LANDMINES SET TO BE DESTROYED

gotlost

Kap Chong R Us Member
LANDMINES SET TO BE DESTROYED
Officers from Royal Thai Armed Forces’ Thailand Mine Action Centre (TMAC) teamed up with personnel from the Thai Civilian Deminer Association (TDA) to transport 3,000 defused wartime landmines retrieved from T|hai-Cambodia border area of Dan Chong Prik to have them ceremoniously destroyed. The ceremony will be held today at Ban Charas in Surin’s Bua Ched district to mark the annual International Day For Mine Awareness and Assistance in Mine Action. The landmine clearance activities are important to prevent death |and injury to underprivileged villagers and to provide safe areas for trading at border-crossing passes.
313 Viewed

9b7d880c35b4935b90d8abf61a290ffe.jpeg

Apr 03,2017 17:55

93e8a0897717087f39f52e0d3b15c977.jpeg

11f49ed6c3c1b5c0a64ac2439c69ccc9.jpeg

1380559145e4c651d35f9d9049481605.jpeg

6f3f031a2729ac198105ff1f7930fa47.jpeg

This on the west side of the Chong Sa Ngom crossing Si Saket. Until this problem is taken care off that crossing will not be fully active like Chong Chom.

What do they use those stacked bricks for? I don't think they would buffer much of an explosion if that is what they are for.
Anyway I guess these guys most certainly know what they are doing. As Darwinism is a big thing in that trade.
They are doing a noble job. All kudos to them in their work.

What do they use those stacked bricks for? I don't think they would buffer much of an explosion if that is what they are for.
Anyway I guess these guys most certainly know what they are doing. As Darwinism is a big thing in that trade.
They are doing a noble job. All kudos to them in their work.

My guess is that those bricks are not bricks at all. I think they are slabs of explosives, most likely TNT. Note the hole in the end of the brick/slab. What is that for? I would suggest that is where the detonator is inserted to trigger the explosion.

e06459482b14111a5335ab52de1d1dd1.jpeg

Similar slab of TNT:

Black01062015%20075-1.jpg

One method of disposal for slabs of TNT/Semtex would be by burning. Build a bonfire, light blue touch paper and stand well clear. That's how we used to dispose of time expired rocket motors and similar.

Boyz will be boyz. Reminds me of the Larson Far Side comic of one scientist sneaking up on another scientist in the labratory with an inflated paper bag readying popping the bag behind the later scientist's head (Boom!).
Sounds like a Songkraan blast for Buachet.

Should make for a decent video if no children or livestock are wondering in the area.

My guess is that those bricks are not bricks at all. I think they are slabs of explosives, most likely TNT. Note the hole in the end of the brick/slab. What is that for? I would suggest that is where the detonator is inserted to trigger the explosion.

I did not pay attention well enough. Where did the bricks of TNT come from was it in an ordnance of some kind.?
You can see I never did bomb making 101. :eek:

I did not pay attention well enough. Where did the bricks of TNT come from was it in an ordnance of some kind.?

Standar operating kit for this kind of operation.:cool:

For disposal/demolition it is quite usual to take the explosive 'fillings' from the bomb or shell casing whenever it is safe and possible to do so. This way the ordinance can be burnt rather than exploded - a much safer option of disposal with no risk of shrapnel. I am not familiar with the type of landmines supplied to and laid by Thai and Khmer Rouge armies. I am no expert on landmines either. However, I guess they were many and varied. Anti-personnel devices have some things in common; a mechanism to set them off i.e. a trip-wire or a pressure plate, a detonator and an explosive charge, a casing and usually shrapnel / ball bearings to inflict maximum damage to the unfortunate victim without actually killing them. Its far more time consuming and you need far more personnel to look after and rescue injured soldiers with mangled or missing limbs rather than dead bodies. So to answer your question, I guess the TNT bricks/slabs are the explosive innards from landmines or anti-personnel devices recovered from the mined areas. The photos also show unexploded mortar bombs, ENERGA anti-tank grenades and some bluish-green pots and some rusty cans behind them - don't know what these are but I guess more explosive devices/landmines.

P.S. I am pleased we have found one subject for which you have limited knowledge - 555!

I might add, its safer to mess around with things like landmines rather than unexploded mortar bombs. Once the landmine has been made safe - and that's the tricky and dangerous job - and a pin or a plate has been inserted into the mechanism to prevent activation of the device it is then relatively safe. Same as replacing a pin in a hand grenade for example. The mine can then be disassembled and the detonator and explosive charge removed for disposal. If it is not possible to make the device safe it must be exploded in-situ with a supplementary explosive charge. However, an unexploded mortar bomb that has already been fired from the tube has already initiated the detonation chain. However, the weapon did not explode on impact which means the detonation chain / striker failed in some way. This makes it very dangerous to handle as a sudden jarring movement may be sufficient for the striker to continue on its way and set off the detonator and main explosive charge. Please note the way the army personnel are handling the mortars - very carefully - laid out on sand in a large oval bucket (2nd and 3rd photos). These will not be disassembled but put in a pit for disposal by external detonation / explosive charge.

Thai and Khmer Rouge armies.

I think you may find a lot of the landmines were dropped by the USA and Russia in Cambodia in the war that never happened.....officially......but google Pol Pot and get an education. Better still go to Cambodia and witness a lost generation..... all the teachers, doctors, scientists who died for no other reason then they weren't peasants......Mr T anybody?

To make it simple watch the "Killing Fields" movie

In addition to Nomads very good advice.....when you are 4 years old don't pick up something that looks like a parrot.or a budgie....that's gonna hurt....for the rest of your life...assuming you live.

I think you may find a lot of the landmines were dropped by the USA and Russia in Cambodia in the war that never happened.....officially......but google Pol Pot and get an education. Better still go to Cambodia and witness a lost generation..... all the teachers, doctors, scientists who died for no other reason then they weren't peasants......Mr T anybody?

To make it simple watch the "Killing Fields" movie

NONE of the landlines in this area were placed by the USA. Looks like you need to go back and study the history of this location. The land mines an the ordinance that is being disposed of is from the Khmer Ruge and Vietnames Armies as they were chasing Pol Pot into Thailand.

Last edited:
Back