Anubarnsurin Junior School

One good thing about Anubarnsurin, I am told, is that it is a feeder school for Sirindhorn. Sirindhorn monitors the educational progress of the children in Years 5 and 6 and, provided they meet the required educational standards, they are accepted into Sirindhorn without any fuss. This falls into my game plan that both daughters will head into the Sirindhorn SME programme when they finish at Anubarnsurin. My wife is very opposed to them going into the EP at Sirindhorn.

I'm sure your daughters wont have problems getting into any of the specialty programs at Sirindhorn Nomad, given the fact that they grew up with a native speaking father, and are currently enrolled and doing well in their specialty program at Anubarnsurin.

Aside from EP and SME, Sirindhorn also offers AP (Advanced Program) and ILP (International Language Program). As far as Anubarnsurin being a "feeder school" and having an advantage over other schools? The fact is, all kids who apply need to pass the entrance exams, and they are not easy if one doesn't have prior English skills. For many years, I was one of the teachers who tested and evaluated new prospects for M1 EP, and although many kids pass and get accepted from AS, an equal test in from Vanichnukul based on the per capita ratio (AS having many more students than Vanichnukul), EP, SME, and AP. A fair number pass, and are accepted from Muangsurin, as well as schools from the surrounding districts.

Most kids will take the tests for SME, EP, AP, and some ILP (ILP being the least popular among the four) on the same day, and depending which ones they pass, they will be considered at that point. The students with the highest grades get through. The competition is very high, given the fact that these programs can only accept a certain amount of kids, which is quite low considering all of the M1s who apply. Reason being is that the MOE matches each students tuition, giving these programs more bank. Students that are accepted hold that slot until M3. Unfortunately, many kids who apply cannot test in.

If Sirindhorn isn't your district school, you cannot "test into" the regular program as there is no test, thus it's back to their district, unless of course you can rub a few shoulders or are in the know.

Keep in mind that students need to retest come M3 to continue on to M4-M6, thus starting the process over again. Any kid from any district can apply and sit for the test at that point. The competition this time around is even more fierce, as many students start to understand the value of getting into or keeping their place in a specialty program, giving them an advantage when they are being considered for acceptance to a good Uni. MANY students who started in EP, SME, etc. from M1-m3 are dropped, usually because they could not keep up with the program to begin with, and cannot pass the M4-M6 entrance tests. The only plus is that they will be accepted into the regular program so they can graduate.

Last edited:
I'm sure your daughters wont have problems getting into any of the specialty programs at Sirindhorn Nomad, given the fact that they grew up with a native speaking father, and are currently enrolled in a specialty program at Anubarnsurin.

Aside from EP and SME, Sirindhorn also offers AP (Advanced Program) and ILP (International Language Program). As far as Anubarnsurin being a "feeder school" and having an advantage over other schools? The fact is, all kids who apply need to pass the entrance exams, and they are not easy if one doesn't have prior English skills. For many years, I was one of the teachers who tested and evaluated new prospects for M1 EP, and although many kids pass and get accepted from AS, an equal test in from Vanichnukul based on the per capita ratio (AS having many more students than Vanichnukul), EP, SME, and AP. A fair number pass, and are accepted from Muangsurin, as well as schools from the surrounding districts.

Most kids will take the tests for SME, EP, AP, and some ILP (ILP being the least popular among the four) on the same day, and depending which ones they pass, they will be considered at that point. The students with the highest grades get through. The competition is very high, given the fact that these programs can only accept a certain amount of kids, which is quite low considering all of the M1s who apply. Reason being is that the MOE matches each students tuition, giving these programs more bank. Students that are accepted hold that slot until M3. Unfortunately, many kids who apply cannot test in.

If Sirindhorn isn't your district school, you cannot "test into" the regular program as there is no test, thus it's back to their district, unless of course you can rub a few shoulders or are in the know.

Keep in mind that students need to retest come M3 to continue on to M4-M6, thus starting the process over again. Any kid from any district can apply and sit for the test at that point. The competition this time around is even more fierce, as many students start to understand the value of getting into or keeping their place in a specialty program, giving them an advantage when they are being considered for acceptance to a good Uni. MANY students who started in EP, SME, etc. from M1-m3 are dropped, usually because they could not keep up with the program to begin with, and cannot pass the M4-M6 entrance tests. The only plus is that they will be accepted into the regular program so they can graduate.

As you will know Patrick, my daughter was in the EP at Sirindhorn, and having recently been excepted at Thamassat University, she only has good things to say about her five years there. (Apart from the fact that when she entered the school she had to have her hair cut short !!)
Obviously we have no comparison to make, but am sure that if she had the choice again, she would want to be at Sirindhorn, and I know she treasures those five years.

Thank you Westofhere for a very detailed and informative piece on the entry requirements to Sirindhorn. I was going to seek you out for some advice next year when my eldest daughter is in Year 6. I agree also with your views on extra learning.

Feel free to PM anytime Nomad. Will help out where or when ever I can. Goes for the rest on here too. Been out of the loop for a bit, but still can throw a few around me thinks. :)

And for the rest of you who may live out in the sticks? The last director I worked under at Sirindhorn was a Pyhs-ed teacher (go figure :)) for 20+ years in Chom Pra. The assistant director, was a director of school in Ta Tum. (I believe). They had always been big advocates for kids from the districts, getting accepted into Sirindhorn, so if your kid is interested in going there, at least give it a go. About 25% of the students in the specialty programs come from the districts of Surin.

Last edited:
I have only just picked up on this thread. I thought ALL corporal punishment was illegal in Thai schools.....(Not that I am against it -serves its purpose for unruly kids)

I have only just picked up on this thread. I thought ALL corporal punishment was illegal in Thai schools.....(Not that I am against it -serves its purpose for unruly kids)
555, 555, 555! My eldest daughter tells me the latest punishment in Year 5 is to mop out the class each day after school hours for one complete month. As of today, 5 kids in her class are 'doing time'. Pretty good punishment I think.

I am against it totally sorry guys .My son Paul came home once from the Chinese school with red lines across his back , after a while I got it out of him what it was , his home work was late .
Mr mental man now comes out in me , if any of you guys had met Paul my youngest the chubby one has sooooo sweet and wouldent hurt a fly .
I whent nuts at the teacher who did it and the head mistress , I had the back up off about 5 other mum's who's kids were being hit , we managed to put it to a stop --- for a while with our kids anyway .
We threatened them with lawyers and to take action ..My blood was boiling , I think it's stupid you can't beat sence into kids , God knows they tried it with me lol lol .... And I still can't spell So that proved that :)
I have told my kids now if this happens again you give your phone to the teacher to ask my first , and I will pop over to sort things out .

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

Brace yourself AtB, the headmaster is coming..............................

iu

Many times when I was a kid .
More in the Catholic school .
And a size 9 pump off the gym teacher lol lol

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

Back