Huge "Khmer-Buddhist" holiday 24 Sept

Do they participate because everyone else does; because they think it is expected of them, or because they really believe it is good for them?

Why don't you ask them some time ?

(It's not exactly a difficult question.)

Possibly today they're just paying respect to their deceased elders. ;)

Why don't you ask them some time ?

(It's not exactly a difficult question.)

Possibly today they're just paying respect to their deceased elders. ;)

I would not wish to interfere in their beliefs. I was merely expressing my surprise at what I saw.
As for 700 monks descending on 1 village and expecting to be fed, words fail me.

One can pay respect to ones deceased family members in the comfort of ones home, without having to go public with it. And what part do 700 monks play? They never knew the deceased!

@Nick:
I don't think the 700 monk invasion has to do with the "Feeding the Ghosts" holiday, as I think that's coming up next month. As mentioned, today is a full moon day, hence a "Big Buddha Day", and all the locals have dressed up for the temple visit to feed the monks. It is indeed a 'Special Day', but I know not exactly why.

I'll continue trying to learn more but sometimes getting answers from the lovely wife is not easy, as you might have experienced as well.

An interesting turn of the conversation. I was brought up as a Christian, first as a proddy dog and later as a catholic. Retired from both leanings a long, long time ago and now very much a devout atheist. My wife was brought up as a Buddhist as are my two daughters. Yes, they go to the temple one in a while and also light candles and incense around the garden from time to time too. They do like to visit special temples and make offerings to the monks once or twice a year. The local monk goes past the garden gate every morning and I am usually the only one there to greet him. He always has a big smile and a hand shake for me. Can't say that either my wife or daughters have ever felt the need to make offerings to the monk. The three of them seem to be quite open minded about Buddhism and its all pretty much low key from what I have observed. Suits me just fine.

I don't remember seeing my wife ever giving monks food at the gate but she does wander up to the wat (on the bicycle) about once a month with flowers, rice and some cheap cooked sausage or fish. She spends about 2 hours there so I guess the majority of time is spent gabbing.

My wife gives them food every day that they come. There is a bell that goes off about 6:00 am to let people know the monks are on the prowl, and usually 2 or 3 of them are at our gate shortly after 6:30. They don't get a lot from us but they have many regulars that give to them, so their bags are aplenty.

This makes my wife happy so it isn't a problem for me, as I also get fed well every day. She is not a regular visitor to the Wat, but our village does some Merit collections announced over the speaker and there are also quite a lot of marriages and funerals as well. Que' sera'

When the monks walk past my drum they have a guy on a motorbike in tow to assist in carrying all the booty.

When the monks walk past my drum they have a guy on a motorbike in tow to assist in carrying all the booty.
My oh my, you live in the posh part of the village if your monk has a guy on a motorbike following him. Over here, across the paddy fields and down the muddy lane, our monk only has a guy on an old bicycle in tow. LOL.

If today is a big Buddha day, as Mario suggests above, it has been lost on folk in my village. Every phase of the moon is a "Buddha Day", -approximately 4 times a month. However nothing much happened here in my village - just another ordinary day. Most folk light an incense stick and place it in front of their spirit house, but of course that is separate from Buddha. Only when the weekly Buddha day clashes with some other special Buddhist event, do the villagers go out en-masse with their offerings to the Wat.

We have 3 old ladies who do feed the Monks every morning, 2 of whom have nothing, yet still find money to buy them food.. They are usually accompanied by 2 little ruffians on pushbikes! My wife never feeds them at the gate.

Approx once a month, a pick-up drives slowly through the village, with an elderly monk precariously sitting on the back ledge. Speakers blare and an assortment of ill dressed women and rough looking men with cigarettes drooping from their mouths walk up ahead. Rarely does anyone give them anything and to be honest I am not surprised. Not sure they are legit but nobody asks!

Apparently yesterday was a success for feeding the 700+ monks and doing Merit, with many strangers passing through our village. The lovely wife says that many came from the Buriram area as well as other places and travel to do this kind of Merit as a fairly regular thing. All were dressed in their Sunday (Monday) best.
IMG_2575.JPG IMG_2577.JPG

As your pictures suggest, Mario, it is predominantly the older women, who no doubt have much time on their hands and nothing else to do. Many others would not have time as they have daily card playing schools!

This festival various thought-out this part of Thailand.. Yes even in my section of KC there was a do at the wife Wat and our soi was like a Big C parking lot on a Saturday. Saying that as I have said my wife and her family do not partake in this first go around they will have a family gathering on October 15 and ALL deceased family members including my family will be called out to join us for a dinner.

Back