Where are all the Rice harvesters this year?

mahdam

Surin Founding Father
Took a long drive around the villages around my home nr Krasang this morning.
There is Hectare upon Hectare of standing Rice, all ready to cut, but I only saw about
half a dozen harvesters working. Usually at this time of year you would expect to see one in
every other field. Not so this year, I wonder why? they still get their 600bht per Rai
regardless of the crap price at the mill.

Possibly the crap price at the mill has dampened the enthusiasm of some of the growers.

(Possibly they're in another locale and will hit Krasang later on.)

It's pretty much all cut here in the Sangkha/Sinarong area. Driving around these parts was an adventure for the last three weeks. Between the slow moving tractors without tail lights and the rice drying in the roads it was quite dangerous at night.

The junta nipped the moving of rice harvesters from district to district in the bud last year. They imposed a very heavy tax on them and therefor they are staying in their area and not traveling. You have to book and stand in line.

Just stared in the KC area expect it go until after January 1. Rains were late in the area which has pushed the harvest back.

The junta nipped the moving of rice harvesters from district to district in the bud last year. They imposed a very heavy tax on them and therefor they are staying in their area and not traveling. You have to book and stand in line.

My brother inlaw bought one last year because of this GL.

My friend owns3 harvesters (just bought a new one for 2.5 million) and the army tried to get heavy handed with him. He stood his ground and told them to go bother somebody else. Luckily it seemed to have worked.

f**k me sounds like they have tougher laws on Rice harvester movements than the western word does on Immigrants.
Seriously though what was his reasoning for doing this?

f**k me sounds like they have tougher laws on Rice harvester movements than the western word does on Immigrants.
Seriously though what was his reasoning for doing this?

Because of all the scammed and unsold rice under the Luck of Ying which has put the Thai coffers in the shits and rice is down to 10.10 in some areas they felt that by doing this it would help lower the amount of harvested rice and hopefully not see the price of rice crash through the bottom of the shit can,

My friend owns3 harvesters (just bought a new one for 2.5 million) and the army tried to get heavy handed with him. He stood his ground and told them to go bother somebody else. Luckily it seemed to have worked.
Seriously thinking about buying one ourselves next year. Never imagined that the Army would want to get involved. WHF is their angle on this??

Seriously thinking about buying one ourselves next year. Never imagined that the Army would want to get involved. WHF is their angle on this??

Another angle. The army back in February this year cracked down on all dirt,fill being taken from any land that did not have a Chanote. This increased the cost of fill in my area from 200 aht to 350 baht for a 5 meter truck.

Another angle. The army back in February this year cracked down on all dirt,fill being taken from any land that did not have a Chanote. This increased the cost of fill in my area from 200 aht to 350 baht for a 5 meter truck.

It is a good thing I completed all my massive earth works years ago then.

They questioned his pricing and compared it to a crappy old Kobota that might regularly breakdown and be far far less efficient at cutting/collecting the rice..
Army said fuel gone down so prices must go down'
REPLY = when fuel went up, my prices didn't. Same price as last year.
Army said, we want everyone to charge the same.
REPLY= can you rent any car like that?

The result is, in his area every other machine is NOT working now due to maintenance issues while he is doing his usual 2000+ rai with state of the art equipment.

They questioned his pricing and compared it to a crappy old Kobota that might regularly breakdown and be far far less efficient at cutting/collecting the rice..
Army said fuel gone down so prices must go down'
REPLY = when fuel went up, my prices didn't. Same price as last year.
Army said, we want everyone to charge the same.
REPLY= can you rent any car like that?

The result is, in his area every other machine is NOT working now due to maintenance issues while he is doing his usual 2000+ rai with state of the art equipment.

My next door neighbor bought a second hand unit (600k) and has no problems. BUT my question is why spend 1.2 million(new) on a machine that only gets maybe 2 months of work.

My next door neighbor bought a second hand unit (600k) and has no problems. BUT my question is why spend 1.2 million(new) on a machine that only gets maybe 2 months of work.

I wonder how many people do a cost versus profit analysis before committing to such a large debt. Probably not many, just seems to be a good idea at the time.

Back