.................................454gm.....220baht
Arriving next week
Large tubs (circa 600gm)
CELEBRATIONS
HEROES
ROSES
QUALITY STREET
ALL 425baht (cheaper than 2018)

Good that the tubs are cheaper than 2018 Nookie, but didn't we read somewhere quite recently that the tub size (and net weight) has been reduced since then as well?

Edit: It was in the Guardian last month: https://www.theguardian.com/busines...tmas-shrinkflation-trims-quality-street-again

The manufacturers missed a simple trick here. Customers are initially attracted to the gross weight. They could have kept the gross weight the same but reduced the net weight by using heavier wrappers.

Does that make sense?

The manufacturers missed a simple trick here. Customers are initially attracted to the gross weight. They could have kept the gross weight the same but reduced the net weight by using heavier wrappers.

Does that make sense?

Or they could label Thai style, i.e. be economical with the truth?

brooktoms s.jpg

The label on the can has recently been changed. Whether it is now correct, I do no know.

I recently bought a large tin of Brook Tomatoes in error. I much prefer the SIS ones.No Gross weight mentioned here

Yes, they've now changed the label to "Net Weight" and "Drained Weight". What they drain off to get the latter is anyone's guess.

Does that make sense?

No.

Why would anyone be attracted to gross weight?

I never look anything but the net weight.

They should go further with ‘net’ labelling - like frozen fish....... should say “200g, defrosts/cooks down to 100g”.

If paying per kilo (not with the tomatoes) is misleading if half the weight is packaging or water.

No.

Why would anyone be attracted to gross weight?

I never look anything but the net weight.

They should go further with ‘net’ labelling - like frozen fish....... should say “200g, defrosts/cooks down to 100g”.

If paying per kilo (not with the tomatoes) is misleading if half the weight is packaging or water.

Continuing the net weight discussion...

I bought some frozen halibut, stated weight 267 grams for 80 Baht.

Weighed again when defrosted......... 195 grams

Weighed again after cooking....... 133 grams.

So my halibut that cost 300 Baht a kilo to buy, actually cost 600 Baht a kilo to eat

Continuing the net weight discussion...

I bought some frozen halibut, stated weight 267 grams for 80 Baht.

Weighed again when defrosted......... 195 grams

Weighed again after cooking....... 133 grams.

So my halibut that cost 300 Baht a kilo to buy, actually cost 600 Baht a kilo to eat
I'm trying as hard as I can to wipe the smile off my face. You're new here, huh?

Back