Common Visa Types Explained

CO-CO

Rather wrinkly & occasionally cantankerous member
I found this on theThaiger.com

In Thailand the period of visa validity is different from the period of stay.

A visa is issued by a Thai Embassy/Consulate and only allows travel to Thailand. A visa comes in the form of a ‘Vignette’ or ‘Apostille’ affixed into your passport.

Visa validity is the period during which a visa can be used to enter Thailand. The validity of a visa is granted with discretion by the Royal Thai Embassy or Royal Thai Consulate-General and is displayed on the visa sticker.
The period of stay is granted by an immigration officer upon arrival at the port of entry and in accordance with the type of visa. The period of stay granted by the immigration officer is displayed on the arrival stamp. Travellers who wish to stay longer than such period may apply for extensions of stay at offices of the Immigration Bureau located in the provinces.

In basic English terms, if you enter Thailand on the last day of the validity of your visa (enter before date) you will still be granted a permit of stay for 60, 90, or 365 days subject to the type of Visa, even though the visa expires thereafter.

The below visa types availability can vary between Thai Embassies. Check your local Thai Embassy website for availability and requirements.

VE (Visa exempt entry).
Entry without a visa.
Permits a stay of 30 days on entry. < due to current quarantine requirements, and until further notice, the permit to stay has been extended to 45 days >
The permit of stay can be extended one time for a further 30 days, and an additional 60 days for visiting Thai family/spouse.

SETV (Single entry tourist visa).
Issued on the basis of tourism.
Valid to enter Thailand for 3 months from the date of issue.
Permits a stay of 60 days on entry.
The permit of stay can be extended one time for a further 30 days, and an additional 60 days for visiting Thai family/spouse.

METV (Multiple entry tourist visa).
Issued on the basis of tourism.
Valid to enter Thailand for 6 months from the date of issue.
Permits a stay of 60 days on each entry.
Allows multiple entries (using border hops) of 60 days during the validity of the visa.
The permit of stay can be extended one time on each entry for a further 30 days, and an additional 60 days for visiting Thai family/spouse.
To maximise the period of stay, if you make a border hop on, or just before the expiry (enter before date) of the Visa, you will be granted a a further stay of 60 days, which can again be extended one time for a further 30 days and an additional 60 days to visit Thai family/spouse.
You can stay for almost 9 months, or 11 months with an additional 60 day extension for visiting Thai family/spouse from a METV.

Non Immigrant Non O Visa (Single entry).
Can be issued on the basis of retirement (+50) or Thai family/spouse.
Valid to enter Thailand for 3 months from the date of issue.
Permits a stay of 90 days on entry, which can be extended once for a further 60 days for visiting Thai family/spouse.

Non Immigrant Non O multiple entry Visa.
Can be issued on the basis of retirement (+50) or Thai family/spouse.
Valid to enter Thailand for 12 months from the date of issue.
Allows multiple entries of 90 days during the validity of the visa.
The permit of stay can be extended one time on each entry for a further 60 days, for visiting Thai family/spouse during the validity of the visa.
You can stay for almost 15 months from a Non Imm O ME visa based on retirement, or 17 months with an additional 60 day extension based on Thai family/wife.

Non Immigrant O-A multiple entry Visa. (Long stay)
Only issued on the basis of retirement. (+50)
Valid to enter Thailand for 12 months from the date of issue.
Allows multiple entries of 1 year during the validity of the visa.
If you exit and re-enter just before the 'enter before date' of this Visa type you will be granted a further 1 year permission of stay. You will however require a re-entry permit if you intend to leave and re-enter during this 2nd year permission of stay period. This is because when the Visa expires on the 'enter before' date so does the multiple entry allowance, which is only valid for the duration of the Visas validity (1 year).
If used to it's potential, you can stay for almost 2 years with this Visa type.

A mandatory Health Insurance policy requiring 400K inpatient and 40K outpatient cover is required for the Non Imm O-A visa application.
The permission of stay granted is impacted and limited to the expiry date of the Insurance policy, meaning on any entry the permission of stay granted will be limited to the expiry date of the Insurance policy.
You can subscribe to a new 400/40K health insurance policy at the end of your first year of stay and before re-entering Thailand to make use of that 2nd year stay the Non Imm O-A visa can provide, or alternatively consider a 2 year Health Insurance policy so as not to affect the validity of the multiple 1 year entries during the first year.

Does "visa on arrival" still exist? This site reckons that it does.

I haven't been through an airport for 12 years!

Yes, but not for UK arrivals..........they would be Visa Exempt.

Visa on Arrival​

9 Jul 2020

Visa on Arrival

Passport holders from the below 28 countries and territories may apply for visas at the immigration checkpoints (listed below) on arrival for the purpose of tourism and will be granted to stay in Thailand for a period not exceeding 15 days.

Requirement

- Application form, fully completed (this form can be obtained at the designated ports of entry into Thailand as listed below)
- One recent photo
- Proof of means of living expenses at the amount of 10,000 Baht per person and 20,000 Baht per family accordingly.
- Passport with at least 1 month validity and at least 2 blank pages
- Fully paid onward travel tickets which are usable within 15 days of the date of entry.
- Fee of 2,000 Baht (cash only in Thai Baht/non refundable)

For your convenience, please prepare documents and have them ready when apply for visa on arrival, or apply online in advance at https://www.evisathailand.com/ or https://thailandevoa.vfsevisa.com/thailand/online/home/index

Visitors who enter the Kingdom with Visa on Arrival generally cannot file an application for extension of stay, except in special cases of illness which prevents them from travelling. In this case, the application can be submitted at the Office of Immigration Bureau. Please visit their website: http://www.immigration.go.th

List of countries and territories which are entitled to apply for visa on arrival:

1. Bhutan: Kingdom of Bhutan
2. Bulgaria : Republic of Bulgaria
3. China: People’s Republic of China
4. Cyprus: Republic of Cyprus
5. Ethiopia Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia
6. Fiji
7. Georgia
8. India
9. Kazakhstan: Republic of Kazakhstan
10. Malta
11. Mexico : Republic of Mexico
12. Nauru
13. Papua New Guinea
14. Romania
15. Russia : Russian Federation
16. Saudi Arabia:
17. Taiwan
18. Uzbekistan
19. Vanuatu

List of countries and territories which are entitled to apply for visa on arrival:

1. Bhutan: Kingdom of Bhutan
2. Bulgaria : Republic of Bulgaria
3. China: People’s Republic of China
4. Cyprus: Republic of Cyprus
5. Ethiopia Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia
6. Fiji
7. Georgia
8. India
9. Kazakhstan: Republic of Kazakhstan
10. Malta
11. Mexico : Republic of Mexico
12. Nauru
13. Papua New Guinea
14. Romania
15. Russia : Russian Federation
16. Saudi Arabia:
17. Taiwan
18. Uzbekistan
19. Vanuatu

High end wankers.

Why .

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk

I never had an O-A visa, nor one of the other common ones listed by @CO-CO. Mine was a Non-B type visa.

Non-Immigrant Visa “B” - (business and work)

1. Visa Issuance

1.1 Foreigners who wish to work, conduct business or undertake investment activities in Thailand must apply for a Non-Immigrant Visa at the Royal Thai Embassies or Royal Thai Consulates-General. Various categories of the Non-Immigrant Visa are currently provided to meet the needs and qualifications of individual business persons. These include business visa Category “B”, business-approved visa Category “B-A” and investment and business visa Category “IB”. Holder of this type of visa wishing to work in Thailand must be granted a work permit before starting work. The visa fee is 2,000 Baht for single-entry with three-month validity and 5,000 Baht for multiple entries with one-year validity.

Mine was a Non-B too. Obtained 9 years ago at Savanakhet. Extentions are the usual price of 1900b per year.

Last edited:
Mine was a Non-B too. Obtained 9 years ago at Savanakhet. Extentions are the usual price of 1900b per year.

Shouldn't AtB have been carrying a Non-Immigrant Visa "B"?

I probably should have been also but my work in Thailand didn't amount to more than a week. And I was working for an Italian company and being paid from Malaysia.

Last edited:
Shouldn't AtB have been carrying a Non-Immigrant Visa "B"?

I probably should have been also but my work in Thailand didn't amount to more than a week. And I was working for an Italian company and being paid from Malaysia.
It's not an easy task, I believe. Loads of hoops to jump through. Same could be said of our mutual friend.
I did once hear, that a husband & wife restaurant owners within SSK province, were supposed to have a WP as partners to a family business but never saw evidence to prove it.

Just to add to the information on visas.......................... I had always assumed that you could only get a visa outside of Thailand. I later learned that you can get them at any immigration office.

The final paragraph may be of interest to those returning to Thailand and concerned about taking out insurance "for the duration of their stay"

Is it possible to apply for a Non O when you're Visa Exempt? also I thought the 800k had to be in the bank for 2 months prior to application?
You can apply for a a non-o visa at immigration with a visa exempt entry.
The 800k baht only has to be in the bank on the day your apply for the visa. Then when you apply for the one year extension of stay based upon regiment during the last 30 day of the 90 day entry the visa allows it will have to be in the bank for 2 months on the day you apply.

You can apply for a non-o visa based upon retirement or marriage to a Thai at any immigration of office. You will need 800k baht for retirement or 400k baht for marriage on the day you apply for it.
No insurance is required for a non-o visa application of extension of stay at immigration.

Just to add to the information on visas.......................... I had always assumed that you could only get a visa outside of Thailand. I later learned that you can get them at any immigration office.

The final paragraph may be of interest to those returning to Thailand and concerned about taking out insurance "for the duration of their stay"

The 800k baht only has to be in the bank on the day your apply for the visa. Then when you apply for the one year extension of stay based upon regiment during the last 30 day of the 90 day entry the visa allows it will have to be in the bank for 2 months on the day you apply.

You can apply for a non-o visa based upon retirement or marriage to a Thai at any immigration of office. You will need 800k baht for retirement or 400k baht for marriage on the day you apply for it.
No insurance is required for a non-o visa application of extension of stay at immigration.

No doubt there is a condition to the extension based upon retirement. That you need to be 50 or over?

Not that I am likely to need to do this but that is interesting information regarding the money in the bank only on the day that you apply. I can't imagine that that is a well know requirement.

Not that I am likely to need to do this but that is interesting information regarding the money in the bank only on the day that you apply. I can't imagine that that is a well know requirement.

Apparently, you need to be able to show that it came from overseas.

248993630_4617879194922198_7469052254184137687_n.jpg

PEOPLE WHO ENTER ON A VISA ON ARRIVAL ("green column"):
- Cost is 2K THB, payable on arrival
- Allows a person to stay for 15 days
- Can not be extended
- An in-country can not be purchased inside Thailand.

PEOPLE WHO ENTER ON A VISA EXEMPT:
- Cost is free
- Allows a person to stay for 30 days
- Can be extended ONCE for another 30 days, for 1,900 THB
- An in-country visa can be acquired for other reasons

PEOPLE WHO ENTER ON A BILATERAL AGREEMENT:
- Cost is free
- Allows a person to stay for either 15/ 30/ or 90 days (depending on nationality)
- Can not be extended
- Contact your local immigration office if an in-country visa is desired.

PEOPLE WHO ENTER ON A TOURIST VISA (not listed on the chart I posted above):
- Cost is 2K THB in local currency
- Allows a person to stay for 60 days
- Can be extended ONCE for another 30 days at the local immigration office, for 1,900 THB.
- An in-country visa can be acquired for other valid reasons.

248993630_4617879194922198_7469052254184137687_n.jpg

PEOPLE WHO ENTER ON A VISA ON ARRIVAL ("green column"):
- Cost is 2K THB, payable on arrival
- Allows a person to stay for 15 days
- Can not be extended
- An in-country can not be purchased inside Thailand.

PEOPLE WHO ENTER ON A VISA EXEMPT:
- Cost is free
- Allows a person to stay for 30 days
- Can be extended ONCE for another 30 days, for 1,900 THB
- An in-country visa can be acquired for other reasons

PEOPLE WHO ENTER ON A BILATERAL AGREEMENT:
- Cost is free
- Allows a person to stay for either 15/ 30/ or 90 days (depending on nationality)
- Can not be extended
- Contact your local immigration office if an in-country visa is desired.

PEOPLE WHO ENTER ON A TOURIST VISA (not listed on the chart I posted above):
- Cost is 2K THB in local currency
- Allows a person to stay for 60 days
- Can be extended ONCE for another 30 days at the local immigration office, for 1,900 THB.
- An in-country visa can be acquired for other valid reasons.

You're in danger of upsetting AtB here. You know he gets bored with everything of which he is fully cognisant.

Apparently, you need to be able to show that it came from overseas.
SSK immigration insist on a bank letter be produced on the day of your first 90 day report, showing 800,000b in your bank account (if its a retirement extention). I am told, this has been the situation for the last few years.

Back