is not part of any marriage assets" Cheers and have a nice day.

Bull Shite on that marriage assets bit.

Bull Shite on that marriage assets bit.

So are you saying what was written on the form is Bull Shite. I don't know if I would want to test it in a court of law.
I have a feeling who would win.
I guess the old adage stands of don't invest in Thailand you are not willing to lose.

So are you saying what was written on the form is Bull Shite. I don't know if I would want to test it in a court of law.
I have a feeling who would win.
I guess the old adage stands of don't invest in Thailand you are not willing to lose.

Just more SinCity bar stolls stuck to the brain intack

Thanks for info. I am not sure of exact location of land on offer but it seems that the price has increased significantly in the last 5 years. I am back in LOS October so will view for myself, I doubt it's such a bargain that it will be snapped quickly & hope the x/rate is more favorable by then.
Regarding the fact that a farang cannot own anything in Thailand, I have learned that this also applies to a farang who marries a farang women in a farang country

Back