Trouble with a light switch

right, ta

what are those relays called in Thai? And where in BKK do I buy them?

right, ta

what are those relays called in Thai? And where in BKK do I buy them?

I know of two in Surin and one in Buriram that may be of help. Two of these are serious electrical parts house that do speak english. Show them what you want and there is a good chance they have it or can get for you..To add to that I know of another in Chiang Mai.

thanks for feedback, actually I was not aware of such relays

looked through my Misc. Electrical box and actually found 3 12V40A relays that had the desired property in addition to the "normal" working way,
tested all 3 with a multimeter and they certainly do what I want
I even remember where I bought those relays.

thanks

relay question

I'm redesigning pat of my relay stuff on one side of the engine

have a relay 12V/40A (DC that is) with 85 - 86 - 30 - 87a - 87 ports/plints/connectors/positions
will use it as a NC relay

negative connected to 85
main positive source, K, connected to 30 and flowing out on the 87a (the NC stream)
"alternative" positive source, A, when put on 86 will, assumably, cut the 30 - 87a link
when I put positive source, A, on 86 I will at the same time connect positive source, A, to 87a

will that upset the relay in any way? or is it OK to do this? Ie ok to put A on to both 86 and 87a?

(yes yes, will test a bit with multimeters and my small 12V transfomer) But maybe there some knowers here.

relay question

I'm redesigning pat of my relay stuff on one side of the engine

have a relay 12V/40A (DC that is) with 85 - 86 - 30 - 87a - 87 ports/plints/connectors/positions
will use it as a NC relay

negative connected to 85
main positive source, K, connected to 30 and flowing out on the 87a (the NC stream)
"alternative" positive source, A, when put on 86 will, assumably, cut the 30 - 87a link
when I put positive source, A, on 86 I will at the same time connect positive source, A, to 87a

will that upset the relay in any way? or is it OK to do this? Ie ok to put A on to both 86 and 87a?

(yes yes, will test a bit with multimeters and my small 12V transfomer) But maybe there some knowers here.

I am sure you know what happens if you hooked this up already. You will create a multi vibrator circuit that will oscillate at the resonant frequency of the relay coil. As K would power the relay until it cuts its self off only to be repeated over again. It would only cease after K is removed and A is applied. You can fix this though with a diode between 86 and 87a. 1n4004 will do the job.

I am sure you know what happens if you hooked this up already. You will create a multi vibrator circuit that will oscillate at the resonant frequency of the relay coil. As K would power the relay until it cuts its self off only to be repeated over again. It would only cease after K is removed and A is applied. You can fix this though with a diode between 86 and 87a. 1n4004 will do the job.
confusion-004.jpg

thanks, no haven't hooked it up, still on the drawing board, or drawing paper rather

I take my chances on explaining what I try to do (have several NO and NC relays):

I have an ignition switch with 4 positions, A(aux) O(off) I(ignition on) S(start) and I have a sink W(warradap - whole bunch of istruments)

W A O I S

Battery+ is connected to the O position
Signal cable to the starter is connected to the S position
Ignition cable is connected to the I position (the ignition cable goes straight into the engine computer, ECU)
Battery+ is also fed into the ECU, but only when the switch is in I or S position (a NO relay closes this battery+ circuit when Ignition goes live

When the switch is in I position (and S position) then W is fed with + from I, and also the fuel pump starts

So far so good.

What I would like in adition to the above is that when the switch is in A position W is fed with + from A (or from anywhere for that matter) and the fuel pump stops running

You are on the right track but you will need Diodes to isolate the separate 12V feeds and probably even one between the coil actuators to stop back emf triggering the device falsely.

Like Robert, I haven't a clue what you guys are talking about .......................

lost.jpg

another relay Q;

all relays I see in Bangkok have a black cable on the 86 connector (presumably destined to be ground)
the colour on the cable connected to 85 varies

but does it matter at all whether you connect + to 85 or 86 (or - to 85 or 86)?

another relay Q;

all relays I see in Bangkok have a black cable on the 86 connector (presumably destined to be ground)
the colour on the cable connected to 85 varies

but does it matter at all whether you connect + to 85 or 86 (or - to 85 or 86)?
if the operating circuit then i would say no if the ground cable goes to ground & not to a control unit.

Didn't find a Thai Language thread so I throw my Q in here.

OHM:

What would a rheostat or a potentiometer be called in Thai?

Well you came to the right place here Melvin being somebody who speaks and reads Thai and is also an Electronics Engineer.

ตัวต้านทานแบบเปลี่ยนค่าได้ (tua taan taan bearp plian dai) literally (a resistor type that you can change.)

but saying โพเทนชิโอมิเตอร์ (Potentiometer) to a tech will make them understand other then a tech you will get a blank look.

Well you came to the right place here Melvin being somebody who speaks and reads Thai and is also an Electronics Engineer.

ตัวต้านทานแบบเปลี่ยนค่าได้ (tua taan taan bearp plian dai) literally (a resistor type that you can change.)

but saying โพเทนชิโอมิเตอร์ (Potentiometer) to a tech will make them understand other then a tech you will get a blank look.

brilliant, thanks - ought to do the trick
will look for it in Baan Mo in BKK, lots and lots of knowledgeable people there.

they might even understand it if I drew the rheostat wiring diagram symbol

Didn't find a Thai Language thread so I throw my Q in here.

OHM:

What would a rheostat or a potentiometer be called in Thai?

Try asking for a โพเทนชิโอมิเตอร์ (Potentiometer) .... http://www.foodnetworksolution.com/wiki/word/7247/potentiometer-โพเทนชิโอมิเตอร์

or a

1. ตัวต้านทานแบบค่าคงที่ (Fixed Resistor) http://www.atom.rmutphysics.com/charud/oldnews/0/285/22/resistor1/resistor2.html
2. ตัวต้านทานแบบปรับค่าได้ (Adjustable Resistor)
3. ตัวต้านทานแบบเปลี่ยนค่าได้ (Variable Resistor)

depending on which type you need

Maybe get the wife to write it down for you , I hope that helps :D

adjustable and variable not being the same?

thanks a lot anyway

am after a rheostat were I can vary the resistance between 0 and 20 ohm.

guess I'll skip the wife write down bit, too much hassle to get married just in order to get a fuel meter to display properly

feel confident with the above stuff, some pretty sharp people in several shops in Baan Mo.

Back