Anubarnsurin Junior School

nomad97

Resident Geek
Just heard that the Director of the school has stated that they were placed 3rd out of the 77 Chanwats (provinces) for the recent ONET exams. A very good educational facility in Surin and my daughters love the school. Well done Anubarnsurin!

I have not seen the ONET results in writing so I am taking this at face value until I do. However, I would not be at all surprised if this is confirmed before too long.

Nomad, what is the minimum age for acceptance to the school and a rough fee estimate. My daughter is 6 and is in Primary year 1 at our village school. She is a tad brighter that her classmates.

Nomad will no doubt give you the details, Wombat, but I believe it is very difficult indeed to get a place at Anubarnsurin if you live outside the Muang Surin boundary. I am not sure where you are based but your mention of your village school made me alert you.

Wombat, a little about the school. My eldest daughter had 5 years in the private Catholic School on the ring road. The younger daughter had a couple of years in kindergarten. They have since built new classrooms which look very good. Both girls are now at Anubarnsurin, my eldest (11) in Year 5 and my youngest (7) in Year 2, both in their 4th year at the school. Average class size around 45 to 48 pupils per class and 10 classes in each year. Discipline in Anubarnsurin is quite strict and the cane is used for various offences including unruly behavior, missed homework etc, etc. Also, my eldest tells me that the latest punishment in her class is to clean the class after school each day for one month, with mop and bucket. Notwithstanding the discipline and the class size my girls love the school to bits and have never wanted to return to the private school.

School fees. It is a Government School and there is a one off yearly fee before the start of the school year of around 8,000 baht/child. There is nothing more to pay during the school year. Free school meals are provided every lunchtime.

Eligibility. As far as I understand all children within the city are eligible to go to Anubarnsurin although that does not seem to be an automatic guarantee. There are several state schools in Surin and many kids/parents choose some of the other schools. Anubarnsurin is regarded by some as being a posh school with well to do parents. Some children may have to wait several years before they are accepted. This year, for the first time, I understand 90 places were available for children from outside the city of Surin. They have to pass an entrance examination. Also, it does help if someone in the extended family is a 'big noodle', an uncle or grandfather for example, someone who has held or holds an influential position within the Government sector. In your case Wombat, this is the preferred way of gaining entry to Anubarnsurin for your daughter.

Additional Info. Kindergarten 1 accepts children who have turned 4 years old by the beginning of the school year (16th May). Kindergarten 2 - 5 years old, Year 1 - 6 years old, Year 2 - 7 years old and so on. My eldest daughter completed Year 2 at the private school and missed joining Year 3 in Anubarnsurin by 45 minutes - her birthday is 17th May. Another boy was 2 hours past the deadline and he too was refused. They do not make any exceptions to this rule, even if you have a 'big noodle' backing your child.

Time to apply. SWMBO advises that the best time is to ask is around the end of the year. Its quite probable that applications are required during February, before the end of the school year in March. You are on your own on this one.

P.S. Good luck to you and your daughter. It's certainly worth the effort if you can get your daughter enrolled.

Last edited:
Wombat, a little about the school. My eldest daughter had 5 years in the private Catholic School on the ring road. The younger daughter had a couple of years in kindergarten. They have since built new classrooms which look very good. Both girls are now at Anubarnsurin, my eldest (11) in Year 5 and my youngest (7) in Year 2, both in their 4th year at the school. Average class size around 45 to 48 pupils per class and 10 classes in each year. Discipline in Anubarnsurin is quite strict and the cane is used for various offences including unruly behavior, missed homework etc, etc. Also, my eldest tells me that the latest punishment in her class is to clean the class after school each day for one month, with mop and bucket. Notwithstanding the discipline and the class size my girls love the school to bits and have never wanted to return to the private school.

School fees. It is a Government School and there is a one off yearly fee before the start of the school year of around 8,000 baht/child. There is nothing more to pay during the school year. Free school meals are provided every lunchtime.

Eligibility. As far as I understand all children within the city are eligible to go to Anubarnsurin although that does not seem to be an automatic guarantee. There are several state schools in Surin and many kids/parents choose some of the other schools. Anubarnsurin is regarded by some as being a posh school with well to do parents. Some children may have to wait several years before they are accepted. This year, for the first time, I understand 90 places were available for children from outside the city of Surin. They have to pass an entrance examination. Also, it does help if someone in the extended family is a 'big noodle', an uncle or grandfather for example, someone who has held or holds an influential position within the Government sector. In your case Wombat, this is the preferred way of gaining entry to Anubarnsurin for your daughter.

Additional Info. Kindergarten 1 accepts children who have turned 4 years old by the beginning of the school year (16th May). Kindergarten 2 - 5 years old, Year 1 - 6 years old, Year 2 - 7 years old and so on. My eldest daughter completed Year 2 at the private school and missed joining Year 3 in Anubarnsurin by 45 minutes - her birthday is 17th May. Another boy was 2 hours past the deadline and he too was refused. They do not make any exceptions to this rule, even if you have a 'big noodle' backing your child.

Time to apply. SWMBO advises that the best time is to ask is around the end of the year. Its quite probable that applications are required during February, before the end of the school year in March. You are on your own on this one.

P.S. Good luck to you and your daughter. It's certainly worth the effort if you can get your daughter enrolled.

Thanks Nomad. We have considered the catholic school and my wife really wants her to go there, unfortunately I have an aversion to anything connected to the Catholic Church and most church run organisations. Was it ok? We probably would not qualify at your daughter's school.

We will consider our options through this school year.

Just heard that the Director of the school has stated that they were placed 3rd out of the 77 Chanwats (provinces) for the recent ONET exams. A very good educational facility in Surin and my daughters love the school. Well done Anubarnsurin!
I heard about this IMO it's a load of bull ,
it's all about money and cooking the numbers to get better school grades .
The Chinese school was neck to neck 0.4 point diffrence are they have not said they are in these statts .
Anubarn school has to many kids in each class up to 60 to A class and a lot of children often get hit by the teachers .
BUT as for Surin there is not much better , the Chinese school was better and half the amount of kids in each class room but now that might Change as they are doing less English .
E.P has been dropped .

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

I heard about this IMO it's a load of bull ,
it's all about money and cooking the numbers to get better school grades .
The Chinese school was neck to neck 0.4 point diffrence are they have not said they are in these statts .
Anubarn school has to many kids in each class up to 60 to A class and a lot of children often get hit by the teachers .
BUT as for Surin there is not much better , the Chinese school was better and half the amount of kids in each class room but now that might Change as they are doing less English .
E.P has been dropped .

Correction Alan, the average class size is less than 50, not 60 as stated by you. I know that for fact, my kids have been there for the past 3 years, now in their 4th year at the school. As for discipline, yes, kids are often smacked with a cane or ruler by the teachers. Don't deny that. If you don't want your children 'disciplined' by the teachers do not send them to this school. That said, its usually the children who run riot in class, turn up late or do not hand in their homework that are on the receiving end of the 'discipline'. In nearly 3 1/2 years my two daughters have only been 'disciplined' once. Finally, when the ONET exams are taken the school brings in external adjudicators (teachers) to monitor the exams. I am quite sure the results are not fiddled or manipulated as suggested by you.

Correction Alan, the average class size is less than 50, not 60 as stated by you. I know that for fact, my kids have been there for the past 3 years, now in their 4th year at the school. As for discipline, yes, kids are often smacked with a cane or ruler by the teachers. Don't deny that. If you don't want your children 'disciplined' by the teachers do not send them to this school. That said, its usually the children who run riot in class, turn up late or do not hand in their homework that are on the receiving end of the 'discipline'. In nearly 3 1/2 years my two daughters have only been 'disciplined' once. Finally, when the ONET exams are taken the school brings in external adjudicators (teachers) to monitor the exams. I am quite sure the results are not fiddled or manipulated as suggested by you.
That's not what the Surin teachers are saying mate .

Check again Alan, I have it on good authority that what nomad says is correct.

Ask those teachers to confirm whether all ONET exams are checked and marked by government officials and not the teachers at schools. The marks are then sent to the schools and published nationally. The schools know nothing about the grade until they are finalised.

I have had my son at the Chinese school for the past 4 years; EP P2. He just turned 8. He has always spoken English, from the time he was old enough to speak that is, as well as Thai, but still needs to learn the finer points of both languages.

They may have discontinued the EP for the upper levels but it is still being offered for the lower pratoms. He has always enjoyed the school, teachers, and his friends, so that is where he will stay until secondary. I personally like the class sizes (21-22 to per class).

Both Anubarnsurin and Vanichnukul have good reputations. After teaching at Sirindhorn EP for 8 years prior this year, IMO (including myself) most parents pay for facilities for their kids. I often felt during my 8 years there, that SME offered a much better program than EP at 1/2 the price.

And as far as getting into these schools? If you have some tea money and know your way around the system, you're in. Sirindhorn is ranked the highest secondary school in the province and kids come as far as Bochet, although, the school is a Govt. school that is supposed to be reserved for kids who live in the city.

These ONETs are a total waste IMO. The test is littered with errors and is written by Thais for Thais. and yes, scores have been known to be manipulated but TIT.

Last edited:
My daughters are enrolled in the EIS (English Intergrated Studies) at Anubarnsurin, not the full EP (English Programme). I guess EIS is the same as SME at Sirindhorn. We were advised by a teacher when we went to enroll our daughters that the EIS programme was very good and much better value for money. Especially given that my daughters had an English parent and English was spoken in the home. Neither daughter goes to or takes 'extra learning' classes after school or at weekends. The EP facility at Anubarnsurin is now a purpose built, air conditioned block (just opened) but that will set you back some 34,000 baht/year. You pays your money and you takes your choice.

One good thing about Anubarnsurin, I am told, is that it is a feeder school for Sirindhorn. Sirindhorn monitors the educational progress of the children in Years 5 and 6 and, provided they meet the required educational standards, they are accepted into Sirindhorn without any fuss. This falls into my game plan that both daughters will head into the Sirindhorn SME programme when they finish at Anubarnsurin. My wife is very opposed to them going into the EP at Sirindhorn.

Last edited:

My daughters are at the school and have been for the past 3 1/2 years. My wife is on the parents/teachers panel for both Year 2 and Year 5. I tell it as it is. "There's none so blind as those who will not see." Believe what you want to believe Alan.

Sirindhorn's EP will set you back 70,000 per year. Some parents don't mind paying extra per year for facilities but that does not mean the education is better or worse. EP is a full immersion program, so some kids benefit more than others.

As far as extra learning classes, they are just money makers and most are unnecessary. I remember one of my son's teachers asked if I would want to enroll him in extra classes on the weekend. Think it was one of her family members who owned the school. My response was that my son is in the top 3 of his class, lowest subject being "Art" which he still gets in the 90's. I politely but firmly declined. I want my son to have fun on the weekend.

These "learning centers"are all over Asia and "extra classes" are ingrained in Asian culture. Most kids don't need them.

Last edited:
Sirindhorn's EP will set you back 70,000 per year. Some parents don't mind paying extra per year for facilities but that does not mean the education is better or worse. EP is a full immersion program, so some kids benefit more than others.

As far as extra learning classes, they are just money makers and most are unnecessary. I remember one of my son's teachers asked if I would want to enroll him in extra classes on the weekend. Think it was one of her family members who owned the school. My response was that my son is in the top 3 of his class, lowest subject being "Art" which he still gets in the 90's. I politely but firmly declined. I want my son to have fun on the weekend.

These "learning centers"are all over Asia and "extra classes" are ingrained in Asian culture. Most kids don't need them.
And do beleve these statts Westofhere 3rd out out Thailand's 77 provinces ?
most kids in Anubarn cannot speak English more than a few words .
Thailand corruption again !

And do beleve these statts Westofhere 3rd out out Thailand's 77 provinces ?
most kids in Anubarn cannot speak English more than a few words .
Thailand corruption again !

I understand chanwats to mean districts or provinces within Surin. As I said, I wait to see the published word with interest. I am only going on reported speech at this time.

I understand chanwats to mean districts or provinces within Surin. As I said, I wait to see the published word with interest. I am only going on reported speech at this time.

A Changwat is in fact a province of which Surin is one of 76.

http://www.thaiwebsites.com/Provinces/

Surin has 17 amphurs:-

The province is subdivided into 17 districts (amphoe). The districts are further subdivided into 158 subdistricts (tambon) and 2011 villages (muban).

1. Mueang Surin
  2. Chumphon Buri
  3. Tha Tum
  4. Chom Phra
  5. Prasat
  6. Kap Choeng
  7. Rattanaburi
  8. Sanom
  9. Sikhoraphum
  1. Sangkha
  2. Lamduan
  3. Samrong Thap