19 years later, missing man returns to village full of scars Tells of 'nightmare' at sea

gotlost

Kap Chong R Us Member
If one reads the article one will discover that he worked construction jobs in Thailand for 17 years before giving up his identification card to an employment agent and taking a job on a trawler.

He couldn't make a call to anyone in his family during those 17 years to let them know ? (Hmmmm.)

Hi Coffee, I did see a BBC documentary about something similar to this. Thai Navy were stopping fishing boats looking for underage crew and they told a story of Chinese crew who were effectively held hostage on board, stopped from going ashore etc. All very illegal and shocking in this day and age, but still going on apparently.

If one reads the article one will discover that he worked construction jobs in Thailand for 17 years before giving up his identification card to an employment agent and taking a job on a trawler.

He couldn't make a call to anyone in his family during those 17 years to let them know ? (Hmmmm.)

I am sure the story is so badly written, it only sounds like BS. Like the part where they say he could not find his way home from Bangkok because he could not read or write. So he got the job on the trawler.
Fishing boat slavery is real and I do not doubt this happened to him. But the story does sound like a load of crap. Probably invented by the so called journalist.

I think this fellow might have found Lao Khao nineteen years ago (on dry land)...:p

My father in law has worked on the fishing boats and he, with the rest of the crew, were arrested by the Royal Malaysian Navy and did a couple of years in prison for their crimes. I understand the family did not hear from him for over three years, no income either, and yet that never stopped him finding his way home to Isaan after he was released. He also has 5 bullets still lodged in his body to this day but that has nothing to do with the fishing fleet. That was due to an amorous incident in the south of Thailand concerning a potential future father in law who thought his daughter could do better! He was shot while running away with his pants still dangling around his knees so I believe (its a good story anyway). And yet, even severely wounded he still managed to find his way back to Isaan. I think I could write a better article than the one in the Bangkok Post - and factual too.

Back