1 kg Mangos

nomad97

Resident Geek
We have three mango trees in our garden, one of which was sold with the claim that it produced mangos in excess of 1 kg each. This tree is now in its 6th year and has, for the first time, produced a bumper crop. The rains and strong winds of two nights ago caused one mango to fall to the ground. This is already a good sized mango and weighs in at nearly 700 grams. We are having it for dessert after our midday meal.

Attachments

• DSCN1434.JPG
    DSCN1434.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 13
The mangos are getting bigger ..................................

17760126_1392271204165268_8551920776382993575_n.jpg

The second of two severe storms in three days was too much for my prize mango tree. I had to lop a couple of the branches this morning in order to save the rest of the tree. The main branch was overloaded with 1 kilogram mangos and the weight was too much. At least we have a few green mangos for the table, and big ones too. The largest topped the scales at 1.15 kilos - not too shoddy eh?

DSCN1538 (2).JPG

The second of two severe storms in three days was too much for my prize mango tree. I had to lop a couple of the branches this morning in order to save the rest of the tree. The main branch was overloaded with 1 kilogram mangos and the weight was too much. At least we have a few green mangos for the table, and big ones too. The largest topped the scales at 1.15 kilos - not too shoddy eh?

View attachment 17077
That's one wicked mango.

How did you get on with the mango tree, Nomad? Will it survive?

How did you get on with the mango tree, Nomad? Will it survive?

Thanks for your concern. The tree is certainly worth saving. The mangoes are delicious.

DSCN1547.JPG

As a first-aid solution I cut off a couple of the heavy, overhanging branches and have dug-in two posts with a cross-bar to support the tree. Hopefully, this additional support will save the tree in the short-term. As soon as the tree has finished fruiting for the year I will look at a more permanent solution. This will include some selective pruning and a permanent support system.

Two weeks of rain and the mangoes are still growing. The latest to fall from the tree tops the scale at 1.3 kilograms.

DSCN1560.JPG

Back