TREES

Exactly 1 week ago, this tree in my garden (no idea what it is) appeared dead. All the leaves had gone.

The following morning there were buds on the tips of the branches.

Now, today it is covered with leaves. Quite amazing what has happened in just 7 daysView attachment 32104
Strange indeed Nick. I have two pom pom Ficus Benjamina's in my garden. Last year one of them shed all it's leaves, and appeared dead for quite some time. I had instructed Mil to cut it down, luckily she did not, and it returned to full leaf shortly after. It had never done this before or since, it's twin has never done it. I am curious as to why it did this, has anyone any idea's?

Most tropical trees can sense dry conditions, dry as it thinks, as biological organisms work that is, that it is going to die. There is two mechanisms to cope with its death.
First put out seed so it can live again or go into survival mode. The second is what your tree did @Prakhonchai Nick. The tree sensed dry soil and dry air and went into hibernation.
Green leaves contain chlorophyll which is responsible for producing the tree's energy. The trees draw that energy back into the plant and the leaves lose their light green chlorophyll, the leaves drop off.
When the tree has enough energy and moisture it will put out new leaves. This could be almost straight away in the tropics.

Back