'Beach bar' opening by Frenchman

Thank you for the kind words, Trigger. We have ordered more high chairs and will put a table at bar height in the back of the Beach.
We might do a buffet style Sunday Roast with salads, roast potatoes and nice marinated pork shoulder barbecue, all together with a glass of wine, priced around 300 baths.
What do you guys think?
Cheers and thank you for your continued support, we are doing a great first week

Fans,

My own thinking on this, my own opinion, would be to not include the wine with the roast dinner's price. Why? First of all it lowers the price of the meal, which might be more attractive for the hungry customer wanting to eat (Say 220 baht vs 300 baht). Also, many would possibly rather a beer with their meal instead of the wine, the beer being less expensive than wine and preferred by the customer. And, some do not drink and would rather a cola or other beverage (water for example). Keep it simple, and there's no need to have numerous pricing tiers to satisfy all, which is better/easier for you and the staff. Plus it keeps your meal pricing more attractive.

Just my professional and personal thoughts/opinion on the matter.

Mike

P.S. Congrats on your opening and best of luck in your new venture. I was away for your opening but will stop by in the next couple of weeks.

Last edited:
Sound advice Mike.

Another example of this being a personal business decision. I would go with Cent's idea but if I really wanted to link the wine with the meal I would take the price down to, say, 275 Baht and offer 20/25% discount on any wine ordered with the mine. That will confuse the staff! :smile:.

I think there is one VERY important point here; I do not think that The Beach (with the standard it is projecting) should try to compete on price. Attracting customers by way of price inducements conflicts with the image.

Fair pricing that gives the owner a reasonable return is the way to go, Perhaps consider,say, a loyalty scheme for marketing effect and to reward regular customers.

Last edited:
Sound advice Mike.

Another example of this being a personal business decision. I would go with Cent's idea but if I really wanted to link the wine with the meal I would take the price down to, say, 275 Baht and offer 20/25% discount on any wine ordered with the mine. That will confuse the staff! :smile:.

I think there is one VERY important point here; I do not think that The Beach (with the standard it is projecting) should try to compete on price. Attracting customers by way of price inducements conflicts with the image.

Fair pricing that gives the owner a reasonable return is the way to go, Perhaps consider,say, a loyalty scheme for marketing effect and to reward regular customers.

Coco,

Nah. Keep it simple. T.I.C.

Too much hassle to keep track of the consumption of further 'discounted' wines or liquors with the meal. And when does the deal finish on the wine with your meal discount? After your plate is taken away? Can you order 3 or 4 wines while you eat the meal and get the discounted price, all the while consuming them after you are done eating? Or can you only have 1 discounted wine with the meal and pay full price for additional drinks?

I have seen discounted drinks for those that buy a meal of a certain price in some places (buy a meal for 300 baht or more and get ...), but think it is too cumbersome for the staff to keep track of, and for the later check bin. You want to avoid any complications or discrepancies on/for the bin later, and arguments/disagreements over what the bin should show. The simpler the better I feel for all concerned.

I stand by the 'keep it simple' advice. Chokdee5

JMHO.

Mike

'keep it simple'

"Keep it simple" is always sound advice...particularly in Surin. Think1
Well done, Cent.

If one is looking for discounts and customer benefit coupons just walk 50 meters further down Soi Cola and take two or three of the high-heeled ladies boobs2 .
Ask the club manager for the 'daily special'.
"Would you like ice with your drink ?"

Coco,

Nah. Keep it simple. T.I.C.

Too much hassle to keep track of the consumption of further 'discounted' wines or liquors with the meal. And when does the deal finish on the wine with your meal discount? After your plate is taken away? Can you order 3 or 4 wines while you eat the meal and get the discounted price, all the while consuming them after you are done eating? Or can you only have 1 discounted wine with the meal and pay full price for additional drinks?

I have seen discounted drinks for those that buy a meal of a certain price in some places (buy a meal for 300 baht or more and get ...), but think it is too cumbersome for the staff to keep track of, and for the later check bin. You want to avoid any complications or discrepancies on/for the bin later, and arguments/disagreements over what the bin should show. The simpler the better I feel for all concerned.

I stand by the 'keep it simple' advice. Chokdee5

JMHO.

Mike

Keep it Simple I agree

A price for food...a price for drinks...combine whatever you want.

A happy hour is a possibility and not difficult to manage. Whether it is across the whole range of drinks or just beer and perhaps Thai spirits is something to be considered.

Keep it Simple I agree

A price for food...a price for drinks...combine whatever you want.

A happy hour is a possibility and not difficult to manage. Whether it is across the whole range of drinks or just beer and perhaps Thai spirits is something to be considered.

I agree with but marketing does work with offers - as you well know with Cherries this week. Not everyone in that restaurant had the lobster but many were attracted by the Monday offer.

I would ask what an owner wants to achieve with a happy hour. The answer to that question will determine whether it is appropriate. I would suggest that ifthe Beach is opening at 4pm (rather than 6pm) because of DEMAND then the last thing you need is a happy hour.

I have done it in the UK and I guarantee someone will do it here - that is ordering 3 beers just before the end of happy hour, getting 6 and then sitting there for the next 2 hours. Gives the staff a breather for a while but the profit margin is negligible during that time. IF you belief in the concept of people attract people then there is nothing lost others may gravitate to somewhere that has some life. Also OK if you have enough table and chairs.

note..... I am not a happy hour fan.

I would ask what an owner wants to achieve with a happy hour.

Back in '84 in Carlisle in Cumbria, the landlord of our local decided to instigate a "happy hour" - 10 bob off a pint from 5 till 7 pm. He kicked it in the head after two weeks. When asked why, he said "all I get is the same wankers in here at a reduced profit"

Back in '84 in Carlisle in Cumbria, the landlord of our local decided to instigate a "happy hour" - 10 bob off a pint from 5 till 7 pm. He kicked it in the head after two weeks. When asked why, he said "all I get is the same wankers in here at a reduced profit"

In a nutshell Yorky :smile:Chokdee5

Happy hour

i dont really see what some peoples
problem is with happy hour ? its a bit of fun that rewards early or regular customers, i think drinking habits have changed a bit since the 80s its all ways easy to criticise i like to take the positive approach to new things forward is the way looking back is never good

problem is with happy hour ? its a bit of fun that rewards early or regular customers, i think drinking habits have changed a bit since the 80s its all ways easy to criticise i like to take the positive approach to new things forward is the way looking back is never good

Truth is Triggs there are a lot of tight fisted X pats in Surin moaning about beer prices and how much there mrs spends and so on
IMO this is a French restaurant and I downt these few farangs will support this new venture , I would aim at business Thais and Thai Chinees ( make it comfortable )and a few passing or local farangs who don't mind paying for quality food service and drinks.
Go up market a little and get the clientele to suit without going over the top.
The motley crew will always find the cheap beer in surin , I wouldent try to win these cheap charley customers ! Let them sit on the 7/11 doorstep .

Happy hour rewards everyone who knows what time the cheap beers are on offer - not necessarily regulars.

Don't tell me that you don't believe that some people would just come for happy hour and then move on. ?.....

It's just cool to say "i'm going to the beach…….."

Firstly …. yeah!!! we have a beach in Surin, I'll be sure to book a days diving for the weekend!

I was surprised with the amount of negative posts, even from people who haven't even been to this new vibrant bar….

'Happy Hour' is a promotion when you either get a FREE drink or a drink at a reduced price between certain hours, the promotion in question is buy 2 beers between 6pm and 8pm and you get a free one! I'm sure its not a requirement that you have to be 'happy' during those hours although you should be, because you have got something for FREE….

We all have our own vision of what makes the perfect bar, from decor and comfort to the vibe, friendly staff (owners) consistency, music, quality of food and drink and of course; most importantly is the price.

I think the prices they have set is excellent value for cocktails etc.., delicious and well presented exciting new food in SURIN for under 120 Baht.. The beer prices might need to go under review, although maybe its intentional !! (keeping the rifraf outside 7/11)

The owners are already listening to customer comments and have already ordered tables and chairs with legs…. you never know; we might get the Sea next :)

Wishing Pat and François all the best in their new venture and adventure !!

Michael :)

Firstly …. yeah!!! we have a beach in Surin, I'll be sure to book a days diving for the weekend!

I was surprised with the amount of negative posts, even from people who haven't even been to this new vibrant bar….

'Happy Hour' is a promotion when you either get a FREE drink or a drink at a reduced price between certain hours, the promotion in question is buy 2 beers between 6pm and 8pm and you get a free one! I'm sure its not a requirement that you have to be 'happy' during those hours although you should be, because you have got something for FREE….

We all have our own vision of what makes the perfect bar, from decor and comfort to the vibe, friendly staff (owners) consistency, music, quality of food and drink and of course; most importantly is the price.

I think the prices they have set is excellent value for cocktails etc.., delicious and well presented exciting new food in SURIN for under 120 Baht.. The beer prices might need to go under review, although maybe its intentional !! (keeping the rifraf outside 7/11)

The owners are already listening to customer comments and have already ordered tables and chairs with legs…. you never know; we might get the Sea next :)

Good, sensible and positive post, Beeone. I was working on one myself but you said it all!

Sh1t, i think i might have been in that local....what was its name...not the crown and mitre for sure...lol

Or were you boppin in Pippins

Good Luck To The Beach.....well done, a nice change for Surin...

Regards, Lemon Lounge , Prasat..

Last edited:

Couldn't of put it better myself (that's for sure :smile:) well said mate , great post !

Back