Electricity Costs

I wonder if the mother in law's house is plugged into my meter. Bastards. Ha

Just ask to see the bastards' electric bill.

Remember to check the address on the bill to see if it matches their household and they didn't borrow a neighbor's bill to literally 'keep farang in the dark'. :cool:

Just ask to see the bastards' electric bill.

Remember to check the address on the bill to see if it matches their household and they didn't borrow a neighbor's bill to literally 'keep farang in the dark'. :cool:
Yes already thought of that Coffee got to think of a sneaky way to do it or I'll just get the answer "no have". Bastards.

Many will not belive the following, but it is the truth.
Mum and Dad's old house is at the back of ours on the same plot. Both houses have seperate meters, they pay theirs independantly. My Sister in law and I share the bill for our house that her and her family share with us.
I normaly pay around 2/3 rds of the bill she makes up the rest. On more than one occasionWhen I have not seen a bill for a while and ask my wife about when it should come, she says my sister paid it a while back, and told me not to tell you. Not all Thai's are greedy scheming git's.

Because of where I live, I have tapped into the industrial power grid. I have a 3 phase 150 Amp supply. So I subsequently pay industrial rate. I pay a set rate per kW/h with no daily charge or a stepped rate. I still get the FT reduction and pay 7% vat. Works out a bit more expensive, but alas this is what had to be. I used 281 kW/h last month.
My connection could power a whole village! NM has seen it. I designed it with PEA and made some good friends there. I had to do the main wiring connect myself as local electricians would not touch it.

Many will not belive the following, but it is the truth.
Mum and Dad's old house is at the back of ours on the same plot. Both houses have seperate meters, they pay theirs independantly. My Sister in law and I share the bill for our house that her and her family share with us.
I normaly pay around 2/3 rds of the bill she makes up the rest. On more than one occasionWhen I have not seen a bill for a while and ask my wife about when it should come, she says my sister paid it a while back, and told me not to tell you. Not all Thai's are greedy scheming git's.

Method in their madness, methinks,

They have paid in full the last 2/3 colder months bills, and will expect you to pay the next 3 (March April and May)..somewhat higher than what they paid. :)

They have paid in full the last 2/3 colder months bills, and will expect you to pay the next 3 (March April and May)..somewhat higher than what they paid. :)

You are very sceptical Nick. Over the last 20 years I have known occasions where Thais have been very fair and generous when contributing to bills.

Not that I can think of one off the top of my head though.

Last edited:
Sister in law (yes the grafter Coffee) always pays the water bill for me and I have to force it from her. She grows veg in my garden and sells in the market and I don't want her to pay. Pity the other bastards don't offer for the diesel. Ha. Sorry ot.

No Nick. As is usual these days Lek and I will be off back to the UK for six months on Mon, sis in law will then be paying the whole bill by herself. She realy is a "good egg" and pays her share of everything, she wouldn't have it any other way.

Glad to read that, Mahdam.
As long as you're happy that's all that matters in ones life.
Contentment comes a close second.

The news you'd rather not hear - electricity prices set to rise for May to August

2am.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

BANGKOK: -- Electricity prices for the next four months will rise by 12.52 satang per unit.

The hike is due to increase in costs for generating electricity and is due to a change in the FT (fuel tax) rate that fluctuates according to costs in operating power plants, reported Thai Rath.

The change will mean the average cost of a unit of electricity will be 3.5079 per unit from May to August.

The FT rate has been adjusted from -24.77 to -37.29 said spokesman Wiraphon Jirapraditthakun meaning that prices would rise.

This is due to increased gas prices.

Source: Thai Rath

The FT rate has been adjusted from -24.77 to -37.29 said spokesman Wiraphon Jirapraditthakun meaning that prices would rise.

I'm not a mathematician but that makes no sense to me. If a minus figure increases it signifies a drop in prices, not a rise.

I also have no idea how they calculate the "average" cost as the rates vary dependent on useage.

For a family who uses 650 units of electricity per month the average cost is currently Bht 4.02/unit (incl V.A.T.)

For a family who uses 150 units of electricity per month the average cost is currently Bht 3.35/unit (incl V.A.T.)

Wiraphon Jirapraditthakun ought to claim his money back on the degree he bought.

Back