APPLY FOR NOTIFICATION OF STAYING IN THE KINGDOM

If you are paying 100bt for the letter, surely it should be presented as requested

Many years ago, I was required to use the balances from two accounts to verify my ฿800,000.00. I was told by the Kasikorn representative that this would require two bank letters. I told her that she could put the balances of both accounts on the same letter. She wouldn't have this but I wasn't going to back down (as has been said previously, I pay the staff's wages). The manager observed that there was a problem and came to investigate. When told my requirement, he told the girl that of course she could include both accounts on one letter, just do it.

That girl made a point of avoiding making eye contact with me whenever I subsequently went to the bank. She's probably a branch manager now somewhere.

Odd that it only appears to be you that is affected by this.

Did SWMBO not challenge them?

I will go back and check my Kasikorn bank letter ( which I am 99% certain only quotes Baht.
I think the root cause was total incompetence by the bank employee. Perhaps she had never produced a letter before. She had to make a telephone call to another employee, in the bank in Robinson's, to get instructions. I am quite sure my wife was not as supportive of what I wanted and actually told me to be quiet. I pointed out to both of them that I did not want £ Sterling, I wanted the balance in Thai Baht. That was when I was told to be quiet. Clearly, the bank employee was getting flustered and embarrassed by my comments. Unfortunately, my wife will no longer discuss the issue with given that I told her it was her fault for supporting the bank employee and not listening to me. The air turned blue in the car on the way to Immigration!

When the festive season has passed, when I feel able to walk into a bank on crutches by myself, I will go to another bank and ask for such a letter and see what I get. However, I am pretty sure it was incompetence by the bank employee. She most definitely understood what I wanted but, for reason known only to her, she was not going to give it to me. It was a balance in £ Sterling or stuff it. 100 baht, please!

@nomad97 I understand completely what you are saying. I have had the same problem in the Krung Thai Bank. The Bank program they use to produce the letter will only work on converting Thai Baht into a foreign currency. Anything but Thai Baht. I have a question about your story. You say your wife went back to the bank and topped up your account to the correct amount. Where did that money come from.? . . . . . and why was that not used in the first place for the Immi fee and letter fee. Hmm sounds like a Thai thing going on. :)

The initial problem was that the ATM outside the bank was "Out of Service". I had intended to make a withdrawal, update the bank book, and get a letter. However, the bank cashier called me over, sat me down (I was on sticks) to start processing the letter before I had obtained any cash. She also wanted 100 baht for the letter and my wallet was empty. I made out a withdraw slip for 400 baht. She cashed the slip for me, with my bank book, and made out the letter. She then saw I had made another withdraw slip as I needed money for Immigration and other things. The girl also cashed that and gave me the money. I was unaware the bank book had been updated again. Unfortunately, she had made out the letter with the first withdrawal balance, not the second. So I had the money in my pocket, not spent, to give to my wife to top up the balance back to what it was. She withdrew 2,000 baht from her account to be ready to pay Immigration.

Thanks for the information about the bank program being able to produce a letter only when converting Thai Baht into a foreign currency. I guess I was told that at the time but thought, how stupid, must be an operator error. Silly me!

Thanks for the information about the bank program being able to produce a letter only when converting Thai Baht into a foreign currency. I guess I was told that at the time but thought, how stupid, must be an operator error. Silly me!
555 Yes I have most certainly been there. Unwilling to accept the fact that you are just not married unless you can produce your decorative Kor Ror 3. All the computer records and actual registry entry from where you were married just will not do. Did anyone also know, that a divorce is impossible without the 2 x Kor Ror 3. if they got destroyed somehow. You are screwed !

555 Yes I have most certainly been there. Unwilling to accept the fact that you are just not married unless you can produce your decorative Kor Ror 3. All the computer records and actual registry entry from where you were married just will not do. Did anyone also know, that a divorce is impossible without the 2 x Kor Ror 3. if they got destroyed somehow. You are screwed !

All perfectly true.....but spare a thought for us unmarried chaps - we have even lower status.

True, you do have lower status. Never really worked that one out. Some culturaly sensitive family sense, I think.
Doesn't really matter here in Thailand. The general consensus is that you are "married" if you cohabit with someone (even for short periods) despite not having registered a marriage. Better though if you have had a "Wedding Day" and displayed an obscene dowry.

Doesn't really matter here in Thailand. The general consensus is that you are "married" if you cohabit with someone (even for short periods) despite not having registered a marriage. Better though if you have had a "Wedding Day" and displayed an obscene dowry.
Not if you are applying for a one-year extension based on being married. I sat and watched for nearly an hour, chuckling away, while some attractive Thai lady and her farang boyfriend tried to convince/haggle with the Immigration Officer that they were legally married. They had photos of the happy event, they had stories to tell, they had a dowry, and a house but all to no avail. The Officer was not convinced. A village wedding is a village wedding and does not count in the eyes of the Immigration Service. Your new husband will have to leave Thailand and return with a new visa. :) :) :)

Not if you are applying for a one-year extension based on being married. I sat and watched for nearly an hour, chuckling away, while some attractive Thai lady and her farang boyfriend tried to convince/haggle with the Immigration Officer that they were legally married. They had photos of the happy event, they had stories to tell, they had a dowry, and a house but all to no avail. The Officer was not convinced. A village wedding is a village wedding and does not count in the eyes of the Immigration Service. Your new husband will have to leave Thailand and return with a new visa. :) :) :)

Not that my extension is based upon marriage but we do not have photos of the happy event nor the pish up afterwards nor evidence of a dowry (obviously there wasn't one) just the Kor Ror 3.

As I've stated previously, when reporting 90 days in Surin I always take a completed TM47 with me but cannot remember when I was last asked for it. I've not been asked to sign any documents when applying in person for the last 4 years (about 4 times when the on-line facility was down).
It's the exact opposite for me in SSK, Y .
Not correct.I got divorced with one Kor Ror 3 missing and the Amphur staff sent me to the local police station to get a report saying that its lost.
Job Done and I've been divorced (single) for 10 years now (and a certificate to prove it.).

....ever the romantic Yorky.. :laughing:
Tomorrow is the anniversary of our "Registry of Marriage", done now 15 years ago in Samut Prakan where we were living at the time. Her father and other family lived in Thungmon...near Prasat...so we went there for a "Thai Marriage" on January 2, 2007. I was still working then, so I returned to the States for that, but Noy and I were married for a third time on October 13, 2007, in Vancouver, Washington.
That adds up to three anniversaries that I have to remember and celebrate. Lucky her memory is perfect, I could slip up and forget without her...

It's the exact opposite for me in SSK, Y .

Not correct.I got divorced with one Kor Ror 3 missing and the Amphur staff sent me to the local police station to get a report saying that its lost.
Job Done and I've been divorced (single) for 10 years now (and a certificate to prove it.).

...I assumed that you had been certified Ivor.. :laughing:

My last marriage was purely for financial reasons. My Company pension only paid widows pensions at the time, and not a pension for a partner. Similarly the UK state pension did not pay any bereavement benefits unless one was legally married. We did not wish to get married-saw no reason to other than the above. We were quite happy with 1 son and an anticipated daughter. Just a visit to the amphur some 20 years ago, sign some papers, and a meal in the evening with our son. Mother in law was invited but declined.

Been together 23 years and we celebrate the September day we met in 1998!

Tomorrow is the anniversary of our "Registry of Marriage", done now 15 years ago in Samut Prakan where we were living at the time. Her father and other family lived in Thungmon...near Prasat...so we went there for a "Thai Marriage" on January 2, 2007. I was still working then, so I returned to the States for that, but Noy and I were married for a third time on October 13, 2007, in Vancouver, Washington.
That adds up to three anniversaries that I have to remember and celebrate. Lucky her memory is perfect, I could slip up and forget without her...

That is lovely Mario, if perhaps a little excessive. A Thai marriage and a Thai wedding I can understand.

Was there a particular reason for USA process?

Interesting to me that someone can marry the same person twice (without divorcing in between). In the States do you not have to confirm that you are not already married?

Obviously the Thai marriage is internationally legal so any further ceremony is unnecessary......a celebration/"wedding party" (like Thailand) in a home country, of course.

My last marriage was purely for financial reasons. My Company pension only paid widows pensions at the time, and not a pension for a partner. Similarly the UK state pension did not pay any bereavement benefits unless one was legally married. We did not wish to get married-saw no reason to other than the above. We were quite happy with 1 son and an anticipated daughter. Just a visit to the amphur some 20 years ago, sign some papers, and a meal in the evening with our son. Mother in law was invited but declined.

Been together 23 years and we celebrate the September day we met in 1998!

Might makes sense for some to marry in order to cut the "seasoning monies" for Immigration in half too.

Personally I haven't met too many PRs in the same boat as you, Nick.

Might makes sense for some to marry in order to cut the "seasoning monies" for Immigration in half too.

Personally I haven't met too many PRs in the same boat as you, Nick.

I would imagine that the percentage of Farangs marrying for Immigration benefits might just exceed those marrying for love......

Not sure, but the act of marriage may just have saved Nick a fair bit of money in his first Thai marriage - or the ensuing divorce to be more precise.

Back