UK Pension Service - Life Certificate

The certifier does not have to be a British Citizen.

Which is sensible as many of the pension receivers who require such certification reside "overseas".

AFAIK, none of my peers who reside in the UK have been asked to provide said certification (at least for their private pensions).

Your countersignatory must either:

• work in (or be retired from) a recognised profession
  • be ‘a person of good standing in their community’

Examples of recognised professions include:

• accountant
  • airline pilot
  • articled clerk of a limited company
  • assurance agent of recognised company
  • bank/building society official
  • barrister
  • chairman/director of limited company
  • chiropodist
  • commissioner for oaths
  • councillor, eg local or county
  • civil servant (permanent)
  • dentist
  • director/manager/personnel officer of a VAT-registered company
  • engineer - with professional qualifications
  • financial services intermediary, eg a stockbroker or insurance broker
  • fire service official
  • funeral director
  • insurance agent (full time) of a recognised company
  • journalist
  • Justice of the Peace
  • legal secretary - fellow or associate member of the Institute of Legal Secretaries and PAs
  • licensee of public house
  • local government officer
  • manager/personnel officer of a limited company
  • member, associate or fellow of a professional body
  • Member of Parliament
  • Merchant Navy officer
  • minister of a recognised religion - including Christian Science
  • nurse - RGN or RMN
  • officer of the armed services
  • optician
  • paralegal - certified paralegal, qualified paralegal or associate member of the Institute of Paralegals
  • person with honours, eg an OBE or MBE
  • pharmacist
  • photographer - professional
  • police officer
  • Post Office official
  • president/secretary of a recognised organisation
  • Salvation Army officer
  • social worker
  • solicitor
  • surveyor
  • teacher, lecturer
  • trade union officer
  • travel agent - qualified
  • valuer or auctioneer - fellows and associate members of the incorporated society
  • Warrant Officers and Chief Petty Officers
Nick,
My proof of life letter from the Pension Service was accompanied by leaflet CF-N-701. Therein the list of suitable types of persons to be a witness is much shorter, only 7 bullet points long. Where does your list come from? Is it still current? If so, I would have found it easier to find a suitable witness. I would also be able to act as a witness for others as a retired teacher.

Nick,
My proof of life letter from the Pension Service was accompanied by leaflet CF-N-701. Therein the list of suitable types of persons to be a witness is much shorter, only 7 bullet points long. Where does your list come from? Is it still current? If so, I would have found it easier to find a suitable witness. I would also be able to act as a witness for others as a retired teacher.

The letter in front of me CF(N)698 has 7 bullet points.

(I would imagine you are spoiled for choice with 'profession' number 6! )

My only question regarding a Thai signature is what evidence is provided to back up their status - other than possession of a stamp.

When I countersign passport applications I am required to add my own passport number - that would seem a good idea here (although I imagine there is Chines wall between DWP and UKPA.

Nick,

The Pension Dept changed the rules to allow the same people that can countersign a passport application to sign a life certificate.
https://www.gov.uk/countersigning-passport-applications/accepted-occupations-for-countersignatories

The Pension Dept changed the rules to allow the same people that can countersign a passport application to sign a life certificate.

Is it still recognised that if your proposed passport photograph does not look dissimilar to your previous passport photograph, then countersignature is not necessary?

I guess they've amended the requirement to have a 35/45 size showing head and shoulders with your head no less than 29mm in the vertical.

An Outline of UK Passport and Visa Photo Requirements
UK-Passport-and-Visa-Photos.gif

• 35 mm x 45 mm.
  • A close-up of full head and shoulders.
  • The face size (the crown of head to chin) must be between 29mm and 34mm high.
  • In colour on plain white photographic paper.
  • Taken against a plain cream or light grey background.
  • Taken within the last month.
  • Clear and in focus.
  • Without any tears or creases.
  • Unmarked on both sides (unless a photo needs to be countersigned).
  • Unaltered by computer software
  • With a neutral expression and mouth closed.
  • without any shadows in the picture.
Visit: UK Government Website.

Is it still recognised that if your proposed passport photograph does not look dissimilar to your previous passport photograph, then countersignature is not necessary?

I guess they've amended the requirement to have a 35/45 size showing head and shoulders with your head no less than 29mm in the vertical.

Choose your words carefully, I don't want to be misquoted! :)

Renewal of a passport if your appearance has changed and you can't be recognised from your existing passport photo. If you are simply applying for a renewal of a child or adult passport there is no need for your photo to be countersigned, and you can continue to send your application without it.Jun 29, 2015

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...achment_data/file/303780/Photoguidance_v7.pdf

I can see his shoulders

"The human shoulder is made up of three bones: the clavicle (collarbone), the scapula (shoulder blade), and the humerus (upper arm bone) as well as associated muscles, ligaments and tendons".

This is only gaining my attention because I had a photograph refused in the past (2010) because "I was not standing close enough to the camera". Also I had to have it countersigned irrelevant of what the written government instructions said. It was sorted in the end but almost cost me a job because back then you had to send your passport away.

Oh shit! What a giveaway!

"The human shoulder is made up of three bones: the clavicle (collarbone), the scapula (shoulder blade), and the humerus (upper arm bone) as well as associated muscles, ligaments and tendons".

This is only gaining my attention because I had a photograph refused in the past (2010) because "I was not standing close enough to the camera". Also I had to have it countersigned irrelevant of what the written government instructions said. It was sorted in the end but almost cost me a job because back then you had to send your passport away.

Oh shit! What a giveaway!

You do seem to have a number of issues with the authorities Yorky.

... and quoting Wikipedia definitions is no defence. The photo met the requirements, full head and................... shoulders. Or did you expect to see the scapula in the photo ?
That link, Nick, is only about passports and doesn't mention pension life certificates, unless I am mistaken.

I have learned over the years to doubt Nick at my peril :smiley:

If you’re asked to fill in a ‘life certificate’
You may get a ‘life certificate’ form from the Department for Work and Pensions to check you’re still eligible for the State Pension.

You need to get the form signed by a witness. The instructions are on the form.

Your witness doesn’t have to live in the UK or have a passport from any specific country.

The people who can sign the form are the same as those who can ‘countersign’ a passport photo.

Your payments may be suspended if you don’t send the form back.

https://www.gov.uk/state-pension-if-you-retire-abroad/report-a-change-in-your-circumstances

That link, Nick, is only about passports and doesn't mention pension life certificates, unless I am mistaken.

You may get a ‘life certificate’ form from the Department for Work and Pensions to check you’re still eligible for the State Pension.

Your witness doesn’t have to live in the UK or have a passport from any specific country.

The people who can sign the form are the same as those who can ‘countersign’ a passport photo.

https://www.gov.uk/state-pension-if-you-retire-abroad/report-a-change-in-your-circumstances

Don't beat about the bush, DWP - the "life certificate" is to confirm that you are still ALIVE!

QED, Coco. I just find it a bit odd that the information leaflet accompanying my proof of life letter did not have a list of suitable witnesses consistent with the passport list.

QED, Coco. I just find it a bit odd that the information leaflet accompanying my proof of life letter did not have a list of suitable witnesses consistent with the passport list.

I agree with you entirely John. Even our widows receive a letter asking for proof they are still entitled to bereavement benefits for their children, and the same short list of witnesses is shown. Telling them does no good. They have no interest in those living overseas. We have had widows phone DWP direct to enquire about bereavement benefits and they have been told they are not eligible because they live in Thailand. Utter rubbish.

Back