Apsara French restaurant

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the food hadn't been discounted, what would the total bill have been? Bht 4,000.00?

(More than 20% of my monthly OAP).

No, nothing like that much. Putting it the other way around Yorky, the food cost just 797 Bht. Without the discount it would still have been a very reasonable 1,594Bht, considering the quality of the food, the excellent cooking, and the comfortable surroundings. The drinks came to a total of 1,970 Bht. Had we stuck with beer instead of ordering wines and spirits, the drinks would have cost little - if any - more than anywhere else in Surin.

No, nothing like that much. Putting it the other way around Yorky, the food cost just 797 Bht. Without the discount it would still have been a very reasonable 1,594Bht, considering the quality of the food, the excellent cooking, and the comfortable surroundings.

It's still Bht 3,500 on normal days.

Were you both full at the end of the evening? (Not full of booze).

It's still Bht 3,500 on normal days.

Were you both full at the end of the evening? (Not full of booze).

Sorry Yorky but no - the total food cost was 797 Baht for the two of us. That would be 1,594 Baht on normal days, as we might not have the G&Ts, wines (a glass of one and a bottle of another) and the brandy.
Yes - we were both comfortably full too, and not on booze either.

Last edited:
I can imagine the bread was welcomed. Reminds me of Bake ‘n Brew in Pattaya where you help yourself to a complimentary array of assorted breads and buns. Perfect with the English brekkie

We also went to Aspara's opening night.
I can second Merlin's review in that we also enjoyed our food (and Merlin and his lady's company)
It is expensive for Surin but it serves up food you won't find in or near Surin.
You have to put the price in perspective, some of us like our alcohol intake daily which over a month I'm sure adds up to way more than a meal at Aspara, me I like an evening at a nice restaurant which is even better with friends who appreciate similar.
I suspect for us it will become our monthly treat and I really hope it has the success it deserves.

Sorry Yorky but no - the total food cost was 797 Baht for the two of us. That would be 1,594 Baht on normal days, as we might not have the G&Ts, wines (a glass of one and a bottle of another) and the brandy.
Yes - we were both comfortably full too, and not on booze either.

Bht 1,594.00 plus Bht 1,970.00 to me adds up to c. Bht 3,500.00. A little beyond my "eating out budget".

1,594 baht plus an Archa wouldn't add up to 3,500. At least I hope it wouldn’t

Bht 1,594.00 plus Bht 1,970.00 to me adds up to c. Bht 3,500.00. A little beyond my "eating out budget".
I guess you could nearly double that figure for a family of four, 5,000 baht plus! Way outside my budget for a family meal. In all fairness, even though my previous business life required that I eat meals that were French Nouvelle Cuisine, both in the UK and in France, that kind of food is not something I would choose for myself. For me, I will always enjoy a good steak restaurant serving fine, rare 300 gram Angus steaks with pepper sauce and proper chips any day. Unlike my wife who enjoys a multitude of different foods or dishes at meal time, and who would probably enjoy Aspara's menu, I like to have a simple, nothing fancy, substantial meal in front of me.

Good luck with their venture.

apsara meaning (in Hindu mythology) a celestial nymph, typically the consort of a gandharva or heavenly musician.

upload_2019-3-28_17-6-23.png

I guess you could nearly double that figure for a family of four, 5,000 baht plus! Way outside my budget for a family meal. In all fairness, even though my previous business life required that I eat meals that were French Nouvelle Cuisine, both in the UK and in France, that kind of food is not something I would choose for myself. For me, I will always enjoy a good steak restaurant serving fine, rare 300 gram Angus steaks with pepper sauce and proper chips any day. Unlike my wife who enjoys a multitude of different foods or dishes at meal time, and who would probably enjoy Aspara's menu, I like to have a simple, nothing fancy, substantial meal in front of me.

Good luck with their venture.

apsara meaning (in Hindu mythology) a celestial nymph, typically the consort of a gandharva or heavenly musician.

View attachment 27469

Never knew that religious connotation but what does Aspara mean?

Angkor wat.
722d83457553a72493a6f9ea8b598de3.jpg

IF the cost of the (optional) drinks are included, that's correct, but you wouldn't normally catch me spending 1,970 Bht on wine and spirits in a restaurant, so I focussed on the price of the food alone.

I could have had a Singha or two instead, for which the cost is pretty much the same as anywhere else in Surin except for the supermarkets, at 80 Bht, or a Leo at 70Bht for those on a tighter budget. (Both 330ml)

No ... that’s Apsara

An apsara, also spelled as apsaras by the Oxford Dictionary (respective plurals apsaras and apsarases), is a female spirit of the clouds and waters in Hindu and Buddhist culture. They figure prominently in the sculpture, dance, literature and painting of many South Asian and Southeast Asian cultures.

IF the cost of the (optional) drinks are included, that's correct, but you wouldn't normally catch me spending 1,970 Bht on wine and spirits in a restaurant, so I focussed on the price of the food alone.

I could have had a Singha or two instead, for which the cost is pretty much the same as anywhere else in Surin except for the supermarkets, at 80 Bht, or a Leo at 70Bht for those on a tighter budget. (Both 330ml)

I don't think there are many places elsewhere in Surin who are charging Bht 80.00 for a small beer. Not even hotels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back