Rain?

20210502_165706.jpg

Before the Deluge.

Of course it isn't the rainy season to comply with "official data" as per another member. ;-p

That was a nuisance. Power went off when it was already dark and I couldn't find the torches. After knocking a few things over I finally found one.

I could continue reading on the stoep with the laptop.

The storm was very loud here, with thunder crashes immediately after the lightning flashes. No delay = storm overhead as you know. No power outages, thankfully. My old laptop battery is goosed and lasts only a few minutes when unplugged (memo to self: get a replacement ordered!!!) Worse though is the loss of signal when the router goes off too in a power cut. The standby is my iPhone's personal hotspot - until the battery dies on the phone too.

Nine years ago frequent power cuts were the norm. Then things improved and power cuts became infrequent and of short duration. Now it seems, we are back to square one. Power cuts are occurring more often, maybe every time it rains, and the duration seems to be getting longer. I think it's time to install an emergency lighting system that lights up as the power goes off. That would be an improvement on looking for candles in the dark and a lighter to light them.

The storm was very loud here, with thunder crashes immediately after the lightning flashes. No delay = storm overhead as you know. No power outages, thankfully. My old laptop battery is goosed and lasts only a few minutes when unplugged (memo to self: get a replacement ordered!!!) Worse though is the loss of signal when the router goes off too in a power cut. The standby is my iPhone's personal hotspot - until the battery dies on the phone too.

I took my old Acer laptop to the shop to have the battery replaced. The shop didn't have the "tools" to open up the case and didn't have a battery anyway. They said "we will have to send it to Khorat". I didn't bother.

The latest model (Acer again) apparently has a battery that cannot be replaced!

I took my old Acer laptop to the shop to have the battery replaced. The shop didn't have the "tools" to open up the case and didn't have a battery anyway. They said "we will have to send it to Khorat". I didn't bother.

The latest model (Acer again) apparently has a battery that cannot be replaced!
Built in obsolescence. Buyer beware.

Back