Air Conditioning Units (re: Isaan Homes)

Coffee

You chose a custom title
Looking at air conditioning a 40 M2 room with large glass front and 280cm ceiling. Thinking initially about 24,000 BTU. 20210210_145448.jpg
Which brand would you recommend and why ? Which store/ outlet would you recommend...or doesn't it make a difference ?
The room will have an overhead fan

Last edited:
Looking at air conditioning a 40 M2 room with large glass front and 280cm ceiling. Thinking initially about 24,000 BTU. View attachment 38375
Which brand would you recommend and why ? Which store/ outlet would you recommend...or doesn't it make a difference ?
We've had Toshiba A/C units since we built in 2008, no problems with them at all.
I will say, however, that we rarely use air conditioning at all...probably a dozen times total in the dozen or so years we've been here. We made our landscaping plan with the idea of shade for the home and that has worked out very well.
These are our units:

Attachments

• IMG_1338.JPG
    IMG_1338.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1342.JPG
    IMG_1342.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1339.JPG
    IMG_1339.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1344.JPG
    IMG_1344.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 10
Our living room is 33 M2, and an adjoining mancave of 9 m2, a total of 42 M3. The main living room has an 18,000 BTU unit (Samsung) while the mancave has a separate 9,000 BTU unit (Haier). Both are the newer Inverter technology, both work well. All the air conditioners in our house, 4 of them, are serviced and cleaned twice a year, the air filters are cleaned by myself every month or so.

For your room, I would be inclined to have 2 x 13,000 BTU units, inverter technology. Why? Four reasons: firstly, 2 air conditioners would provide built-in redundancy should one fail and need maintenance, secondly, 2 x 13,000 BTU units are about the same price as 1 x 24,000 BTU unit, thirdly, 2 units evenly spaced will help to circulate the air more evenly around the room and, finally, for much of the year, 1 x 24,000 BTU unit would be overkill. As with our living room/mancave, one unit and a fan will often provide the optimum cooling effect. During the very hot weather, both units are required, but during the cooler season, one or the other is usually enough. Your large glass-fronted wall is north facing and should not adversely affect your air conditioning requirements too much.

As @Rice has mentioned before, the internal workings of the air conditioners of different manufacturers use many common parts. Therefore, when it comes to choosing one particular make from another, there may be little to choose between them. We have known our air conditioning engineer for maybe 15 years, he has a successful business installing thousands of units a year, and is a likable chap too. He usually comes around to service our machines within 24 hours of receiving a call. He can offer professional advice, recommend the best buy for you, then buy and install said units. If you would like his number please drop me a P.M. Alternatively, I would recommend HomePro to buy and install.

Our living room is 33 M2, and an adjoining mancave of 9 m2, a total of 42 M3. The main living room has an 18,000 BTU unit (Samsung) while the mancave has a separate 9,000 BTU unit (Haier). Both are the newer Inverter technology, both work well. All the air conditioners in our house, 4 of them, are serviced and cleaned twice a year, the air filters are cleaned by myself every month or so.

For your room, I would be inclined to have 2 x 13,000 BTU units, inverter technology. Why? Four reasons: firstly, 2 air conditioners would provide built-in redundancy should one fail and need maintenance, secondly, 2 x 13,000 BTU units are about the same price as 1 x 24,000 BTU unit, thirdly, 2 units evenly spaced will help to circulate the air more evenly around the room and, finally, for much of the year, 1 x 24,000 BTU unit would be overkill. As with our living room/mancave, one unit and a fan will often provide the optimum cooling effect. During the very hot weather, both units are required, but during the cooler season, one or the other is usually enough. Your large glass-fronted wall is north facing and should not adversely affect your air conditioning requirements too much.

As @Rice has mentioned before, the internal workings of the air conditioners of different manufacturers use many common parts. Therefore, when it comes to choosing one particular make from another, there may be little to choose between them. We have known our air conditioning engineer for maybe 15 years, he has a successful business installing thousands of units a year, and is a likable chap too. He usually comes around to service our machines within 24 hours of receiving a call. He can offer professional advice, recommend the best buy for you, then buy and install said units. If you would like his number please drop me a P.M. Alternatively, I would recommend HomePro to buy and install.
Excellent advice there !! :):):)

Looking at air conditioning a 40 M2 room with large glass front and 280cm ceiling. Thinking initially about 24,000 BTU.

I have an 18,000 BTU in a bedroom of almost 60 cm which is adequate for me but I hate being cold! It's set at 26°C so only gets turned on at night about 3 or 4 months of the year.

[There's a guy here who has his set at 16°C so if that's your plan then you'll need something larger]

Last edited:
Of course not. :)
I'm not sure if that's a straight answer or not Coffee, but I will say that with our home we decided to use reflective foil in the attic space instead of insulating and have not had a downside that I can see. What kind of insulation do the rest of you suggest...blown-in or batt??...and does the cost get off-set by the savings?

Our PEA bill for power runs about 700-800 baht per month on average. How much does attic insulation cost here, approximately?

I'm not sure if that's a straight answer or not Coffee, but I will say that with our home we decided to use reflective foil in the attic space instead of insulating and have not had a downside that I can see. What kind of insulation do the rest of you suggest...blown-in or batt??...and does the cost get off-set by the savings?

Our PEA bill for power runs about 700-800 baht per month on average. How much does attic insulation cost here, approximately?

When we built I looked at the rolled fibreglass insulation but was put off when I was told that rats love it to make nests in it. I decided, like you, to use foil under the felt. We appear to have both made economical decisions as my average electric bill is not much more than yours.

I can't be sure but I believe the fibreglass was ฿2,500.00 per roll but I cannot remember the coverage. It was 21 years ago!

Looking at air conditioning a 40 M2 room with large glass front and 280cm ceiling. Thinking initially about 24,000 BTU. View attachment 38375
i have a buddy that owns a little shop in the town, popular with his Thai customers. He could supply all your electrical goods needs and probably do you a deal, not just for A/C but, fans, showers, etc., the rest of the electrical appliances you may be intending to install ?

one guy to deal with for installation, advice, or any issues that may arise

if you interested i can P.M. you his contact details.

Of course not. :)
For optimal energy efficiency, your home should be properly insulated from the roof down to its foundation. ... In finished attic rooms with or without dormer, insulate (2A) between the studs of "knee" walls, (2B) between the studs and rafters of exterior walls and roof, (2C) and ceilings with cold spaces above.

The first way insulating material cools a home is by not letting it get too hot in the first place. ... However, insulating the attic also prevents cool air from escaping because it reduces the movement of air, also called convection. Overall, the average home can save 10 percent on cooling by insulating the attic

@gotlost:
Let me straight up apologize for my post, you did not deserve any of it. Unfortunately there are a few issues currently affecting me that have made me react in wrong ways to many things, none of which are related to this forum.

I am sincerely sorry for my post, and wish there was a way to retract it or otherwise make it go away, but there's not.
Sorry....

@gotlost:
Let me straight up apologize for my post, you did not deserve any of it. Unfortunately there are a few issues currently affecting me that have made me react in wrong ways to many things, none of which are related to this forum.

I am sincerely sorry for my post, and wish there was a way to retract it or otherwise make it go away, but there's not.
Sorry....
i hope things get better for you soon Mario, if there is any way i can aid you, please feel free to reach out. take care.

@gotlost:

Sorry....
The report button does that.

@gotlost:

Sorry....
Now deleted

Back