Bereavement info from UK gov

Thanks Nomad.

Whilst interesting, I would suggest that most of that information is mostly applicable to tourists and short-term visitors (eg reference to travel insurance).

We have only experienced one repatriation in all our Thai Widows cases - and I don’t think that would have happened if the deceased did have travel insurance (illegally) in place.

I believe that it is incumbent upon all of us (full time Expats) to ensure that relatives at home do not have to deal with any funeral arrangements.

Reference "Affirmation of marital status for Thailand" it has recently come to my attention that the British Embassy now need you to apply for a specific appointment for this document. There are no free days left in April and only a few left in May for this. Hopefully the rules do not apply to death certificates as we shall start to smell a little before June.

Reference "Affirmation of marital status for Thailand" it has recently come to my attention that the British Embassy now need you to apply for a specific appointment for this document. There are no free days left in April and only a few left in May for this. Hopefully the rules do not apply to death certificates as we shall start to smell a little before June.

You don’t need a death certificate from the embassy to be burned..... just a release notice for the hospital will have you on your way.

You don’t need a death certificate from the embassy to be burned..... just a release notice for the hospital will have you on your way.

I cannot quite remember the exact circumstances but when Aussie George died, his sister (who was here) had to obtain permission from George's daughter to authorise the cremation. The Australian embassy were involved but I forget to what extent.

I cannot quite remember the exact circumstances but when Aussie George died, his sister (who was here) had to obtain permission from George's daughter to authorise the cremation. The Australian embassy were involved but I forget to what extent.

Yes, the daughter would likely be next of kin....assuming he wasn’t married. . For most of us, the good lady will be the decision maker.

Back