Government water supply

Yorky

Fullritis Member
We have had government water now for some 8 years. This week we found our 1,000 litre tank virtually empty (the first day of Songkhran). We called the water provider who did manage to send out a guy the following morning. He disconnected the supply (before their meter) and discovered that there was merely a trickle from the supply. "I need to get a digger to dig up the road" he says, "but it will not be available until tomorrow. You can have water delivered to fill your tank".

Anticipating problems we rang to have a cubic metre delivered. Tomorrow!

The promised digger did not arrive and we were told it was Songkhran! It may be here on Monday.

Anyway, the cubic metre arrived today in a 7,000 litre truck. The cost was Bht 380.00 for the truck irrespective of how much water was needed. When asked if the water authority would pay the cost, the driver just laughed. He advised that if the situation arose again in the future, we should buy a few plastic dustbins for the back of our truck and go and collect the water ourselves - much cheaper.

My thoughts - "f**k that for a game of soldiers".

The above is purely for information.

Same here in our village for 2-3 weeks, very poor pressure. A few moaning about it but nothing gets done.
My tank gets nearly full overnight so not bothered.

Sorry to hear of your problems, water supply across the paddy lands in Kokpalat is still good. Pressure is down but not by a lot.

My tank gets nearly full overnight so not bothered.

As does mine normally. No pressure at all during the day but the tank is usually filled overnight. A full tank would last us three days but if we are frugal, possibly five.

"Sh1t happens" as they say. The main road outside my previous home was being widened. That involved the capping of our source for drinking water, a well that had provided delicious water for several generations, which would then be under the middle of one carriageway. The contractors diverted our pumped supply from the well to the adjacent river which was clear but full of farming run-off - and the overflow from the septic tanks and cesspits of homes found further upstream. They also provided a bottled water cooler for drinking and cooking, which was fine when they remembered to order the large bottles.

It was July, and a taxi was due to collect me from the house at 4pm to catch a flight to Argentina. I packed a case at 3.30 pm, and stepped into the power shower - fed from the river via the central heating boiler. I was literally covered in shower gel when a JCB digging the road severed the pipe between the pump and the house, causing an instantaneous drought. The delivery of bottled water had been forgotten by them yet again, and the sight of a hairy, apoplectic ape-man head to toes in suds, raging and running down the drive with only a small towel to cover his modesty caused the JCB's driver to disappear over the horizon. My only option was to continue past the pump and jump into the river, still cursing loudly.

The contractors' contracts manager was on site in a few minutes, promising the earth, reconnection of the supply, and new water bottles before the taxi arrived. I had no time to waste when 4pm arrived without his promised remedies, and set off for the airport while still drying out from my swim. Mains water was connected a few months later, but was incredibly unreliable for several years until was finally sorted after I returned to Wales from Surin one January to find that a non-return valve had filled with grit from the mains before a big freeze which had burst the pipe from my attic tanks to the kitchen. That cost Welsh Water a small fortune... to say nothing of my discomfort as a result of the flooded kitchen, dining room, living room, and the study.

It makes Surin Waterworks' supply seem perfect!

One man's village is another man's shytehole...different strokes for different folks.

The guy arrived this morning (well, 10:30) and advised that the digger was captain hooked. He would go and try to find another.

11:30 he arrived with three other guys and a couple of shovels and pick axes. They then spent the next three hours digging up both sides of the road and eventually discovered that there was a blockage in the main. This was removed (I know not how) and we now have flow and pressure, actually better that the last 8 years!

The mains water was off for a day on Thirstday so we took the opportunity to drain and clean the inside of the 1000 litre tank today. It took over one hour and even though it was quite cool earlier I had quite a sweat on just watching her.

Back