New one way streets in Surin city 16.2.2015

Reading the FB page. Folks are not happy about this.

One person states all it will do is create traffic Chaos.
Another states "All this will do is give the local government a headache.

One even goes to say "if people did not double park there would not be a problem"
Well I'll be!

Goes on and on. There is only a few that say "Lets wait and see."

Whether it is the correct answer, It is to be hoped that the one way rule will be strictly enforced with motorbikes, bicycles and hand carts.

Being an infrequent visitor to Surin, I cannot help but notice on the occasions that I am in town that much of the problems/slowness is down to double parking. This problem must be enforced rigidly along with the one way system.

Far too many Thai drivers are too fcuking lazy to find a parking spot and walk 20/30 metres to where they want to be! 5000baht fines would be the order of the day! And that just for 1st offences!

I'm fascinated that they are "testing" the system on a Monday, probably the busiest day of the week. Will there be any signs or will folks just have to guess. In any case, it looks like a big money maker for the BiB mid month.

Oh! Gluck! Gluck! Gluck! Its difficult to see the map very clearly but it looks like my school run to Anubarnsurin is affected. First run 0700 tomorrow. Fun, fun, fun!

Rice, is this going to be all day, every day? Or is it only for the peak rush hours, 7 to 9 and 1600 to 1800? For such a significant change on the busiest roads in town I am appalled by the lack of information, the lack of notice and the poor quality of the graphics. I'll let you know how I get on later.

Rice, is this going to be all day, every day? Or is it only for the peak rush hours, 7 to 9 and 1600 to 1800? For such a significant change on the busiest roads in town I am appalled by the lack of information, the lack of notice and the poor quality of the graphics. I'll let you know how I get on later.

Would not have a clue. That graphic is too poor to work out and I could not find it on the main ATSURIN site. What other folks say on FB. That it may have something to do with the start of construction of a new sewage or drainage pipe. Very vague indeed.
I guess we will all find out in the fulness of time.

Would not have a clue. That graphic is too poor to work out and I could not find it on the main ATSURIN site. What other folks say on FB. That it may have something to do with the start of construction of a new sewage or drainage pipe. Very vague indeed.
I guess we will all find out in the fulness of time.

click on see map full shows all the details for the sight challenged...like me...

Attachments

• one way.jpg
    one way.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nice try Mike - still not there!

April Fools! Neinte, nada, nothing! No change this morning - everything the same as always.

About a year ago, we (parents) were asked by the Director of Anubarnsurin School, if anyone had any suggestion for how the traffic problems around the schools could be improved. The traffic is diabolical during the peak rush hours each day and even worse when it rains.

I did give the matter some thought and, surprisingly, I came to the conclusion that they ought to consider making it a 'one-way' system although not all the way into the main traffic lights in town. In effect, a very large roundabout going around the main schools and hospital complex. I never wrote up the suggestion so I will not claim any credit for what they appear to be doing. I do think this proposed 'one-way' system could improve traffic flow, if implemented properly. Maybe they are going to implement sometime later today.

April Fools! Neinte, nada, nothing! No change this morning - everything the same as always.

About a year ago, we (parents) were asked by the Director of Anubarnsurin School, if anyone had any suggestion for how the traffic problems around the schools could be improved. The traffic is diabolical during the peak rush hours each day and even worse when it rains.

I did give the matter some thought and, surprisingly, I came to the conclusion that they ought to consider making it a 'one-way' system although not all the way into the main traffic lights in town. In effect, a very large roundabout going around the main schools and hospital complex. I never wrote up the suggestion so I will not claim any credit for what they appear to be doing. I do think this proposed 'one-way' system could improve traffic flow, if implemented properly. Maybe they are going to implement sometime later today.

The problem with the traffic around the schools is that all schools let out at the same time, 4:20, causing a boat load of congestion. Now if they staggered a few schools by say 30 minutes (?) it might relieve the traffic jams on both Tesaban 1 and Luk Muang road, but unfortunately i don't think this fits in with Thai logic.

From what I've been told yesterday it will be like this for the next year. They are going to be tearing up the streets and putting in new underground pipes and such. Should be a real mess. Cry3.Hair_Out1

I don't see how making the street in front of the schools would help solve the problem really. There'd still be too many people there at the same time trying to pick up their kids (many of who live within a kilometer of the school and could easily walk home). Pat's idea of staggered times (opening and closing) would work I think. But then they would likely f**k that up somehow as well. shrug1

From what I've been told yesterday it will be like this for the next year. They are going to be tearing up the streets and putting in new underground pipes and such. Should be a real mess. Cry3.Hair_Out1
Correct. The one way streets are only for construction of the new under ground drain pipes to be installed in town to prevent flooding. Nothing to do with traffic other than construction traffic. It is only temporary.

^^^ Correct Joe.

Additionally two major flood plain projects are currently being undertaken north ,east and City's centre in advance of upcoming monsoon season...possibly to alleviate some flood damage in the future.
(sorry).

For every positive step forward there will be a negative.

The funny thing about living on a flat platau. Where is the water going to go to from this new flood mitigation?. I know ! Sri Boran Rd canal !!??.

It looks like they started work on the one-way system yesterday. On the afternoon school run I noticed that they had carved a large gap in the central reservation opposite the vocational college.

On the subject of road systems I also ran across the worse road works in town. They are working at and around the main intersection on the ring road near Robinson. They have already excavated 2 large holes for the drainage system cutting across the ring road, one either side of the traffic lights, that is seriously affecting the flow of traffic from North to South. Now they have started to put down sand across the actual intersection affecting the flow of traffic from West to East. Looks like they want to raise the road surface. If so, good idea because that intersection is very prone to serious flooding. Now there is a detour in place and all traffic exiting town towards Sikhoraphun on the 226 cannot go straight across but has to turn left towards Thep Thani, U-turn and then return to the intersection. The turning circle for large trucks is very tight. I would hate to see a fully-loaded sugar cane lorry and trailer trying to go around in one swing. I have never seen such an ignorant and aggressive display by so many drivers trying to circumvent the queue and jockey for position. Total chaos during the evening rush hour. Look out Coffee - negotiate at your peril!
MonkeyFightMonkeyFightMonkeyFight

Last edited:
Back