Cats and Dogs

nomad97

Resident Geek
No, not the little furry things running around the house and garden but the 'cats and dogs' as in heavy rain. Looks like the fine, hot spell of weather could be in for a change next week. I am sure some heavy rain would be very welcomed by most.

upload_2019-3-9_7-25-12.png

I wonder what was the origin of the expression "its raining cats and dogs" ?

Anyone care to take a stab in the dark (now there's another expression that could cause concern!)

What's the meaning of the phrase 'Raining cats and dogs'?
Raining very heavily.

Origin - the short version
No one knows the precise source of the 17th century expression 'raining cats and dogs', but we can be sure that it didn't originate because animals fell from the sky.

Origin - the full story
raining-cats-and-dogs.gif

This is an interesting old English phrase in that, although we don't know who coined it or why, it has spawned a host of speculative derivations. Let's can get the fanciful proposed derivations out of the way...

The phrase isn't in any sense literal, that is, it doesn't record an incident where cats and dogs fell from the sky. Small creatures, of the size of frogs or fish, do occasionally get carried skywards in freak weather, but there's no record of groups of them being scooped up in that way and causing this phrase to be coined. Not that we need to study meteorological records for that - it's plainly implausible.

See full explanation here: https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/raining-cats-and-dogs.html

I wonder what was the origin of the expression "its raining cats and dogs" ?

Anyone care to take a stab in the dark (now there's another expression that could cause concern!)
I always thought that it came from the fact that thatched roofs were ‘homes’ of all sorts of creatures as they were warm , until it rained, then they left their sanctuary & it ‘rained cats & dogs’.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, not the little furry things running around the house and garden but the 'cats and dogs' as in heavy rain. Looks like the fine, hot spell of weather could be in for a change next week. I am sure some heavy rain would be very welcomed by most.

Definitely would be welcomed by me.

But that forecast was a week ago and we've seen bugger all rain in my end of the village since.

[Plenty of cats and soi dogs though!]

Back