4 Years today.

Just to refresh

Six killed in roof collapse during heavy thunder rainstorm

5-14-2014-9-53-27-AM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Six persons who included a family of three were killed when the construction material and house decoration building collapsed during a torrential summer rainstorm yesterday evening in Surin province.

Surin police said the incident happened at about 5 p.m. at Siam Global House Centre which is located on Kilometre 3 of the Surin-Prasart road in Muang district.

There was heavy rainstorm and lightning near the centre, police said.

But after a lightning struck the front gate of the centre, the roof collapsed and fell to the ground.

Owner of the centre which sells construction materials and house furniture Mr Charun Petnok, his wife and 12-year-old daughter working at the building were buried by the collapsed rooftop, along with three employees.

They were all killed at the scene.

Two other employees were also injured and were later admitted to Surin hospital.

Police and rescue workers said the 12-metre long and 49-metre wide metal structure roof which connected to the main office building and weighed several tons collapsed to the ground during the storm and after being struck by lightning.

Rescue workers had to use backhoe to lift tons of the metal debris to bring out all the six bodies.

Investigation was being conducted if the extended roof was permitted to be built by officials or not.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/six-killed-roof-collapse-heavy-thunder-rainstorm/

-- Thai PBS 2014-05-14

Four years passed by so fast!

I didn't know that the owner, his wife and daughter were all killed by the collapse, and didn't see any further news about an investigation - or the consequences. Any info on that from anyone please?

Four years passed by so fast!

I didn't know that the owner, his wife and daughter were all killed by the collapse, and didn't see any further news about an investigation - or the consequences. Any info on that from anyone please?

It was the store supervisor not the owner. The governor off Surin ordered the store closed and an investigation conducted. The store was closed for about 9 months. The architect and engineer firm were the main problem. GH had used these for all their stores and their store in Mekdahan had the same happen and killed 3. Their store in Chiang May burnt to the ground. That storm I saw from KC passing our farm from the SW to the NE and it looked nasty, it was about 2 hours latter news of this was breaking. For a very long time Thais would not go to this store because of the ghost.:rolleyes: SWMBO was one of them who in 2016 ventured inside shaking.:eek: Now I can't keep her out.:mad::D

There is quite a large shrine built all the way out back for the ghosts. It is amazing that it has been 4 years already.

If my alzslimers serves me correct. I recall GH Thailand by their own paid out serious money for the supervisor/wife/children to their family and covered all cost. All employees continued to receive pay while the reconstruction was done.. There was a mega Buddha blessing for the departed and the reopening.

Back