5 Tips for Good Etiquette in Thai Temples

Ivor the Engine

Nowhere man
5 Tips for Good Etiquette in Thai Temples

http://twitter.com/share

In my travels, I’ve visited many kinds of religious shrines, temples, and churches. From the Vatican to the Blue Mosque to holy caves in the Taklimakan desert, I always find it interesting to observe local etiquette and mark dos and don’ts when visiting sacred sites.
Thailand is one of the countries where I most enjoy seeing the day-to-day rituals of religious life. From nationally revered sites like Wat Pho in Bangkok to the ancient, ruined chedis of Sukhothai to the umpteen spirit houses present in every back yard, there are many fascinating traditions on display.
540a.jpg
Pin It
Wat Pho in Bangkok is one of Thailand’s most visited temples (Photo by Vedanta Barooah)

Here are five basic points of etiquette to observe when you visit a Buddhist temple in Thailand. Can you think of any more good tips? Please let us know in the comments section below.
1) Cover bare skin from shoulders to knees

Thailand has such glorious beach-worthy weather most of the year that sun-worshipping tourists forget going to the temple in a tank top and shorts is not very respectful. If you haven’t got any sleeved shirts or long-legged pants available and you still want to visit a temple, sarongs or scarves are an accepted way to cover you up for a short time.
2) Watch your feet

No, don’t watch your feet literally; you’ll be too busy looking at the beautiful temple to do that. But in Thai culture feet are the least holy part of your body, and shoes are considered downright disgusting. You should take off your shoes before entering a temple (and before going into homes, and even shops in some parts of the country) and be careful to never point your feet at statues of the Buddha if you kneel or sit in front of the altar. Pointing your finger at someone is rude in many cultures; it is here too.
541a.jpg
Pin It
Be respectful: Don’t climb on statues or structures at Thai temples, even if they’re ancient ruins
(Photo by Kristine)

3) Don’t touch the religious statues

A lot of the older temples in Thailand, including the historic sites at Ayutthaya and Sukhothai, have amazing, huge statues of the Buddha. Some of them look like they’d be a lot of fun to climb on, but putting your sweaty hands and dirty feet all over a sacred image is definitely not a respectful thing to do. A good rule of thumb to follow is that your head should always be below a sacred statue’s head, to show respect.
4) Respect monks

The image of a saffron-robed monk is a compelling photo to want to take back home with you. But, before you start snapping away, does the monk want you to take his picture? If possible, ask first. However, when asking, be respectful, and don’t get his attention by touching him. Women, especially, should not touch a monk or hand him anything directly. Local people around you will give monks a high wai–a sign of respect made by putting palms together and raising the peaked hands to the face. The different respect-levels of wai are notoriously difficult for foreigners to do right–but I’ve noticed that everyone appreciates it when I try.
5) Don’t get in the way of the people praying

There’s so much to look at in Thai temples–they’re full of gilt statues, elaborate murals and flower garlands, and are often set within peaceful, garden-like courtyards–that it might be easy to forget people don’t just come there to gaze around. Thai temples are functional houses of worship, and locals file in at all hours of the day to pray. Be aware of areas within the temple where a lot of people are making offerings and try not to disrupt them.

COPIED FROM HERE . . http://thaholiday.com/5-tips-for-good-etiquette-in-thai-temples/

Back