Why is the Buddha's Birthday celebrated...

Coffee

You chose a custom title
...in other countries...20180513_174424.jpg
...but not in Thailand ?
Today is the day. Happy Birthday Gautama Buddha. :innocent:

Not exactly correct old boy.

This significant holiday next week is Visakha Puja Day which celebrates Buddha's birth, enlightenment and death all on the same day.

Not exactly correct old boy.

This significant holiday next week is Visakha Puja Day which celebrates Buddha's birth, enlightenment and death all on the same day.

Jasus, over ½ billion people in about 20 different countries. You cannot expect any of them to agree on something that happened over 2,500 years ago!

Jasus, over ½ billion people in about 20 different countries. You cannot expect any of them to agree on something that happened over 2,500 years ago!

Did ANYTHING happen 2,500 years ago, or is it all a smokescreen dreamt up by the hierarchy to extract money from those that will believe anything?

Do we even care?

@nomad
Is your darling wife Buddhist ?
Are your two lovely daughters Buddhist ?
Go ahead and ask them.

Dollars to donuts when your time eventually comes you'll be going up the chimney in Buddhist ceremony whether you care or not. :rolleyes:

European folk are slowly beginning to realise this with church attendances falling dramatically. I doubt I will see the Thai people giving up their tambooning in my lifetime, but it will surely happen in time,. When you see the politicians at a Buddhist ceremony on the TV, I am convinced they have no interest in the religious events despite their clasped hands. Its all for show, like everything here in Thailand! The monks keep the Thai people under control, and that is how the government like it.

How people anywhere in the world, can be so gullible to believe everything they are told, without one iota of proof or evidence, and without even questioning it, never ceases to amaze me.

@nomad
Is your darling wife Buddhist ?
Are your two lovely daughters Buddhist ?
Go ahead and ask them.

Dollars to donuts when your time eventually comes you'll be going up the chimney in Buddhist ceremony whether you care or not. :rolleyes:
Indeed I will. That said, it will not make any difference to me - I will be dead. I will not care at all.

Hopefully many of these so called followers of a make believe god will be incarcerated here in Australia now, after yesterday's judgement.

Yes Surin, regarding another thread with news of former Archbishop Phillip Wilson to be sentenced after being found guilty of covering up sexual abuse by a priest in Australia during 1970's timeframe.

From your "many of these so called followers of a make believe god will be incarcerated" I was initially wondering if a certain belief system was being outlawed down under. (Akin to China with Falun Gong.) :mask:

Yes Surin, regarding another thread with news of former Archbishop Phillip Wilson to be sentenced after being found guilty of covering up sexual abuse by a priest in Australia during 1970's timeframe.

From your "many of these so called followers of a make believe god will be incarcerated" I was initially wondering if a certain belief system was being outlawed down under. (Akin to China with Falun Gong.) :mask:

And Christianity too ................http://www.dw.com/en/in-xi-we-trust-is-china-cracking-down-on-christianity/a-42224752

Back