Covid19 in Surin [report from Government Hospital]

You are NOT adhering to medical advice. Masks apparently need only be worn -under normal circumstances -when you have a cold or sore throat to prevent YOUR germs being passed to others. Exceptions would be when forced to be with many others such as on a bus or airplane.

Shortages of masks have been reported. The idea is that healthcare workers and folks at the hospital, "at risk"/ health-compromised require this protection more so than healthy folks.

People who have a cold, a fever, runny nose, are sick, etc should wear a mask as well...to assist in protecting others.

Last edited:
You are NOT adhering to medical advice. Masks apparently need only be worn -under normal circumstances -when you have a cold or sore throat to prevent YOUR germs being passed to others. Exceptions would be when forced to be with many others such as on a bus or airplane.

I disagree with you.

If masks have limited/one way use, why do doctors, nurses and dentists routinely wear them.

Have they all got colds?

It was not my advice. Merely passing on what the medics suggest.

Passing on what SOME recommended...

Does Wearing a Mask Protect You from the Flu and Other Viruses?
alana-biggers.png

Medically reviewed by Alana Biggers, MD, MPH on March 18, 2020 New — Written by Kristeen Cherney and Daniel Potter
If you buy something through a link on this page, we may earn a small commission. How this works.

When the United States experienced an outbreak of the swine flu in 2009, everyone was talking about how to reduce the spread of the virus.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)Trusted Source, vaccine availability was limited that year because the virus wasn’t identified until manufacturers had already started producing the annual vaccine.

So, people started doing something most of us hadn’t really seen before to stop transmission: wearing surgical face masks.

But with the recent spread of the novel coronavirus SARS-CoV-2, people are again looking to surgical face masks as a way of protecting themselves and others from the virus, which causes the disease COVID-19.

But does wearing a face mask really prevent the spread of viruses, such as the flu or SARS-CoV-2?

We’ll look at recommendations from experts, unpack the research on which masks are most effective, and explain how to use masks properly.

CDCTrusted Source notes that:

“CDC does not recommend that people who are well wear a facemask to protect themselves from respiratory illnesses, including COVID-19. You should only wear a mask if a healthcare professional recommends it. A facemask should be used by people who have COVID-19 and are showing symptoms.”

The CDCTrusted Source recommends healthcare workers wear face masks when working with patients who have the flu.

The CDC also recommendsTrusted Source patients who show signs of respiratory infections be given masks while they’re in healthcare settings until they can be isolated.

If you’re sick and need to be around others, properly wearing a mask can protect those around you from contracting your illness.

Whether you like it or not, whether it makes sense or not, there is a big cultural clash over foreigners refusing to wear face masks.

Culture clash over foreigners’ refusal to wear face masks

Screenshot-2020-03-20-15.44.44.jpg

With the rapid rise of Covid-19 coronavirus cases in Thailand, more than tripling in the space of a week, a culture clash previously seen in China, is rearing its head in the Land of Smiles. While Thais, even in areas with no infections, consider face masks obligatory and a sign of concern for the welfare of others, many visitors and expats from Western nations shun them. Doctors in Western countries have urged their citizens not to hoard masks or even wear them unless already sick, but to save them for health workers, saying they aren’t helpful and most people are not wearing them properly anyway.

Many Asian doctors have the opposite advice, encouraging the public to wear masks, contradicting Western doctors and claiming that failure to wear them helps spread the virus. China in particular has driven this message strongly to Thai authorities.

China has shown proven results in fighting the virus, and Chinese officials have stated publicly that mandatory masks helped drive this. Masks are sold out at many locations and long lines have been seen across Thailand.

Whichever doctors and advice you follow, the situation has begun to cause tension in Thailand and is likely to get worse as thousands of foreigners decline to wear masks, while thousands of Thai’s grow angry with foreigners and believe they’re spreading the virus by not wearing one.

In Hong Kong, public shaming became normal for expats and tourists seen in public without masks and the hashtag, #weara*******mask went viral, with millions of shares. Hong Kong citizens also strongly believe masks helped stop the virus in the territory and control it better than most. The majority of Thais appear to agree. Photos of foreigners not wearing masks have begun to be shared on social media prompting many to don masks to avoid a cultural conflict, regardless of beliefs on their effectiveness.

Thailand’s volatile public health minister Anutin Chavarnakul made headlines last month when he said on television that foreigners who won’t wear facemasks “should be kicked out” of the country.

SOURCE: The Pattaya News

Ref: https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/culture-clash-over-foreigners-refusal-to-wear-face-masks

Just returned from a ride about. A local Thai restaurant on the highway the owner his wife and son all wearing a mask. About 10 meters away a new restaurant with 12 Thai lassie NOT wearing mask saying HELLO HANDSOME MAN.:rolleyes::D

Our Village Headman asked my lovely wife this morning if she would set up her sewing operation in order to make a bunch of needed masks. She presently has three of her friends helping her, on 3 sewing machines, in making masks as fast as they can. Necessary or not, we're going to have a bunch of masks pretty damn soon.

Visitors banned at major Korat hospitals
PUBLISHED : 23 MAR 2020 AT 12:22

WRITER: PRASIT TANGPRASERT

c1_1884630_200323121714.jpg

Outpatients wait for medical services at Maharat Nakhon Ratchasima Hospital on Monday. (Photo: Prasit Tangprasert)
NAKHON RATCHASIMA: Five major hospitals in this northeastern province have banned visits by relatives and others to all inpatients, to prevent crowds gathering and to stem the spread of Covid-19.
https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/1884630/visitors-banned-at-major-korat-hospitals

I would guess that 8 out of 10 customers and staff in the Petchkasem snooker on Friday were wearing masks.

Whether they are fully effective or not , I would suggest that now is not the time for academic debate.

If I was 76 years of age I would be using whatever protection was available......
although I suppose your track record isn't the best in that respect;):sunglasses:.

I can think of at least 3 friends who would likely be brown bread if they caught this virus.....I have a very strong preference for you not being one of the them.

Just wear a f**king mask if you go out and show Anutin what a good, clean Farang you are. :laughing:

Since 17 March the confirmed cases of Covid19 have increased from zero to six at Surin Govt Hospital. Sad but true.

Last edited:
As of 31 March there are now 8 reported cases at Surin Govt Hospital.

(I wonder if the hospital has Covid19-specific swab test kits...or are they simply doing investigation within the lab.)

Surely family members may well start killing each other if quarantined too long.:mask: Just saying.

As of reporting-time Tuesday 17 March 2020 16:00 there were no verified reported cases of Covid19 in Surin Province.

(Please remember that this figure is subject to change.)

My initial four unanswered questions are:
1) do hospitals (not neccesarily clinics) have Covid19 swab test kits available ?
2) where will the testing by a laboratory be carried out ?
3) what is the turn-around time for reporting within the lab ?
4) how many people have been tested under the Provincial Health Dept's reporting scheme ?

As per personal report from the new Surin Govt hospital building at 08:00 this morning no hospital personnel were taking temperature readings upon entry to or outside prior to main first floor entrance.
There was disinfectant gel available.
There were also signs that directed anyone who suspects they have a respiratory issue, high fever or coughing to report to the nurses station prior to meeting with a physician.

Note: With an up-to-14-day incubation period taking forehead temperature may not/ can not weed out all potential cases, future cases and/ or virus carriers.

So yesterday's status still remains at zero Covid19 patients for Surin.

If travel is not contained from other provinces or countries that are reporting cases then this figure will undoubtedly increase exponentially.

Teach your families how to properly wash their hands, how to social distance, how to cover coughs and sneezes :mask: along with other safe practices.

Think about it. The only way it will spread in Thailand is with the reintroduction of travelers to Thailand (or citizen returnees) from foreign lands.
I surmise this is why the "quarantine" was mandatory.

So are you ready for "herd immunity" this winter ?

Do you feel that opening up Thailand will revive this economy or will it wreak havoc and death among the elderly and health-compromised (...understanding one-tenth of 1% for 70 million is 70,000) ?

Last edited:
Think about it. The only way it will spread in Thailand is with the reintroduction of travelers to Thailand (or citizen returnees) from foreign lands.
I surmise this is why the "quarantine" was mandatory.

So are you ready for "herd immunity" this winter ?

Do you feel that opening up Thailand will revive this economy or will it wreak havoc and death among the elderly and health-compromised (...understanding one-tenth of 1% for 70 million is 70,000) ?
As long as they do not open the borders before the Surin Elephant Roundup, I really do not care what they do.

Back