Trouble with a light switch

mahdam

Surin Founding Father
Although I am only a novice Electrician,I have just completed a total rewire of the
MIL's old house. All is fine accept for one double light switch that continues to confound me.
For light No1, I have taken the live wire from the consumer unit and inserted it in the L1 at the top of the switch, I have then taken the Live wire from the light and inserted it at the bottom of the switch.This light works fine, ie switches on when pressed at the top and off, when pressed at the bottom. For light No 2, I have taken a
Bridge wire from the L1 of switch 1 and inserted that in L1 on the second switch, I have now taken the Live wire from light 2 and inserted it into the bottom of switch 2.
This switch works in reverse to the other, Off when pressed at the top and on when pressed at the bottom. The switches are mounted correctly into the carrier and are the right way up, I have even totaly replaced the second switch, but the problem persists.
Any advice from a competant Elecrtician would be gratefully recieved.

What your describing is the classical use of what is called a "three way switch" you normally use these switch to turn a light on at door 1 and turn the light off at door 2. What you want are two "single pole light switches". By wiring them the way you describe will work and both switches will be in the same position. Using three way switches will work but this is the results. A single pole switch has only 2 terminals as a three way switch will have 3. Look again at both the switches an let me know.

Thank's GL. But the switches I have are only the single pole types.
They are to operate two different lights from one position.
The mystery is switch 1 operates its light correctly, whilst switch 2 that I have wired
as mirror image of No1 operates its light in reverse. ie Off is On, and On is Off??
Not a big deal in itself, but I like things right.

Thank's GL. But the switches I have are only the single pole types.
They are to operate two different lights from one position.
The mystery is switch 1 operates its light correctly, whilst switch 2 that I have wired
as mirror image of No1 operates its light in reverse. ie Off is On, and On is Off??
Not a big deal in itself, but I like things right.

If your sure then you must have the terminals switched, if not you will have to invert the switch.

If your drawing is correct your showing two switches each with 4 terminals (assuming one terminal is ground) . These are called 3 way switches and are used to control lighting from 2 different locations. This is your problem and they are not single pole switches. A single pole switch has only two terminals.

This is what I'm talking about yours maybe some what different on lay out but you should get the idea.

58699d1349990460-light-switch-issue-sw-types.jpg

Your drawing is showing me a 4 way switch.

No grounds on these switches. not sure if you can see, but the top two holes are marked L1 the bottom two are just marked L

Attachments

• P1040380.JPG
    P1040380.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
  • P1040381.JPG
    P1040381.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
No grounds on these switches. not sure if you can see, but the top two holes are marked L1 the bottom two are just marked L

You have 4 way switches. They are to control a light(s) from 3 separate locations. They can be used as your trying but will only operate the way you are experiencing. You need two single pole switches similar to the first photo in my last post.

After a sleepless night worring about this problemDream1 I have come to the conclusion that if these 2 switches are 100% identical there is no reason that if wired as you show, that switch 2 should act the same as switch 1, but I have serious doubts about this. Since you say that they both turn power on and off and the only difference is the position of S2 handle then I have to conclude that you have what is called one normally open and one normally closed switch. this could very easy of happen in the shop you purchased them. Do you have a multi meter to take continuity readings with?

After a sleepless night worring about this problemDream1 I have come to the conclusion that if these 2 switches are 100% identical there is no reason that if wired as you show, that switch 2 should act the same as switch 1, but I have serious doubts about this. Since you say that they both turn power on and off and the only difference is the position of S2 handle then I have to conclude that you have what is called one normally open and one normally closed switch. this could very easy of happen in the shop you purchased them. Do you have a multi meter to take continuity readings with?

Thank you GL for your input with my problem, and appologies for your sleepless night.
I to went to sleep last night puzeling over a problem that a retarded Goldfish should have been able to fix. Turns out to have been a faulty switch, in fact not one but two!! Must have picked them out of a bum batch in the shop.
Anyway all working fine now, thanks again for your support during my "dark time" when I thought I was losing it. Thanks3

Thank you GL for your input with my problem, and appologies for your sleepless night.
I to went to sleep last night puzeling over a problem that a retarded Goldfish should have been able to fix. Turns out to have been a faulty switch, in fact not one but two!! Must have picked them out of a bum batch in the shop.
Anyway all working fine now, thanks again for your support during my "dark time" when I thought I was losing it. Thanks3

Any time.boobs2Chokdee5boobs2Chokdee5

Just read about your lighting problems, I have just spent the last few hours hard wiring the 2 water pumps, like yourself I am not electrical expert but can get by, I know that you know my thoughts on Thai workmanship hence my decision to tackle the task myself, off to the builders merchants yesterday to purchase the necessary items, the pumps are currently on separate 2 pin plugs so I opted for 2 separate 20amp circuit breakers as we don't use the pumps continuously. I have to say that my long time opinion of Thai workmanship has changed, these guys are working with absolute shite quality it's a wonder anything works. Have already sent a request to UK to bring some proper (non Chinese) replacements..

another electrical switch issue (12 Volt DC)

I have a 4 position ignition switch; lets name the positions as follows;

A (auxillary), positive is led out on the A terminal, all instruments are fired up
O (off), positive remains at the O terminal, nothing takes place
I (ignition on) positive is led out on the I terminal, fuel pump is starting and all instruments are fired up
S (start) positive is led out on the I and S terminals, the solenoid on the start motor is triggered

what I would like to achieve (without too much cabling and things) is the following;
when the switch is moved to A position I would like the circuit/cable running from I to be broken/opened
(its a bit more to this than just preventing the fuel pump from running)

yes, I could install a manual switch on/in the circuit running from I

I was wondering; are there "relays" that would open rather than close the I circuit when fed with positive from A?

there are normally open and normally closed relays available, when pilot voltage is applied they will open/close

there are normally open and normally closed relays available, when pilot voltage is applied they will open/close

Most relays have both, if not all. As it is mechanicaly inherent in any design.
Unless of course you were using a solid state relay device and not an electro mechanical device.

another electrical switch issue (12 Volt DC)

I have a 4 position ignition switch; lets name the positions as follows;

A (auxillary), positive is led out on the A terminal, all instruments are fired up
O (off), positive remains at the O terminal, nothing takes place
I (ignition on) positive is led out on the I terminal, fuel pump is starting and all instruments are fired up
S (start) positive is led out on the I and S terminals, the solenoid on the start motor is triggered

what I would like to achieve (without too much cabling and things) is the following;
when the switch is moved to A position I would like the circuit/cable running from I to be broken/opened
(its a bit more to this than just preventing the fuel pump from running)

yes, I could install a manual switch on/in the circuit running from I

I was wondering; are there "relays" that would open rather than close the I circuit when fed with positive from A?

Yes there is. It would be called a normally closed relay. When you energized the relay the contacts goes from closed to open.

Back