Bereavement info from UK gov

"Deaths of British nationals overseas are not automatically recorded in the UK Register Office, nor is there any obligation for the death to be registered with the British Embassy in Bangkok."

I didn't know that.

Just as there is no need to register a Thai marriage with the British Embassy, it is not necessary to register a death.

Thai marriage and death certificates are recognised in the UK, and are fully accepted where pensions etc are paid out.

As Yorky said above there is no longer the £2,000 payout on death, nor any other benefits from the DWP. They all ceased last April for deaths occurring after 5th April 2017....unless the wife/widow happened to be in the UK or other country with a reciprocal agreement, with her husband at the time of death. Only country in Asia is Phillipines.

My wife will need to inform my Carillion Pension Providers (whoever they may be) of my death in order to claim her 25%. However, the provider will likely be in such disarray that it may just fall through the crack. I can see no useful purpose in her informing DWP (or the British Embassy) of my death - just keep claiming my pension until they discover that I'm dead. It's not that they'll send someone over here to attempt to recover any excess payments.

[Edit: If I die 5 months before they discover my death she may then have the £2,000.00 to cover the funeral]

My wife will need to inform my Carillion Pension Providers (whoever they may be) of my death in order to claim her 25%. However, the provider will likely be in such disarray that it may just fall through the crack. I can see no useful purpose in her informing DWP (or the British Embassy) of my death - just keep claiming my pension until they discover that I'm dead. It's not that they'll send someone over here to attempt to recover any excess payments.

[Edit: If I die 5 months before they discover my death she may then have the £2,000.00 to cover the funeral]
Agree. I’d do the same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree. I’d do the same

Don't rely on a bonus!!

The DWP seem to have a knack of knowing when a British Farang has died in Thailand. From memory I don't recall any of our customers being paid more than one month 'over'.

As I understand it all Farang deaths have to be notified to the police within 24 hours. If death occurs in a hospital then clearance is required from the British Embassy before the body can be removed.

Mrs Yorky could always ensure he dies at home and the body is dispatched to the khlong....

The only drawback to that is that to get her widow's pension she will need a death certificate and the doctor usually expects to see a body.... :):)

The only drawback to that is that to get her widow's pension she will need a death certificate and the doctor usually expects to see a body.... :):)

Does that mean that unless the pension provider sees a death certificate, they won't believe that I'm dead (and keep paying the full pension)?

Does that mean that unless the pension provider sees a death certificate, they won't believe that I'm dead (and keep paying the full pension)?

Yes.

The downside is that when they find out (and they will)................... any overpayment will be deducted from her widows pension.

There is a ‘widows pension’ for Thai wives of UK citizens?

On occupational pensions, yes (usually).

My missus (unmarried) will get 45% of my pension.

About 40 odd grand a month I think............................ please don't tell her ! :smile::smile:

At the risk of being labelled the Grammar Police............. could this thread be re-titled " Bereavement info from the UK gov..."

Whilst the DWP will request the return of any pension or other payments made after death, it is not the responsibility of the widow, per se, to make the repayments. If there is an "estate", the repayment will have to be made from there. With no estate money, the DWP will normally write off any overpayments

With regard to occupational widows pensions, as CO-CO stated above, if full repayment of overpaid pension is not possible, the employer will reduce the widows pension (usually over a 6 month period) to claw back any overpaid pensions. We have one widow at the moment who is receiving a net widows pension of around 3,000bt/month until July this year, when she will start to receive full pension (less 20% tax)

For the benefit f Mrs Yorky, and others, who may hope to continue receiving state pensions after death, it will be as well to ensure there is no money or other assets left in the UK at the time of death.

Nick, one of my occupational pensions is coded NTX (no tax deducted) while the other is taxed at 20% (after offsetting my personal tax allowance). Is there anyway Thai widows can receive these occupational pensions without having tax deducted? I have always assumed my first pension will remain free of tax. Is there anyway for Thai widows to obtain a UK tax allowance?

Nick, one of my occupational pensions is coded NTX (no tax deducted) while the other is taxed at 20% (after offsetting my personal tax allowance). Is there anyway Thai widows can receive these occupational pensions without having tax deducted? I have always assumed my first pension will remain free of tax. Is there anyway for Thai widows to obtain a UK tax allowance?

For a Thai widow to receive a tax allowance, she must first of all have a NI number. Prior to April 2017, this was simple as the DWP would automatically apply for a NI number in connection with bereavement payments. Now it is more difficult, and we are currently negotiating with the Inland Revenue regarding a personal tax allowance and whether they will either forego the NI number, or apply on behalf of the widow, Until such time as a personal tax allowance is provided, tax is taken off at 20% of all income.

Note that strictly under the regulations a Thai widow is not entitled to a personal tax allowance. However up to last year we were always able to get the full allowance for widows. Hope we can continue to do so.

With regard to your occupational pensions, Nomad, I think you will find that whilst each pension provider does not collect tax, you will be paying 20% of your total UK derived income (occupational and state pensions) above the current threshold 0f £11,500. Pensions which derive from overseas are not taxed in the UK.

For a Thai widow to receive a tax allowance, she must first of all have a NI number. Prior to April 2017, this was simple as the DWP would automatically apply for a NI number in connection with bereavement payments. Now it is more difficult, and we are currently negotiating with the Inland Revenue regarding a personal tax allowance and whether they will either forego the NI number, or apply on behalf of the widow, Until such time as a personal tax allowance is provided, tax is taken off at 20% of all income.

Note that strictly under the regulations a Thai widow is not entitled to a personal tax allowance. However up to last year we were always able to get the full allowance for widows. Hope we can continue to do so.

With regard to your occupational pensions, Nomad, I think you will find that whilst each pension provider does not collect tax, you will be paying 20% of your total UK derived income (occupational and state pensions) above the current threshold 0f £11,500. Pensions which derive from overseas are not taxed in the UK.

Good to hear of the good work you are doing obtaining tax relief for Thai widows. Long may you be successful.

As to my own pensions, I have never paid taxed on one of them that was wholly derived from work overseas. However, for the first time, and I think this is a glitch in their on-line computer system, they have included this pension in the total UK derived income for tax purposes. It is correctly shown/listed as NTX and then included for tax purposes. Fear not, I have not been slow to react. I am in contact with HMRC, we have exchanged correspondence, I have already presented my case to them and I am now awaiting resolution.

Guidance- Latest from GOV UK - Thailand

Thailand - Bereavement information
Information about the practical arrangement required following the death of a British national in Thailand

Published 3 December 2013
Last updated 24 April 2018 — see all updates
Foreign & Commonwealth Office

Documents

Application to register an overseas death
PDF, 131KB, 1 page

This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.

Information Relating to Deaths in Thailand
PDF, 363KB, 9 pages

Details
This guidance has been produced to help family or friends understand the practical arrangements required and includes local procedures and the process of appointing funeral directors following the death of a British national in Thailand.

Last updated 24 April 2018 + show all updates
Related content
Birth, death and marriage abroad
Includes how to get married, list of funeral directors and how to register a birth abroad.

Collection
Policy
World locations

Thailand - Bereavement information
Information about the practical arrangement required following the death of a British national in Thailand

Last updated 24 April 2018 — see all updates
Foreign & Commonwealth Office

Documents

Application to register an overseas death
PDF, 131KB, 1 page

This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.

Information Relating to Deaths in Thailand
PDF, 363KB, 9 pages

Details
This guidance has been produced to help family or friends understand the practical arrangements required and includes local procedures and the process of appointing funeral directors following the death of a British national in Thailand.

Last updated 24 April 2018 + show all updates
Related content
Birth, death and marriage abroad
Includes how to get married, list of funeral directors and how to register a birth abroad.

Collection
Policy
World locations

Back