Newbie expectations

Cent

FORUM SPONSOR
Newbies arriving in Surin and other smaller cities throughout Thailand seem to think that everything outside their usual visited touristy cities, like Phuket, Pattaya, Bangkok, etc will be much cheaper for everything. Why is this? From what I have experienced the only thing cheaper in Surin and the smaller cities is residential rent. Everything else except maybe roadside food stalls and fresh markets is very close to being the same prices all over the country. They also do not seem to realize that costs in the provinces for many things is actually more expensive than in Bangkok, where there are more customers and trade, and where things are more easily available and not having shipping costs to get them out to the provinces. And due to the less availability of commercial spaces in the smaller cities these buildings and rental spaces are actually, or can be, quite expensive to rent in the 'downtown' and surrounding areas. With the cost of everything going up, hell, skyrocketing, the past few years, ALL OVER THE COUNTRY, they seem to think that magically prices in the provinces will be less expensive, when actually this is far from the truth of it.

Lack of experience living in Thailand as opposed to just visiting on holiday before moving out of their holiday spots with their new wives and girlfriends to her 'hometown'? Any thoughts on this mindset many fresh-faced newbies or wrinkled retirees seem to have?

Nope ! You are spot on with that OP @Cent . One thing though, If you go shopping with your wife in the back blocks it will cost you way more then the hot spots.
I am never allowed to show my face when my wife goes shopping in the markets or 'back blocks' as you call them. The 'farang' price differential is a very significant factor. My wife will get a far better, cheaper price without me in attendance.

With the cost of everything going up, hell, skyrocketing, the past few years, ALL OVER THE COUNTRY, they seem to think that magically prices in the provinces will be less expensive, when actually this is far from the truth of it.
Lack of experience living in Thailand as opposed to just visiting on holiday before moving out of their holiday spots with their new wives and girlfriends to her 'hometown'? Any thoughts...

As a single fellow I always found the opposite to be true. Surin was a lot less expensive than the tourísta hot zones.

It's significantly more expensive once you've got a family...but that would be true anywhere.

I'll admit a 60 bhat hotdog-on-bun with all the fixings sounds appealing every so often. :)

Last edited:
As a single fellow I always found the opposite to be true. Surin was a lot less expensive than the tourísta hot zones.

It's significantly more expensive once you've got a family...but that would be true anywhere.

I'll admit a 60 bhat hotdog-on-bun with all the fixings sounds appealing every so often. :)
Really? You eat at home/cook your meals at home. Not out nightly at the bars (many save by drinking at home, far cheaper) and eating at the restaurants daily and nightly, finding feminine companionship out of the house is a big drain on the average single man's wallet. I don't know, but I haven't been single in so long now my memory escapes me at the costs. Surin was cheaper years ago, but these days? From what I have heard the past few years from others, pre-covid, the gals in Surin were quoting Pattaya prices.

Would love an all beef hot dog in a butter toasted bun with all the works. I use the better quality pork dogs (can't find a beef hot dog in these parts) and make my own from time to time at home.

@Cent …agree entirely.

Unless you want to buy poor quality locally you can invariably get foodstuffs at a better price in Pattaya and Bangkok. Not necessarily on Beach Road or Sukhumvit, but if know where to go you will find excellent value.

The availability of better quality products has increased significantly in the last 17 years - that doesn’t mean that all Thai venders use them. Lowest price often seems to be the objective; low price often equates to low quality. I can remember paying 30 Baht (maybe less) in the early days for a pad krappow and it was full of fat/gristle. Now (around Bang Saray) I pay 50 Baht and the quality of the minced pork is excellent.

Really? You eat at home/cook your meals at home. Not out nightly at the bars (many save by drinking at home, far cheaper) and eating at the restaurants daily and nightly, finding feminine companionship out of the house is a big drain on the average single man's wallet.

Really. Start with baby formula and diapers...work your way up to private school...feeding four as opposed to one...clothing...onto Uni fees...healthcare and transportation for others...including the 'family drain' prevalent to Thai familial society.
You've been there with your lovely Mrs, intelligent daughter and your home team, Cent.

(Almost no one is out trying to get laid
and inebriated while in the full family mode...if they're content.
Hats off to those that can. :p )

A single man can do whatever he wants if he has the juice in the bank to support that type of play...otherwise it's going to be a sad time counting dollars and contemplating their future when times are tight.

I've noticed most of whining comes from those who may not be in a good frame of mind or long-term financial health.
jimo

Last edited:
Not out nightly at the bars (many save by drinking at home, far cheaper) and eating at the restaurants daily and nightly, finding feminine companionship out of the house is a big drain on the average single man's wallet. I don't know, but I haven't been single in so long now my memory escapes me at the costs. Surin was cheaper years ago, but these days? From what I have heard the past few years from others, pre-covid, the gals in Surin were quoting Pattaya prices.

Would love an all beef hot dog in a butter toasted bun with all the works. I use the better quality pork dogs (can't find a beef hot dog in these parts) and make my own from time to time at home.

Almost all things are less expensive here than on our home turf back in our first world western domiciles.

'Tang' definitely is for sure. :)
That is probably how most of us/we/they (expats) wound up here in the first place. :)
Again jimo.

@Cent …agree entirely.

Unless you want to buy poor quality locally you can invariably get foodstuffs at a better price in Pattaya and Bangkok. Not necessarily on Beach Road or Sukhumvit, but if know where to go you will find excellent value.

The availability of better quality products has increased significantly in the last 17 years - that doesn’t mean that all Thai venders use them. Lowest price often seems to be the objective; low price often equates to low quality. I can remember paying 30 Baht (maybe less) in the early days for a pad krappow and it was full of fat/gristle. Now (around Bang Saray) I pay 50 Baht and the quality of the minced pork is excellent.
I have also noticed recently that very few places have their menu up on their FB business pages, or websites. We have our menu/prices on our page. Quite a few seem to not bother or would rather not show the menu. I think I know why, at least partially. More for the mid-range places I have seen, the hi-so expensive places don't care (as a matter of fact I think they like the bragging rights, sort of a 'if you can't pay our prices we don't want you and don't bother'). Many places have had to raise their prices, or, some keep the lower price but give you smaller portions, or use less pricey ingredients, rice grades being one way they do that. The price of everything has skyrocketed as I mentioned, especially farang food ingredients. Thais have a habit of trying like hell to keep their prices the same or lower than their local competitors. They are loathe to increase their product pricing until the next guy raises his. Which usually means they are behind the curve and losing their profits, making it harder for them to serve good foods and compete. Lowers the standards of many places. IMHO.

Was just down Soi Cola picking up a cake for my wife's birthday at Celebrate. Just about every shopfront is full of businesses. Competition there must be fierce I would think. Many places to choose to frequent, but a limited amount of customer base, especially for the farang places. It's amazing how many new places there are since the Covid 'went away'. Just my observations.

Really. Start with baby formula and diapers...work your way up to private school...feeding four as opposed to one...clothing...onto Uni fees...healthcare and transportation for others...including the 'family drain' prevalent to Thai familial society.
You've been there with your lovely Mrs, intelligent daughter and your home team, Cent.

(Almost no one is out trying to get laid
and inebriated while in the full family mode...if they're content.
Hats off to those that can. :p )

A single man can do whatever he wants if he has the juice in the bank to support that type of play...otherwise it's going to be a sad time counting dollars and contemplating their future when times are tight.

I've noticed most of whining comes from those who may not be in a good frame of mind or long-term financial health.
jimo
"Start with baby formula and diapers". Happily never had to do that here. Use the teat and wash the diapers and reuse (cloth).

Done the rest. School is not that expensive unless sending to private expat type schooling. Even uni is much cheaper than in the west.

Was talking about the single guys and their costs, not married men slipping out to cheat. And many of the single guys either have a decent job here, or on-line work with decent pay, or just visiting as they can and still working back in the home country.

True for the single men, and worse if their income is fixed and not increasing with the high cost of living these days. Being on a fixed income has hit hard for a lot of guys, whether single or domesticated. It ain't cheap any more for either.

Not so much whining, but seeing the reality of what once was a good deal and wondering how to make ends meet for some/many.

I have also noticed recently that very few places have their menu up on their FB business pages, or websites. We have our menu/prices on our page. Quite a few seem to not bother or would rather not show the menu. I think I know why, at least partially. More for the mid-range places I have seen, the hi-so expensive places don't care (as a matter of fact I think they like the bragging rights, sort of a 'if you can't pay our prices we don't want you and don't bother'). Many places have had to raise their prices, or, some keep the lower price but give you smaller portions, or use less pricey ingredients, rice grades being one way they do that. The price of everything has skyrocketed as I mentioned, especially farang food ingredients. Thais have a habit of trying like hell to keep their prices the same or lower than their local competitors. They are loathe to increase their product pricing until the next guy raises his. Which usually means they are behind the curve and losing their profits, making it harder for them to serve good foods and compete. Lowers the standards of many places. IMHO.

Was just down Soi Cola picking up a cake for my wife's birthday at Celebrate. Just about every shopfront is full of businesses. Competition there must be fierce I would think. Many places to choose to frequent, but a limited amount of customer base, especially for the farang places. It's amazing how many new places there are since the Covid 'went away'. Just my observations.
P.S. I forgot to add, most of the farang oriented places had 2 or 3 customers, some none, and some don't even bother to open until dark. No customers, on a Saturday afternoon.

@Cent …agree entirely.

40b in SSK Market/bar area. Good too!

"Start with baby formula and diapers". Happily never had to do that here. Use the teat and wash the diapers and reuse (cloth).

Done the rest. School is not that expensive unless sending to private expat type schooling. Even uni is much cheaper than in the west.

Was talking about the single guys and their costs, not married men slipping out to cheat. And many of the single guys either have a decent job here, or on-line work with decent pay, or just visiting as they can and still working back in the home country.

True for the single men, and worse if their income is fixed and not increasing with the high cost of living these days. Being on a fixed income has hit hard for a lot of guys, whether single or domesticated. It ain't cheap any more for either.

Not so much whining, but seeing the reality of what once was a good deal and wondering how to make ends meet for some/many.

Remember also that some who have been here a long time had fixed pensions that, for example, gave them 71 Baht for every Pound. The current exchange rate at, say, 43 is some 28 Baht less - that is almost a 40% reduction in buying power…….no pensioner should be buying diapers!

Remember also that some who have been here a long time had fixed pensions that, for example, gave them 71 Baht for every Pound. The current exchange rate at, say, 43 is some 28 Baht less - that is almost a 40% reduction in buying power…….no pensioner should be buying diapers!
"no pensioner should be buying diapers!"

Or changing them. :)

Many working women use the throw away diapers, and use the formula for the kid. Best thing, healthiest, for the majority of the little nippers is to suckle at Mama's teat.

If the lass has a modern washing machine, and is not working full time, to save money she should be washing the cloth diapers and breast feeding the child. I know this will make me seem/sound like an old fart (which I am) but really these throw away diapers are nothing but gross pollution. If a woman is working full time bringing in the bacon I can see the time saving both things help with. But I have seen how much those frigging disposable nappies cost, and formula is a crazy high cost, and in my humble (not so) opinion a waste of money. Use the damn tit for what it is meant for, feeding the kids. :)

"no pensioner should be buying diapers!"

Or changing them. :)

Many working women use the throw away diapers, and use the formula for the kid. Best thing, healthiest, for the majority of the little nippers is to suckle at Mama's teat.

If the lass has a modern washing machine, and is not working full time, to save money she should be washing the cloth diapers and breast feeding the child. I know this will make me seem/sound like an old fart (which I am) but really these throw away diapers are nothing but gross pollution. If a woman is working full time bringing in the bacon I can see the time saving both things help with. But I have seen how much those frigging disposable nappies cost, and formula is a crazy high cost, and in my humble (not so) opinion a waste of money. Use the damn tit for what it is meant for, feeding the kids. :)
I agree with you 100 percent.

Back