Tam Tam now open /Pizza thread.

I think there is a big different between italian pizza and american pizza. American pizza has only the name pizza, in my eyes it has only a little bit to do with italian pizza.

For me american pizza like from pizza hut or pizza company is crap. Fast food at all!

TamTam´s pizza is really origin style, taste the best here in Surin, but could have a little bit more topping. The 4 slices salami are so thin, you can look through them...

Sicilian style pizza:

c700x420.jpg

Looks like a Pizza Cake...

I think there is a big different between italian pizza and american pizza. American pizza has only the name pizza, in my eyes it has only a little bit to do with italian pizza.

For me american pizza like from pizza hut or pizza company is crap. Fast food at all!

TamTam´s pizza is really origin style, taste the best here in Surin, but could have a little bit more topping. The 4 slices salami are so thin, you can look through them...

Thin wet cardboard. CRAP.

No understand you on one hand you say Tam Tam’s is the best in Surin and then you complain about the topping and how thin the slice of salami is .
To me Tam Tam’s pizza are not up with any pizza I have eaten , they just trying to save money on they pizza.
How can you say America pizza has only the name pizza?.
A pizza is a pizza is it not ?.
Like I say pizza company to me is the best in surin , but that is me we all have a Choices.
Like a thai would say up to me or up to you .
You don’t have to be Italian to make a great pizza do you .

...and the best: 3 years guaranty! I have the same, but only 43".

About TamTam: good pizza, but restaurant mostly empty. How does he earn money?

Most of the restaurants here have their slow and busy hours. If you come during the slow hours you'll think the place is dead and can't possibly survive. But that is a false assumption.

Same goes for certain weeks and months. After any major holiday or holy day/weekend whatever here it slows down dramatically. Like Song Kran, the Elephant week, New Year's, certain other holidays - it gets very slow, as the Thais have saved (one reason it slows down before most holidays as well) their cash to spend on the holiday period. And have little cash to spend after the holiday period. If your business acumen does not take these slow times into consideration you can find you have little cash to pay your bills and staff. My suggestion is to be aware of this and set some aside for these slow periods. If you noticed it was very slow just about everywhere the first few days after the Elephant Festival. It also slows down the week before the monthly pay is paid out, and you'll have many more customers the first week after pay day here. It is very cyclical here. It pays to take that into consideration and deal with it accordingly.

Newbies first starting a business here should take heed. I'm not just spouting off here. Comes from years of experience.

Other things I would advise is to make your business more Thai friendly with good Thai food available. Thais also like to eat with family, kids and grannies. They will NOT patronize a place filled with F-bomb spouting loud obnoxious lager louts. For 'bar rooms' that is fine, to a point at least, but not for a restaurant, especially a restaurant where you want Thais as well as farangs coming in to eat (they do/can make up the majority of your customer base). Thais can make up 80% of your trade if they are made to feel comfortable. Many places here need to decide if they are a bar for farangs, or a restaurant. It is very unusual to have both in the same venue. Just some thoughts on this.

YMMV.

Most of the restaurants here have their slow and busy hours. If you come during the slow hours you'll think the place is dead and can't possibly survive. But that is a false assumption.....

Just a P.S. to this post. There are many Thais, Thais with money (doctors, nurses, lawyers, business owners, etc) who have spent time in the west going to university, or just on business trips or vacations, that have eaten and enjoyed western foods while overseas. We sell a lot of our western dishes to Thais who enjoy some western food for a change, or just because they do like it. If they feel comfortable they will come in and eat.

Norby had some that used to come to his place every couple of weeks for his German/European food and wines and beers. We have quite a few as well. Many of our Thai customers order both Thai and farang dishes to share around.

I agree with you Cent. One of the upmarket eateries near to me has stopped selling the Thai beers and 95% makes food for the up-market Thai customers. The farangs generally don’t go there now BUT business is booming. Their customers don’t think about spending 1,000’s of Baht on both food & foreign beers without having Farangs around moaning about an extra 5b for Leo/Chang etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most of the restaurants here have their slow and busy hours. If you come during the slow hours you'll think the place is dead and can't possibly survive. But that is a false assumption.

Same goes for certain weeks and months. After any major holiday or holy day/weekend whatever here it slows down dramatically. Like Song Kran, the Elephant week, New Year's, certain other holidays - it gets very slow, as the Thais have saved (one reason it slows down before most holidays as well) their cash to spend on the holiday period. And have little cash to spend after the holiday period. If your business acumen does not take these slow times into consideration you can find you have little cash to pay your bills and staff. My suggestion is to be aware of this and set some aside for these slow periods. If you noticed it was very slow just about everywhere the first few days after the Elephant Festival. It also slows down the week before the monthly pay is paid out, and you'll have many more customers the first week after pay day here. It is very cyclical here. It pays to take that into consideration and deal with it accordingly.

Newbies first starting a business here should take heed. I'm not just spouting off here. Comes from years of experience.

Other things I would advise is to make your business more Thai friendly with good Thai food available. Thais also like to eat with family, kids and grannies. They will NOT patronize a place filled with F-bomb spouting loud obnoxious lager louts. For 'bar rooms' that is fine, to a point at least, but not for a restaurant, especially a restaurant where you want Thais as well as farangs coming in to eat (they do/can make up the majority of your customer base). Thais can make up 80% of your trade if they are made to feel comfortable. Many places here need to decide if they are a bar for farangs, or a restaurant. It is very unusual to have both in the same venue. Just some thoughts on this.

YMMV.
Words of wisdom.

Best place on Soi Kola/Speed to hang out and just drink and chat is 'The Watering Hole', Aussie Lee's place. He doesn't serve food, he's a great guy himself, he has the football and rugby on a big screen TV facing toward the out front tables, his prices are reasonable, he has a pool table, good music videos on the bar TV and speakers out front, and if anyone starts shit he's a big guy and doesn't put up with any shit and will ask you to leave, and toss you if you don't. When Cheffie's and the new Norby's place start serving food and making pizzas and such you can easily get some grub if you're hungry right next door. It is the best expat hang out these days in that area if you just want a beer or drink. Get's my thumbs up as a 'watering hole'. It is what it is, a no bullshit or troubles 'bar'.

Last edited:
Best place on Soi Kola/Speed to hang out and just drink and chat is 'The Watering Hole', Aussie Lee's place. He doesn't serve food, he's a great guy himself, he has the football and rugby on a big screen TV facing toward the out front tables, his prices are reasonable, he has a pool table, good music videos on the bar TV and speakers out front, and if anyone starts shit he's a big guy and doesn't put up with any shit and will ask you to leave, and toss you if you don't. When Cheffie's and the new Norby's place start serving food and making pizzas and such you can easily get some grub if you're hungry right next door. It is the best expat hang out these days if you just want a beer or drink. Get's my thumbs up as a 'watering hole'. It is what it is, a no bullshit or troubles 'bar'.

Yes,yes very true

When Cheffie's and the new Norby's place start serving food and making pizzas and such you can easily get some grub if you're hungry right next door.

Do you know what the "theme" of the new Norby's place is likely to be?

Do you know what the "theme" of the new Norby's place is likely to be?

No idea, Yorky. From what I hear he is a nice clean cut polite and friendly Norwegian guy. I've not met him myself I believe. He has told others I know he will be serving food. He also plans on taking out all the shrubbery and trees and such from out front, which I think is a good idea myself. We will see. Same for the FC. I have no clue as to what will be going in there. If I hear anything from reliable sources I'll post it here. I think it is great there will be some new blood and hopefully some different foods and dishes to try, and maybe even a couple new places to play some music and have a bit of sanuk. :)

Hopefully some of these places will get in some Carlsberg and beer Lao and other varied beers to drink. Personally I now refuse to drink the Thai beers, any of them. I told Cheffie if he got in Lao and Carlsberg he'd get my custom more often for sure.

30 Pub down the street (before the turn into the Tawan Dang soi) has some decent imported beers, and decent Thai foods/side dishes to munch, and damn cute waitresses as well I'd like to munch. LOL I like the upstairs area myself.

I disagree somewhat. The chain pizza places (Pizza Hut, Dominoes, Papa John's, Little Caesar's, Sbarro's, etc) are all the same basically, making and selling what the general American public seem to like (I personally like Sbarro's out of these if I can't get a better choice). Many now have added 'thin' pizza to their menus. But in the larger, more cosmopolitan cities there are plenty of Italians making Italian pizza in their home Italian style. Many of the old Italian owned and operated pizzerias, in the Boston area at least, especially the suburbs, I have seen the past 20 years or more, have been bought out by Greek immigrants, whose pizzas are more in the American style.

In Kuala Lumpur (and probably elsewhere) Modestos had a chain of Italian style bar/restaurants which served what I considered to be decent thin crust pizzas. Unfortunately being Muslim, the bacon was either beef or turkey and the pepperoni was beef. Some had the wood-fired stone ovens which were "on show". They were located in the "up-market" areas so they were not cheap. I never heard anyone with an Italian accent on the staff.

There's a strong entomological connection between the Italian name "pizza" and the Greek "pitta" - both being thin, flat breads. Both have been in existence for centuries. I've always associated pizza with the thin, crispy bases cooked in a traditional oven, with a tomato covering, and to which can added a variety of meats, fish, vegetables, and - always - cheese. As is so often the case, other nations grab a good product and change it to suit their own agendas. As anyone who has eaten a pizza made by a Naples (that's the Italian one) chef will vouch, the base is very thin, and the toppings are lightly applied. Every pizza that I've eaten in either Italy or in the South of France (remember, Nice was once Italian!) has been to the same proportion. An old Sicilian friend once told me that on his island, they often have thicker bases and more toppings, but admits they are more like focaccia with toppings than the Neapolitan "original." I have no evidence to back-up a thought that as so many Sicilians emigrated to America in the 19th and 20th centuries, the Sicilian style married well with American appetites to evolve into the "deep pan" variety promoted by the chain outlets.

Italians too enjoy more toppings at times, but for those occasions, the half-moon shaped calzone and the tubular stromboli might be ordered instead - the bases would generally be the same thin dough filled much more generously with tomato, cheese, and meat etc.

Elsewhere in Italy, specifically around Turin, you can find a deep pan variety they call pizza al padellino - and this too could easily have emigrated to the States. Back in Naples though, there is a famous deep-fried pizza which some claim has more flavour than the baked type, and in the south they like panzerotti - another deep-fried variety looking rather like a smaller calzone.

Pizza and other so-called fast-food that is "known" to be the catalyst for obesity in many places seems not to carry the same stigma in Italy, where the typically Mediterranean ingredients eaten in moderation provide a healthy diet, not something usually claimed by the thick-base, heavy-topping purveyors - or by their fans' cardiographers!

I don't think that if I took a well-risen cottage loaf dough and covered it in tomato, cheese, along with ham and olives before shoving it in an oven that I'd call it a pizza though. Because of that,
I'll stick with places like Tam Tam for the traditional article.

Another gem of an Italian restaurant that serves amazing pizzas from a wood fired oven is Café di Maria, 3/2 Sukhumvit 79, Bangkok. Don't miss it if you're anywhere nearby! https://www.facebook.com/Cafe-Di-Maria-211434625662295/

Back