Apsara French restaurant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well they’d have to take me in a canvas bag ... I do appreciate my needs are a tad different to most

I gather then that my unreliable source is incorrect and research and canvasing were carried out. Any idea of the findings?

They have been considering it for a long time, planning and thinking on it, asking people if it would be something they'd like and would patronize if it were there, and I would imagine Francois and his lady Pat have a good idea of if it will work or not (All business ventures here are a gamble really). It's their money to use as they wish really. Why? Do you want to become a silent investor? :) I gather through talking to Francois they believe they will get a good business from the Surin and surrounding area Thai upper middle class and upper class, some Surin farangs that would like something like this, tourists and such coming through, etc. Whether it will go over remains to be seen. It's a gamble they are willing to take. Good luck to them.

I'm wondering if he will put some of his Beach foods on the menu as well. He does a good burger, great curries and other dishes, a decent steak, etc. Maybe I'll ask if I see him later tonight.

Obviously insufficient people thought so. Surin is, and will never be, Bangkok.

(I see no-one has taken up Atb's suggestion of an up-market steak bar yet).

Well, Yachtspray started a steak house that I think would have gone over well. But then he was screwed by the Thai owners of the building he was in. Royally from what I was told, after sinking a lot of baht in the building. I was told he had no lease at all, was just renting by the month, and they basically kicked him out after he did the renovations and took it over for family to use. There is the Thai owned and operated White House Steak House. I haven't heard much about it really. Thais have a different take on what a steak is.

Francois does a great steak at The Beach many like and rave about.

In my opinion no farang place (sit down actual restaurant) will do well without catering to the Thais and having a lot of them patronize the restaurant. There are not enough westerners here who will support a place solely on/with farang custom, not consistently year round. At least not with all the competition for the small amount of customers available. And, from what I have seen over the years, the more farangs using a place the less likely most Thais will use the place. Especially Thai families, who do order a lot of foods if they like a place and feel comfortable - meaning they will not patronize places where there are a lot of farangs sitting about drinking a lot and swearing up a storm and ogling the women, talking drunken shit, loudly, and being disrespectful, loud and obnoxious. It just doesn't mix well, and the Thais have plenty of their own places to go to where there are not a lot of farangs hanging about. And I'll add, how many western places here sell very good Thai foods, hell, even have an actual Thai menu besides a few token dishes, that will attract Thais to their place?

The farang places that can/could do well are actually pubs. Bars that sell decent pub food and inexpensive booze, usually catering to a certain ex pat community serving an ethnic based menu (British grub, German food, Scandi foods, etc.). And cheap Thai beers. With a pool table or two. They are not restaurants where one would usually bring their family. And some combine being a restaurant/pub with certain ethnic foods and drink with selling particular wanted western items/foods people can't find (or couldn't find in earlier times here) in the local stores [as Martin and Norby did], and services for their customers like motocyke rentals, car rentals, mini van service, apartment rentals, etc. And as said there is too much competition in the farang market these days, with most not lasting long due to that as well, or just surviving.

Also many will start a place here, yet do not have sufficient funds to keep it going for at least 2 years until (and IF) it becomes established and profitable. And in the end they fail as they cannot keep it going financially while building/trying to build their customer base to its full potential.

Just my take on it from experience and from my observations over the years here.

*In my opinion the western place that is doing well, and will continue to do well, is the newer AA Fantasy pub on Soi Cola. Arve has done a good job of it in Norby's nicely done over old place. It has everything a pub needs: decent foods, pool tables, even a Foozball table, a dart board/lane, big screen TV out front, seating inside and out, a decent bar and beers and drinks, all at good prices, a good amount of customers daily, and a personable and friendly owner and with good staff.

You’ve go me thinking now. Me, 3.5 years in Surin City and I’ve got no idea where Soi kola is

As for high end type farang fooderies I must confess I’m unconvinced

Hell, Eanto, you live right around the corner from Bamboozled and you can't even find that. LOL Try getting out some and you'll find there's a lot here to patronize and enjoy occasionally. But having a young child does limit what one can do.

P.S. Do you know where the Thong Tarin Hotel is? Soi Cola is next to that hotel. Where the Speed 3 Discotheque is. A block away walk from the bus depot.

Last edited:
Hell, Eanto, you live right around the corner from Bamboozled and you can't even find that. LOL Try getting out some and you'll find there's a lot here to patronize and enjoy occasionally. But having a young child does limit what one can do.

P.S. Do you know where the Thong Tarin Hotel is? Soi Cola is next to that hotel. Where the Speed 3 Discotheque is. A block away walk from the bus depot.

You’re totally on cue. 100 per (cent) 55. Yes my little ‘un does all consume me as he’s got a lot of years on me. But they say it keeps you young? I’m yet to be convinced.

I know the bus station, obviously, and I’ve stayed in the big hotel next door but alas, I’m still oblivious

Even here in sin city, the amount of farang resturants that come and go is staggering. We try to eat out every week however, even with the wide choice
it is very hard to get quality and value.
I do not understand what people are thinking when they decide to open an eatery.

Even here in sin city, the amount of farang resturants that come and go is staggering. We try to eat out every week however, even with the wide choice
it is very hard to get quality and value.
I do not understand what people are thinking when they decide to open an eatery.

Pattaya?

You’re totally on cue. 100 per (cent) 55. Yes my little ‘un does all consume me as he’s got a lot of years on me. But they say it keeps you young? I’m yet to be convinced.

I know the bus station, obviously, and I’ve stayed in the big hotel next door but alas, I’m still oblivious

Eanto,

Go to the bus station. Facing it with the 'big hotel' (Majestic Hotel) on your left you'll see a street on your right. Go up that street (you will pass the Aussie Sports Bar which will be on the left), at the end of this road you take a left. You will see a 7-11. That 7-11 is directly across the street from the Thong Tarin Hotel. [They have a nice open air beer garden in front of the hotel with Thai foods and drink and with live music most nights. It's not expensive at all. Your wife would love it.] As you pass the 7-11 and Thong Tarin hotel you will see the next soi on the same side as the hotel has the Speed 3 Disco. That soi is Soi Cola. AA Fantasy pub is there across from Speed, and The Watering Hole owned by Aussie Lee, and next to Lee's is The Beach bar.

Further down the soi cola/speed, same side as all these bars/pubs, you will see 'Celebrate' a nice Thai restaurant that has been there for years. Another place I would bet your wife would love to eat in. Prices are reasonable, food is good, they have a bakery there with lots of goodies your boy would love - cookies, cakes and such, it has air con too. Next door to Celebrate is where Francois and Pat's new French restaurant will be opening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back