'Beach bar' opening by Frenchman

Wonderful hosts and a very innovative plan for Surin's Soi Cola.

From my perspective opening night was quite successful 19:00 - 21:00.

If the young affluent Thais frequent this concept bar it should become a successful venture. Essential to the business comes a big welcoming smile behind the bar.

Where else in Surin can you get Sex on the Beach or a Mojito fixed proper from 18:00 into the wee hours ? Chokdee5

Welcome to Surin Francoise & Pat - wishing you the best of luck !

I also applaud the introduction of new, innovative blood, and look forward to trying the fare in due course.

Success for any such business is dependent upon patronage by the Thais and I hope coffee is right about the affluent locals using it. Without wishing to sound like a hackneyed old-timer, how are Thais likely to respond to beer prices at that level ?

Looks nice and the food on the FB page looks great, I hope to be there around Christmas.

Interestingly more international as the photo shows a cask of Mont Clair wine which comes from South Africa, none the less, I am sure it will wash down the food well.

I had a couple of glasses of Mont Clair at the opening. It is described as the "house wine" and is 80 baht a glass (I have paid more in several other places). There is also a wine list with some good French wines priced, of course, rather higher.

I add my thanks and best wishes to Francois and Pat for all success.

I also applaud the introduction of new, innovative blood, and look forward to trying the fare in due course.

Success for any such business is dependent upon patronage by the Thais and I hope coffee is right about the affluent locals using it. Without wishing to sound like a hackneyed old-timer, how are Thais likely to respond to beer prices at that level ?

I am sure the Soi Kola knocking shops ---oops karaokes - charge a darned sight more for beer!

I am sure the Soi Kola knocking shops ---oops karaokes - charge a darned sight more for beer!

This is not a karaoke bar.

As one who was whingeing about Sangsom prices I can't imagine you drinking many LEO's @ 80 Baht a time. :smile:

More important is how comfortable the THAIS are with such prices - question asked because, frankly, I don't know. In a culture where they are used to going out and just buying ice and soda I am interested to know how far 'affluence' changes such behaviour.

As one who was whingeing about Sangsom prices I can't imagine you drinking many LEO's @ 80 Baht a time. :smile:

More important is how comfortable the THAIS are with such prices - question asked because, frankly, I don't know. In a culture where they are used to going out and just buying ice and soda I am interested to know how far 'affluence' changes such behaviour.

One things for sure they are directly across from Speed Dico and that in itself can not hurt. Wish them the best.Chokdee5

From 6-8 PM the beer is buy 2 get one free which makes it quite a good deal. Also, as John has said the wine is only 80B which is the cheapest in town. The highest priced food on the menu is only 120B . The wine and cocktails are quite large portions also. I had a couple of shots and they were 80B each. I found it to be a good value.

From 6-8 PM the beer is buy 2 get one free which makes it quite a good deal. Also, as John has said the wine is only 80B which is the cheapest in town. The highest priced food on the menu is only 120B . The wine and cocktails are quite large portions also. I had a couple of shots and they were 80B each. I found it to be a good value.

Joe, I agree with you.

My points remains about the Thais. Success will hinge on patronage from the Thais and it they who must perceive the same value.

At least they won't have the same issues as AtB with the seating! :smile:

I think you will find -if you look again - that small leo's are on sale at 65baht and not 80baht.

What I pay for a beer or Sangsom or indeed any other drink need not oncern you! I merely made comment (not a whinge) about the apparent excessive price for a shot of Sangsom, in a local hostelry of yours, which was one third of the price they likely paid for the whole bottle.

The point I was making is that the Beach Bar beer prices were somewhat cheaper than the neighbouring night spots, which the Thais fill most nights.

Joe, I agree with you.

My points remains about the Thais. Success will hinge on patronage from the Thais and it they who must perceive the same value.

At least they won't have the same issues as AtB with the seating! :smile:

Since he opens at 6:00PM, and most farangs have had their fill and have gone home by then, he will definitely need Thai customers. From what I have seen the younger Thais around Speed 3 and soi Kola only buy water and bring their own whisky. There are plenty of middle class 20-30 year old Thais that don't mind spending a few baht. If he can attract them they should do well.

Last edited:
I think you will find -if you look again - that small leo's are on sale at 65baht and not 80baht.

What I pay for a beer or Sangsom or indeed any other drink need not oncern you! I merely made comment (not a whinge) about the apparent excessive price for a shot of Sangsom, in a local hostelry of yours, which was one third of the price they likely paid for the whole bottle.

The point I was making is that the Beach Bar beer prices were somewhat cheaper than the neighbouring night spots, which the Thais fill most nights.

You don't drink small LEOs - I was obviously referring to large LEO's as they are on the board at 80 Baht.

You will probably want to do your usual jobsworth mathematics on 330ml vs 640ml :smile:

The buffet provided was excellant as well as the samples of apple crumble. Very good! Francois and Pat are great hosts and fun people to be with. Thanks for the opening night party. I wish you success and will be there often.

Opening of the Beach

Thank you all for having visited us yesterday, we had a lot of fun, hope you'll be back soon.
We heard you about sitting, we have already purchased some cushions and will arrange a normal table and chairs at the back.
Cheers

The Beach Surin

Spoke to Fansuhua last night hes going to start opening from 4pm shortly and on a sunday from lunch time possibly doing a buffet style food, he is open to all suggestions, tables and chairs will also becoming soon, hes a great host food is excellent beer is cold and theres a great atmosphere there, This is what Surin needs something different

Spoke to Fansuhua last night hes going to start opening from 4pm shortly and on a sunday from lunch time possibly doing a buffet style food, he is open to all suggestions, tables and chairs will also becoming soon, hes a great host food is excellent beer is cold and theres a great atmosphere there, This is what Surin needs something different
Thank you for the kind words, Trigger. We have ordered more high chairs and will put a table at bar height in the back of the Beach.
We might do a buffet style Sunday Roast with salads, roast potatoes and nice marinated pork shoulder barbecue, all together with a glass of wine, priced around 300 baths.
What do you guys think?
Cheers and thank you for your continued support, we are doing a great first week

Thank you for the kind words, Trigger. We have ordered more high chairs and will put a table at bar height in the back of the Beach.
We might do a buffet style Sunday Roast with salads, roast potatoes and nice marinated pork shoulder barbecue, all together with a glass of wine, priced around 300 baths.
What do you guys think?
Cheers and thank you for your continued support, we are doing a great first week
And, yes we open at 4 now.
Cheers

Me to them seats are not for me !
Never been one for sitting on the floor and the upright seat back would kill me .
Looks a nice place but I need table and chairs !

From what I've heard Atb, I would need a fit young lady to assist me out of the seats. Perhaps a reclining bed may be more suitable for me. Also, Bht 80.00 for one of those crap bottles of Leo appears to be a little over the top.

From what I've heard Atb, I would need a fit young lady to assist me out of the seats. Perhaps a reclining bed may be more suitable for me. Also, Bht 80.00 for one of those crap bottles of Leo appears to be a little over the top.
Hi Yorky, we will have a table and chairs in about 3 days and your info about the price of the Leo small is incorrect. We sell it 65 baths.
Hope to see you one day. Cheers

What do you guys think?

Most places price 80 to 100 B for a glass of wine , so 300 B is very reasonable indeed T.I.C.

Back