D.I.Y. - Furniture

nomad97

Resident Geek
My hobby is wood working or carpentry if you prefer. Because of availability and cost, plus strength and overall finish, I tend to use AA standard 18 mm ply supplied in 243 x 123 cm sheets from Index. A year and a half ago I made my own kitchen cabinets and work top. Previously I have made beds and tables from teak wood and they do fall in the category of carpentry. Now, for storage and display units the 18mm ply is just fine.

To handle the large sheets of wood I have made my own saw table. I can now cut these boards length ways with out any ones assistance.

View attachment 8362 View attachment 8363

My first project this year is to make a TV display unit for the living room. Phase one was to complete the base unit.

View attachment 8364 View attachment 8365

And the completed article: When this website allows I will post a picture or two. For reasons unknown, the first pictures uploaded fine. Now cannot upload anything.

Last edited:
My hobby is wood working or carpentry if you prefer. Because of availability and cost, plus strength and overall finish, I tend to use AA standard 18 mm ply supplied in 243 x 123 cm sheets from Index. A year and a half ago I made my own kitchen cabinets and work top. Previously I have made beds and tables from teak wood and they do fall in the category of carpentry. Now, for storage and display units the 18mm ply is just fine.

To handle the large sheets of wood I have made my own saw table. I can now cut these boards length ways with out any ones assistance.

View attachment 8362 View attachment 8363

My first project this year is to make a TV display unit for the living room. Phase one was to complete the base unit.

View attachment 8364 View attachment 8365

And the completed article: When this website allows I will post a picture or two. For reasons unknown, the first pictures uploaded fine. Now cannot upload anything.

It seems all farangs have their forte. Woodworking/carpentry is not mine. For some unknown reason, the saw starts to bend after 4/5", so I don't bother anymore.

Well done Nomad.

By the way Mike, I know you like your music and the Nat Geo Music channel is excellent. All the latest tracks with some pretty good video too. Played through my main amplifier and big speakers I can almost bring the walls down. LOL!

Very impressive, nomad.

I had to study woodwork in first year high school. Did not like it much, but scraped a pass (60% for theory, 40% for practical = 50%)! However, with age and hopefully increased wisdom, I later renovated our entire interior of our weatherboard home in Australia with pretty reasonable success.

Nomad, I am also into woodwork and am trying to start up a few projects. My problem is, I don't know where to get new wood for the framework of the cabinets etc.

In Australia I used to get dressed 3" x 1.5" pine or smaller size. I can't seem to find any shops in Surin that sell new lengths of wood. I see on your photos that you use this type of wood in your projects and on your workbench.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Rossco, its a problem. I use quality AA, 18mm ply in most of my projects. The sheets are 243 mm by 123 mm (large). I buy this from Index for 980 Baht per sheet. As to timber for framework, you could use the 'patchwork' timber strips that come in a couple of sizes. The timber is short strips glued together. Provided they are attached to the ply sheets they are quite strong and good for reinforcing the sheets. Also available from Index. I will add you can all buy both the ply and strips from the major DIY stores, especially Thai Watsadu. Another material I use is 'boonwood'. Again, this is a patchwork timber but of quite good quality. This can be bought in various widths (25 and 30 mm) and various lengths (1.20 to 3 meters long). It is also available in different thicknesses and in sheet form, same size as the ply. I use this also and cut into strips to make framework. I made my own table saw to cut the timber in straight lines and at widths that I wanted.

Conversely, go to any major timber yard and buy some proper/real wood. There is a very good timber yard by the traffic lights on the road leading out of town towards Chom Pra. The problem is getting it dressed to the size that you want and, or course, the cost. It is not cheap. Very good for special projects like making stair cases.

Last edited:
The timber sold by Surin Fur - in the sheds on the city side of the furniture shop itself - is fine for most purposes, and includes plywood in different thicknesses. They are also pretty useful for stuff like replacement plastic handles for sliding fly-screens, window fittings, lots of other hardware and so on.

It seems all farangs have their forte. Woodworking/carpentry is not mine. For some unknown reason, the saw starts to bend after 4/5", so I don't bother anymore.

Well done Nomad.
Same, same Nick. Couldn't make a straight cut in a piece of wood if my life depended on it.

Back