Fire Extinguishers

Yorky

Fullritis Member
Since installing heavy steel bars externally to our windows since a break in some years ago, I have considered having a couple of fire extinguishers located at suitable positions in the house. I never got around to it and a couple of evenings ago, I watched a Rebus episode where a woman and two toddlers died in a house fire. It brought the extinguishers back to mind.

I know very little about extinguishers except how to work them and which extinguisher for which "type" of fire (as taught in company safety lectures over 20 years ago).

I've looked on the Lazada website (because it's easy) and found a 2 lb dry chemical model for just less that Bht 500.00 each (I'm sure local outlets have similar models at similar prices).

Is anyone on here sufficiently knowledgeable to recommend a type of extinguisher which would be suitable for my single story house?
houseplan.jpg

Industrial Fire Risk Management used to be my job, until 31 years ago, , wherein I would amongst other things recommend fire extinguishers, hose reels and sprinkler systems. A Dry Powder extinguisher is probably better than a water extinguisher in a house, as any likely fire would involve cooking with oil or faulty electrics. Note that fire extinguishers, like most things in the home need periodic maintenance. Also note that in the event of a fire, you squeeze the handle, or remove the pin or whatever. Do NOT do, as many have done, just throw the whole extinguisher on the fire. :smiley: If you smoke, and especially in bed, then a water extinguisher may be advisable,

You could go the full hog, Yorky, and install a sprinkler system.. Some hotels have them with sprinklers installed in guest rooms. On many occasions, guests, as guests sometimes do, walk off with hotel property, a sprinkler head has been unscrewed from the ceiling pipe, causing havoc.

I think a sprinkler system would be a little over the top for my house. I do not smoke anymore either in bed or anywhere else so I believe the dry powder extinguisher would suit my needs (or at least quell my concern). In the main bedroom just inside the door and in the lounge adjacent to the kitchen door (always kept closed at night) I think would be suitable positions for them.

Smoke alarms and a well rehearsed evacuation plan is first. The modern thought on fire in the home is to first think of evacuation then if only safe then fighting the fire as many have thought it is only a small fire then to be overcome by toxic fumes and die. The most recommended extinguisher for home use is a one kilogram dry powder extinguisher. If the fire cannot be extinguished using a 1kg extinguisher it is too large and you should evacuate.

Yorky all the info given is correct, my job is to train fire fighting (amongst other things on ships) and a dry powder extinguisher is the best to have as it can be used on any type of fire. Where as Water is no good for an oil fire or one where electricity is present. However as Rice says ONLY fight the fire if it is small and you know what to do, otherwise get the hell out as it is indeed the smoke and gases that will likely kill long before flames do.

Yorky all the info given is correct, my job is to train fire fighting (amongst other things on ships) and a dry powder extinguisher is the best to have as it can be used on any type of fire. Where as Water is no good for an oil fire or one where electricity is present. However as Rice says ONLY fight the fire if it is small and you know what to do, otherwise get the hell out as it is indeed the smoke and gases that will likely kill long before flames do.
Definitely dry chem or if you are not in a confined space, Co2.

My whole idea of having the fire extinguishers is not to put out the fire necessarily but to "beat a path" to one of the exits to get out.

I never got around to buying any. However, an occurrence at my neighbour's house recently encouraged me to rethink.

I never got around to buying any. However, an occurrence at my neighbour's house recently encouraged me to rethink.

As previously said, make sure you have an exit and only tackle the fire -if small - if safe to do so.. Let the house burn, but check you have insurance!

I don't need to check. I don't have any.
Despite having an insurance company background I have always said that the only insurance people need is health, motor and home. Forget the extinguisher Yorky. Take out a policy. Only cost about 2,500baht!

Despite having an insurance company background I have always said that the only insurance people need is health, motor and home. Forget the extinguisher Yorky. Take out a policy. Only cost about 2,500baht!

I was quoted ฿6,000.00 p.a. 10 years ago, house and contents, ฿1,500,000.00 cover for each.

Thanks for the reminder @Prakhonchai Nick. We have been covered by the insurance policy provided by the bank to cover the mortgage loan. However, the mortgage will be repaid in three months time. Need to start thinking about follow-on cover.

I was quoted ฿6,000.00 p.a. 10 years ago, house and contents, ฿1,500,000.00 cover for each.
Excessive. Those figures should produce a premium of around 3,500baht or about 9.000baht if you pay upfront for 3 years.. Building values go up, but contents go down due to age. Need to insure for realistic replacement values like for like.

Back