Breeds of cattle typical in Isaan?

Stargazer

Surin Legend
My wife is showing me cattle sales show video. The common cattle types are not what I am familiar with (in USA). I grew up taking care of Jersey-Guernsey milk cows, and Santa Gertrudes beef cows.

To help me learn, can someone tell me what the breeds most common are, and possibly why they are well suited to Isaan? Then I can look them up.

My wife is showing me cattle sales show video. The common cattle types are not what I am familiar with (in USA). I grew up taking care of Jersey-Guernsey milk cows, and Santa Gertrudes beef cows.

To help me learn, can someone tell me what the breeds most common are, and possibly why they are well suited to Isaan? Then I can look them up.
I Googled "cattle breeds in Thailand" and found some info that might help you...

IMG_4728.JPGIMG_4729.JPGIMG_4730.JPG

There used to be a guy selling crossbred cattle, beef cattle I believe. A French beef cattle with another breed. Was supposedly good beef from them. Anyone remember this?

why they are well suited to Isaan? Then I can look them up.
They are well suited as they are they were the breeds given at random for "Free" from Mr Thaksin to kick start this whole cattle thing in 2005. With the 1 million families a cow project. It went to shite soon after the initial roll out. Same usual corruption and just local farmers selling premature. They were not suppose to do that. Well any way Thailand imported live cattle for use in this project from Australia, New Zealand,. Myanmar and Costa Rica. Mainly from Australia as the free trade agreement at the time had just been made.
The breeds imported included Brahman, Charolais, Blonde d’ Aquitaine and Angus. My wife's family received two bulls for breeding FFS!

You seem so bright eyed and bushy tailed. This is for you sorry cannot resist.

1631075721297.png

Last edited:
There used to be a guy selling crossbred cattle, beef cattle I believe. A French beef cattle with another breed. Was supposedly good beef from them. Anyone remember this?

If I remember correctly they were called Charolaise and came from right up in North East Isaan.

I had a Charolaise steak in the Kosa Hotel in Khon Kaen many years ago. It wasn't Aberdeen Angus but it was acceptable.

Check out

SJ Doungjai Farm is at เอส เจ ดวงใจฟาร์ม.​

55m · Muang Surin ·

1f637.png
วัคซีนเข็ม2รอลุ้นตอนต่อไป
1f60c.png

63You and 62 others
4 Comments

Does she massage the cows herself or use currently out of work soapy girls?
You are out of line with that comment.:rage: Her husband and her manage and supervise the farm and a restaurant and two mobile carts. Ships all over Thailand.

They are well suited as they are they were the breeds given at random for "Free" from Mr Thaksin to kick start this whole cattle thing in 2005. With the 1 million families a cow project. It went to shite soon after the initial roll out. Same usual corruption and just local farmers selling premature. They were not suppose to do that. Well any way Thailand imported live cattle for use in this project from Australia, New Zealand,. Myanmar and Costa Rica. Mainly from Australia as the free trade agreement at the time had just been made.
The breeds imported included Brahman, Charolais, Blonde d’ Aquitaine and Angus. My wife's family received two bulls for breeding FFS!

You seem so bright eyed and bushy tailed. This is for you sorry cannot resist.

View attachment 43522
Haha! I'm a young 72 hoping to get into my 90s healthy, as my Dad did. Before I got married, an old guy hanging around Sukhumvit told me that it was cheaper to rent Thai women than marry them. He's right. Keeping my wife's family expenditures within budget limits is not easy. The circle of extended family that need financial assistance has a tendency to grow. Still, married is better than girlfriends. My wife is a beautiful, serious, hard-working farm girl who won't touch alcohol, and doesn't like to waste money. A happy, fun partner. Fortunately, I can afford her. Cattle and rice paddy, I'm not so sure about.

Last edited:
Are posts being removed from this thread without reference?

Or is it the new upgrade?

Thanks to all for the links and even the occasional jokes.
You might consider getting some pigs for your ranch, as they are relatively inexpensive (compared to cattle) and pretty easy for your lovely wife to care for. We usually have four sows that produce every 3 1/2 months...litters can be as many as 12 or 13 piglets. My wife keeps them about 6 weeks...until they start on solid food...then sells them for 1500 baht each (1400 Bt lately though).

She keeps the pens and her "children" spotlessly clean, and only needs to visit them a couple times a day to make sure about food and water, etc.
Something to consider...
IMG_1366.JPGIMG_1367.JPGIMG_1371.JPGIMG_1435.JPGIMG_1435.JPG

Back