A 5-year old girl killed and three others injured in train-car crash

gotlost

Kap Chong R Us Member
A 5-year old girl killed and three others injured in train-car crash

train.jpg

A five-year old girl was killed while her father and two young cousins were injured when a pickup truck in which they were travelling was rammed by a train at a railway crossing in in Muang district of Surin province about noon on Friday.

Muang district police said that the rapid train from Ubon Ratchathani bound for Bangkok was approaching the Muang district’s railway station at about noon when it crashed into a pickup truck, driven by Mr Suraphan Nualyaem, 34, which tried to cross the rail track at the crossing not far away from the railway station.

The train dragged the truck to about 200 metres from the railway crossing before it finally stopped.

Full Story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/5-year-old-girl-killed-three-others-injured-train-car-crash/

"The railway crossing is under construction and there is no barricade or any sign to warn motorists of approaching trains and Suraphan tried to cross the rail track apparently unaware of the approaching train, police added."

Still a f**king Moron. Uncontrolled intersection or railway crossing should always be treated with respect it deserves. Mind you the same idiot morons exist in the west, just in larger numbers here.
Maybe he did not know there was a railway crossing there, maybe it was his first trip through there. Nah still a Moron!

The "accident" occurred no too far from our place. My wife was on the scene about 5 minutes after it occurred as it happened in our local Tambon Mueng Thi. The crossing is far from "under construction". It is in the middle of town, 200 metres from the local cop shop, and 200 meters from the large train station. The crossing is well sign posted, on an elevated road with a series of sharp bends as the road rises to the crossing, there is clear vision on both sides for as far as the eye can see. The crossing is absolutely impossible to miss, they are in the process of installing boom gates.

The driver was a local man who was picking up his 2 young kids from primary school which was only 100 metres from the crossing would have used this crossing thousands of times. he lived about 1000 metres from the school on the other side of the tracks. By the way the death toll is 3 dead now, the male driver and his 2 young daughters, a young boy who was in the tray jumped out when he realised that the car was going to get hit.

BUT! There was a rail employee manning the crossing at the time! I have seen it many times, when a train is approaching the rail employee in, official uniform and carrying a red flag, walks the 200 metres from the station to the crossing and stops traffic as the train approaches. My wife tells me, from talking to the large amount of people at the scene, the driver acknowledged the rail employee with a nod of the head, stopped or slowed briefly then drove through the crossing.

It was also ascertained that he was drunk. I will post a photo of the crossing later.

Drunk ?
Possibly thought his car was in park...still a farkin' eeejit !
(Shyte happens...then you die.)

If he was totally inebriated drunk picking up the kids from school...that's very sad indeed.
RIP to the family. :(

This prat should be tarred and feathered then hung by the neck at the crossing for all to see. And hang a sign around his neck in Thai WHY. BTW sense he is dead I will settle for hanging the corps up for public display.

Last edited:
Here are some photos I took today of the crossing. First is taken from out front of the school where the drunk father picked up his kids, the road turns right and rises to the crossing just to the right of the centre of the photo. Second and third are taken from the right hand bend showing a left turn then a right turn before the crossing. Four and five are of the crossing. Six and seven are of the clear view that the driver would have had if he had bothered to look, the train was coming from his left, the station is in picture seven down the tracks. Eight and nine are the car at the local cop shop. The driver was definitely drunk and had music blaring, he stopped momentarily then just took off.
DSC00002.JPG DSC00003.JPG DSC00004.JPG DSC00005.JPG DSC00006.JPG DSC00007.JPG DSC00008.JPG DSC00009.JPG DSC00010.JPG

Sadly the train was possibly going too slow for the driver to see. :confused:

Good pictures to illustrate the visual obstacle at that crossing. Well done Wombat.

Thanks Wombat, very similar to the other crossings over the railway line going into Sikhor. R.I.P. to the departed innocents. Such a tragic waste of young lives, not to mention the impact such a loss will have on the grieving mother too, now presumably all alone.

Assuming that the pictures showing the track are taken both in the west and east direction, how could anyone possibly not see a train coming? Seriously, when I cross railway lines, gated/barriered or not, I always slow and look both ways before venturing across.

Assuming that the pictures showing the track are taken both in the west and east direction, how could anyone possibly not see a train coming? Seriously, when I cross railway lines, gated/barriered or not, I always slow and look both ways before venturing across.

Seriously Yorky , that is what any reasonable person would think, but alas we are dealing with a completely different mind set.
Reg 44 wants to change this mind set?? Good luck!

[QUOTE="nomad97, post: 198234, member: not to mention the impact such a loss will have on the grieving mother too, now presumably all alone.[/QUOTE]
And if this grieving mother had seen the drunken husband going off to collect the kids from school, do you think she would have stopped him? RIP the innocents.

[QUOTE="nomad97, post: 198234, member: not to mention the impact such a loss will have on the grieving mother too, now presumably all alone.
And if this grieving mother had seen the drunken husband going off to collect the kids from school, do you think she would have stopped him? RIP the innocents.[/QUOTE]

Would that 'if' be a fact or some conjecture ?

And if this grieving mother had seen the drunken husband going off to collect the kids from school, do you think she would have stopped him? RIP the innocents.

Would that 'if' be a fact or some conjecture ?[/QUOTE]

Personally I fell the mother is as responsible as her departed so called husband. No sympathy from me on either of them. The children yes.

Back