A Garden Fence & other D.I.Y. Projects

And Tare took out another two gate panels yesterday afternoon...
You should really check out the hardwood alternative. I feel reasonably confident that the hardwood would be a stronger alternative to the Shera board, especially when fixed at the top, middle, and bottom. I exhausted the stock of 1/2" x 6" x 3 m boards but they still have some 1/2" x 6" x 3.5m boards at 189 baht each. One of these boards would make three 1/2" x 6"x 1m panels or six 1/2" x 3" x 1m panels. I have two tabletop machine saws and cut the boards to width and length myself, before finishing with a light sanding. It would be no trouble to cut them to size for you.

Last edited:
Thanks for your advice Nomad. I have a variety of power saws here, so won't be taking advantage of you kindness though. It does seem that prolonged exposure to the elements here is making the Shera more brittle, and I will need to do something more permanent before long. At the moment, I'm dealing with two holes in my roof following the high wind of Tuesday evening. A hip tile hadn't been secured by the builders (IQ) fell off the top bit of the roof, bounced onto and smashed tiles on the lower roof, before landing on the driveway. Happily, the cars, dog, and humans weren't affected, but the builder is reluctant to accept any responsibility... "we'll send the foreman around on Monday" is as far as we've moved. "If rain and or more winds affect the property before you fix it, you will have to pay for the consequential costs, IQ" was our response... we await further response.

Last time that happened, we took IQ to the complaints department at City Hall. IQ capitulated. We now have a further 9 of these hip tiles that have not been screwed in place. IQ claim that the 5 year old tiles are old, and that they are our responsibility. UP YOURS IQ. You didn't fix them as you had their neighbours, so you are still liable...

And Tare doesn't climb on the roof! ;)

Thanks for your advice Nomad. I have a variety of power saws here, so won't be taking advantage of you kindness though. It does seem that prolonged exposure to the elements here is making the Shera more brittle, and I will need to do something more permanent before long. At the moment, I'm dealing with two holes in my roof following the high wind of Tuesday evening. A hip tile hadn't been secured by the builders (IQ) fell off the top bit of the roof, bounced onto and smashed tiles on the lower roof, before landing on the driveway. Happily, the cars, dog, and humans weren't affected, but the builder is reluctant to accept any responsibility... "we'll send the foreman around on Monday" is as far as we've moved. "If rain and or more winds affect the property before you fix it, you will have to pay for the consequential costs, IQ" was our response... we await further response.

Last time that happened, we took IQ to the complaints department at City Hall. IQ capitulated. We now have a further 9 of these hip tiles that have not been screwed in place. IQ claim that the 5 year old tiles are old, and that they are our responsibility. UP YOURS IQ. You didn't fix them as you had their neighbours, so you are still liable...

I am beginning to feel for you @Merlin. I hope your roofing problems are soon resolved.

That is interesting about Shera. Not something that I was particularly familiar with but we have recently used it as cladding on a steel frame for an outside storage building.

That is interesting about Shera. Not something that I was particularly familiar with but we have recently used it as cladding on a steel frame for an outside storage building.
I used shera 20 years ago to replace rotting wood on the front and rear fascade of my home 1st floor level. No problems....seems sound.

Shera board is good but brittle. It snaps easily when subject to external forces/blows. I see many Shera board fences with broken panels, usually broken by someone being careless with a pole or a football. It's a question of horses for courses, chose the correct material for the job. I am considering building a workshop in the garden using Shera board panels, much the same as Nick. Gate charging pit bull terriers or Tare, need something more resilient and less brittle than thin Shera board panels.

Merlin is clearly like me . When he believes he is correct he will fight to the bitter end. Invariably you win.

Indeed Nick. I'm not prepared to compromise when stupid meets good service standards. Another example: the kids shower heater packed up a couple of weeks ago. Their bathroom backs on to our en-suite, and the shower units sit back to back. I bought a new shower heater, and connected it in the same way as the one I'd removed (they are the same Panasonic make and model) but it wouldn't work. I have a circuit tester that showed the cable was live, but the negative was live too, according to that device. I couldn't fathom it out so called the electrician. He came and fiddled with it, scratched his head, pushed the wires around and decided that the cable in the wall down from the roof had a break in it somewhere. He replaced the cover on the heater and it worked. Oh good. I paid him a smallish amount for his time (he wouldn't give a price himself) and he left. Then I noticed that he'd removed the front from the consumer unit and left it on a table, together with the dummy front for a shelving unit I'd fitted to conceal the CU. cursing him gently, I refitted both. That night my wife said something about our bathroom being cold. Eh? It turned out that OUR shower heater was no longer working. Supplied with power by the same cable as its neighbour, fiddling with one of them had apparently caused the other to disconnect. We called him again, but were told that he wasn't available as he was looking after his sick wife's equally sick sister... etc., and we should find another sparks to do the job. Having paid him once already, I'm not about to pay someone else to fix his bodging. So it is cold showers for me at the moment, and he's receiving regular complaints.... Stubborn farang indeed!

Bruno's life matters - freedom for Bruno
Bruno gets plenty of freedom already, he has only lost his dust bowl, used immediately after a scrub and shampoo, and his 'Dig to Australia' hole. There is always the back garden he can attack if he wants to. I would encourage that. :D:D:D

Bruno's life matters - freedom for Bruno
c41747fb760db63a3fbdb73d02ac58be.jpg

ebe69c00ba964b7005b44a7ce24c4964.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back