AAC Blocks: Thermal Efficiency of

Peciacake

After searching SF forum and other expat forum posts for AAC / Qcon blocks & not being able to find a direct answer to my query I would be grateful for advice / experience re the best method of QCon block construction. A builder we are considering has recommended external walls constructed using 20x20x60 QCon blocks whereas we'd planned for a cavity wall using 20X7.5X60 blocks with a styrene foam sheet sandwiched between to maximise insulation. The builder believes we will achieve the same insulative effect using the single 20x20x60 blocks. Does anyone have a reference guide available or have experience with the single-brick method? Any advice appreciated.

After searching SF forum and other expat forum posts for AAC / Qcon blocks & not being able to find a direct answer to my query I would be grateful for advice / experience re the best method of QCon block construction. A builder we are considering has recommended external walls constructed using 20x20x60 QCon blocks whereas we'd planned for a cavity wall using 20X7.5X60 blocks with a styrene foam sheet sandwiched between to maximise insulation. The builder believes we will achieve the same insulative effect using the single 20x20x60 blocks. Does anyone have a reference guide available or have experience with the single-brick method? Any advice appreciated.
Contact coffee as was just recently the last build to use them.

I would suggest the man to consult is a fellow forum member, @Bandersnatch. He has written an excellent blog called: https://ecohousethailand.com/. Well worth a read.

Contact coffee as was just recently the last build to use them.

@Peciacake
My experience is limited as I have not resided in the new addition.
Finishing waterproofing on roof...touching up painting...waiting on curtains...etc.

So a "reference guide" or/ with "insulative effect" experience I have nought.

While waiting to find a more authoritative source of information, this forum thread may be interesting to read: coolthaihouse.com • View topic - Two walls Vs Q-con blocks

As someone living in a 2 storey built using sections of the red-brick method interspersed with standard cement blocks, any other form of construction would be a vast improvement!

To answer the OP, I have analysed the thermal efficiency of 2 different Q-Con walls, one being a single wall built with 20mm thick Q-Con bricks, the other a double wall of 75mm Q-Con bricks with a 50mm sheet of polystyrene sandwiched in between. All information obtained from the Internet and references provided.

1620863390901.png
Reference: https://static-marketing-2.onestockhome.com/attachments/581/qcon_handbook_eng.pdf

From the Q-Con handbook, 20mm bricks have a thermal efficiency of 2.342 against 1.079 for the 75mm brick. So 2 x 75 mm bricks would have a R rating of 2.158 against the 200mm brick's R rating of 2.342.

A 50mm polystyrene sheet has a thermal efficiency (R-Value) of 1.32m2K/W.
Reference: https://www.insulationshop.co/50mm_polystyrene_insulation_boards_eps_70jablite.html

It follows, a double wall of 2 x 75mm Q-Con wall with a 50mm insert of polystyrene sheet would have a thermal efficiency or R rating of 2.158 + 1.32 = 3.478. This is significantly more than a single wall of 200mm Q-Con brick that only offers an R rating of 2.342.

In conclusion, your builder has not done the maths! I believe his advice is incorrect. A double brick wall of 75mm bricks with a 50mm polystyrene sheet in between has an R rating more than 1.6 times higher than a single 200mm wall.

N.B. I am not an expert in this field, I have only analysed information from the Internet. Check my findings and draw your own conclusions.

Last edited:
While waiting to find a more authoritative source of information, this forum thread may be interesting to read: coolthaihouse.com • View topic - Two walls Vs Q-con blocks

As someone living in a 2 storey built using sections of the red-brick method interspersed with standard cement blocks, any other form of construction would be a vast improvement!

Interesting suggestion to use burnt rice husks as insulation. I would never have thought of that. Easy to get in Surin and free for domestic use. I use loads on my garden.

Family collecting free burnt rice at Surin Biomass power plant:

20200912_034750974_ios.jpg

To answer the OP, I have analysed the thermal efficiency of 2 different Q-Con walls, one being a single wall built with 20mm thick Q-Con bricks, the other a double wall of 75mm Q-Con bricks with a 50mm sheet of polystyrene sandwiched in between. All information obtained from the Internet and references provided.

View attachment 40202
Reference: https://static-marketing-2.onestockhome.com/attachments/581/qcon_handbook_eng.pdf

From the Q-Con handbook, 20mm bricks have a thermal efficiency of 2.342 against 1.079 for the 75mm brick. So 2 x 75 mm bricks would have a R rating of 2.158 against the 20mm brick's R rating of 2.342.

Reference: https://www.insulationshop.co/50mm_polystyrene_insulation_boards_eps_70jablite.html

It follows, a double wall of 2 x 75mm Q-Con wall with a 50mm insert of polystyrene sheet would have a thermal efficiency or R rating of 2.158 + 1.32 = 3.478. This is significantly more than a single wall of 20mm Q-Con brick that only offers an R rating of 2.342.

In conclusion, your builder has not done the maths! I believe his advice is incorrect. A double brick wall of 75mm bricks with a 50mm polystyrene sheet in between has an R rating more than 1.6 times higher than a single 20mm wall.

N.B. I am not an expert in this field, I have only analysed information from the Internet. Check my findings and draw your own conclusions.
Hi Nomad, did you mean 200 mm v's 75 mm?

View attachment 40202

From the Q-Con handbook, 20mm bricks have a thermal efficiency of 2.342 against 1.079 for the 75mm brick. So 2 x 75 mm bricks would have a R rating of 2.158 against the 200mm brick's R rating of 2.342.

It follows, a double wall of 2 x 75mm Q-Con wall with a 50mm insert of polystyrene sheet would have a thermal efficiency or R rating of 2.158 + 1.32 = 3.478. This is significantly more than a single wall of 200mm Q-Con brick that only offers an R rating of 2.342.

In conclusion, your builder has not done the maths! I believe his advice is incorrect. A double brick wall of 75mm bricks with a 50mm polystyrene sheet in between has an R rating more than 1.6 times higher than a single 200mm wall.

You pay for the difference at exactly what cost...materials and additional labor manhours ?

Back