Rain?

Time to build an underground cistern. :) An Aussie I know actually built a whole, quite large, addition to his house, a large room waterproofed that he directed all his rainwater into. Not only did it help him through the year for water for the house and grounds, but he said it keeps that side of the house (the kitchen I think it is) cool all year round as well.

Like all aspects of my build I researched rainwater harvesting carefully before starting.

DOS does make tanks designed to go underground but as they have to designed to take the weight of the soil they are very expensive and only seem to be used on commercial builds where either space or aesthetics are the priority. I have 3 rai of land so space is not an issue and I don't care about aesthetics. The hole has to be excavated and the tanks needs to sit on a concrete pad. They also require a crane to be lowered into place which all adds to the cost.
Underground Tanks.jpg
As for building a concrete underground tank like a swimming pool with a lid, again much more expensive than over ground tanks and also more prone to cracks and leaks which are expensive to fix.

My tanks cost ฿6,500 each and due to their squat design are very stable. It would not be too difficult or expensive to add more tanks if needed.

Tanks.jpg

Another reason I went for over ground tanks was the flexibility of the setup. I currently have 4 rainwater tanks reserved for drinking water, 2 for well water and the rest for rainwater for household use, but changing this setup is just a matter of turning a valve.

20190628_100244389_ios.jpg

Time to build an underground cistern. :) An Aussie I know actually built a whole, quite large, addition to his house, a large room waterproofed that he directed all his rainwater into. Not only did it help him through the year for water for the house and grounds, but he said it keeps that side of the house (the kitchen I think it is) cool all year round as well.
Many years ago, when on Kho Chang with Welsh Tony, we went to inspect a hiso Swedish designed seafront resort and the house had an underground cistern. Great idea, especially for an island!

Like all aspects of my build I researched rainwater harvesting carefully before starting.

DOS does make tanks designed to go underground but as they have to designed to take the weight of the soil they are very expensive and only seem to be used on commercial builds where either space or aesthetics are the priority. I have 3 rai of land so space is not an issue and I don't care about aesthetics. The hole has to be excavated and the tanks needs to sit on a concrete pad. They also require a crane to be lowered into place which all adds to the cost.
View attachment 40088
As for building a concrete underground tank like a swimming pool with a lid, again much more expensive than over ground tanks and also more prone to cracks and leaks which are expensive to fix.

My tanks cost ฿6,500 each and due to their squat design are very stable. It would not be too difficult or expensive to add more tanks if needed.

View attachment 40089

Another reason I went for over ground tanks was the flexibility of the setup. I currently have 4 rainwater tanks reserved for drinking water, 2 for well water and the rest for rainwater for household use, but changing this setup is just a matter of turning a valve.

View attachment 40090

No worries @Bandersnatch as your perimeter is well protected against an offensive attack...same as Bagram Air Base (BAF).

Actually the cistern idea was simply a cover story for a deviant *******'s dungeon (per Dr. H. Lector) but we won't go into any further details. ;-)

Given that the cheaper laptops these days are obsolescent within 2 years I don't suppose it really matters.

The demands I make of my laptop, now and in the future, are most unlikely to make their tech capacity obsolete in 5 years let alone 2.
I know that someone might have said the same thing about computers after acquiring a VIC-20 in 1980.

I also know that Lancia Beta owners in the UK said the same thing in 1974...

The demands I make of my laptop, now and in the future, are most unlikely to make their tech capacity obsolete in 5 years let alone 2.
I know that someone might have said the same thing about computers after acquiring a VIC-20 in 1980.

I had a Dragon 32 around mid/late 80s (I think). Manufactured in Wales!

I also know that Lancia Beta owners in the UK said the same thing in 1974...

My 2 IC in 1975 had a Lancia Beta. Ran into a (big) tree with it. Took 8 months to fix!

GL was reporting rain and we had a perfect evening, photo taken 1 hour before sunset. Looking in the general direction of south, towards Kap Cheong (ish).

1620560741017.png

Last edited:
My wife is in Mr D.I.Y. ar present sending pictures of a plethora of rechargeable LED torches/night lights. The one above doesn't appear to be in stock at present.

She's bought one and should be back with it (and some char siu noodles) shortly.

She's bought one and should be back with it (and some char siu noodles) shortly.

This is what she bought:

LED torch-light 0 s.jpg

LED torch-light 1 s.jpg

LED rechargeable (mains) with a torch.

LED torch-light 2 s.jpg

And two night light settings.

light 1-2.jpg

฿159.00.

Last edited:
This is what she bought:

And as an aside and for interest, our neighbour opposite was taken to hospital yesterday evening with first degree burns on his legs. He had found termites in his "Buddha room" which was only lit by candles and decided to spray them with insect repellent!

He was wearing shorts and walking very, very carefully upon his return. We haven't yet seen him today.

And as an aside and for interest, our neighbour opposite was taken to hospital yesterday evening with first degree burns on his legs. He had found termites in his "Buddha room" which was only lit by candles and decided to spray them with insect repellent!

He was wearing shorts and walking very, very carefully upon his return. We haven't yet seen him today.
Someone wasn't thinking very clearly. I thought everyone knew aerosols were flammable. Did the termites go up with a whoosh?

P.S. All aerosols are clearly marked with a safety label and a verbal warning.

1620730931074.png

Last edited:
Someone wasn't thinking very clearly. I thought everyone knew aerosols were flammable. Did the termites go up with a whoosh?

P.S. All aerosols are clearly marked with a safety label and a verbal warning.

"Verbal"?

My neighbour is Thai anyways.

My neighbour feeds the monks every morning and is subsequently blessed by them, prays regularly at his massive spirit house, doesn't smoke nor drink, doesn't eat beef and overall conducts his whole existence in accordance with the Buddhist faith.

Back