Demystifying Thai fuel choices?

Stargazer

Surin Legend
Pulling into a Thai PTT station for fuel, it occurred to me that I do not truly understand the myriad fuel choices.

Can someone volunteer to go through the list of fuels (Premium Diesel, B7, B20, gasohol, E20, etc.) and explain what they are, and why one might choose to pay more?

Pulling into a Thai PTT station for fuel, it occurred to me that I do not truly understand the myriad fuel choices.

Can someone volunteer to go through the list of fuels (Premium Diesel, B7, B20, gasohol, E20, etc.) and explain what they are, and why one might choose to pay more?
https://mrdefinite.net/driving-in-t...eck-prices-between-ptt-shell-esso-caltex-bcp/.
Google is your best friend when you live in the country my friend. I once asked for diesel but the attendant heard E20
(E sow in lao) at a ptt station. They paid for the repairs. My wife makes me watch that the right petrol is put into our car now.

Last edited:
This what we have been using since 2007 in our Toyota .
Shell FuelSave Diesel B7:29.24

The price is lowest in BBK and the highest in CNX.

The other fuels are self explanatory. What you need to know is that older Diesel vehicles have to use B7. Now by default the Thai government has set that "Diesel" is B20 they do not state that clearly. At times you may find a small B20 printed in the corner of a large sign that just reads Diesel. So if you ask for Diesel by Thai law, they give you B20.
Diesel ..... B20 can only be used in new cars that have been built to use it.

The other fuels are self explanatory. What you need to know is that older Diesel vehicles have to use B7. Now by default the Thai government has set that "Diesel" is B20 they do not state that clearly. At times you may find a small B20 printed in the corner of a large sign that just reads Diesel. So if you ask for Diesel by Thai law, they give you B20.
Diesel ..... B20 can only be used in new cars that have been built to use it.
That doesn't explain the difference between B7 and what PTT calls 'Premium Diesel', nor what exactly B7 is.

https://mrdefinite.net/driving-in-t...eck-prices-between-ptt-shell-esso-caltex-bcp/.
Google is your best friend when you live in the country my friend. I once asked for diesel but the attendant heard E20
(E sow in lao) at a ptt station. They paid for the repairs. My wife makes me watch that the right petrol is put into our car now.
Haha! Been there, done that. I was vacationing in Sweden with a rented Mercedes, and just before returning the car, filled it up near the dealer. Where I live in the USA, green is the pump handle code for diesel, so I filled it with that pump. It turns out that in Sweden, that color is EcoGas. About a kilometer away, the engine starts running rough so I pull into the local Mercedes dealer, where we figured out the issue (from my gas station receipt). As the dealer was also my car rental company, we had a negotiation. They wound up charging me about $300USD to drain the tank, purge the lines, etc.. I found out later that some people in that situation have been charges beaucoup bucks for 'damage to emissions systems'. I also found out that there is not, in fact, a color standard universal even in the USA. Now I read before I fill.

That doesn't explain the difference between B7 and what PTT calls 'Premium Diesel', nor what exactly B7 is.
I thought you were some kind of engineer. Really you need to be told that, the number is the percentage of bio matter in mineral fuel is in ratio.
That really is so elementary. You did not know that?. Just what did you think the number meant? Oh I did say but you did not pick up all other Diesel is B20.

I thought you were some kind of engineer. Really you need to be told that, the number is the percentage of bio matter in mineral fuel is in ratio.
That really is so elementary. You did not know that?. Just what did you think the number meant? Oh I did say but you did not pick up all other Diesel is B20.
Thanks, Rice. I surmised that, but with a science background I don't make assumptions. B7 is very commonly used. It may be that 'Premium Diesel' is just plain old pure diesel (which is now generally 'low sulfur' in USA). Are you implying that it is not, but is actually B20 being sold at a premium price? You previously stated your issues with B20 re: possible corrosion. If that's the case, maybe B7 is also a problem, and it may be worth paying the extra 6฿ per liter for 'Premium Diesel'. I would appreciate yours and others opinions on this.

Thanks, Rice. I surmised that, but with a science background I don't make assumptions. B7 is very commonly used. It may be that 'Premium Diesel' is just plain old pure diesel (which is now generally 'low sulfur' in USA). Are you implying that it is not, but is actually B20 being sold at a premium price? You previously stated your issues with B20 re: possible corrosion. If that's the case, maybe B7 is also a problem, and it may be worth paying the extra 6฿ per liter for 'Premium Diesel'. I would appreciate yours and others opinions on this.
I went into a filling station some six months ago and I was totally confused by all the new signage. I drove away without filling the tank. I went home and researched the matter, I think with a little help from @Rice. Suffice it to say, I have a 12-year old Ford Ranger (diesel) and determined that the fuel suitable for an engine of that age is Diesel - B7. I cut out and placed a sticker on my dashboard so I would never get confused again. The newer diesel engines should be able to run Diesel -B10.

B7 diesel fuel​

1637767996420.png

The same old diesel fuel that we used to use Added to the name is Diesel B7, the difference in that name is the proportion of biodiesel. In B7 diesel, the proportion of biodiesel mixed in diesel is 6.6 – 7.0%, meaning there will be more diesel than biodiesel added. Suitable for old cars and European cars. If anyone is not sure, use the B7 for sure.

B10 diesel fuel​

1637768018561.png

Diesel B10 moved up to be called just diesel , with the proportion of biodiesel mixed in diesel at 9 – 10%, equal to the proportion of diesel fuel decreased from the original. Which is now considered a standard grade diesel fuel in Thailand. Suitable for pickup trucks that are not very old. It is another alternative to using diesel fuel that is cheaper than before. But be sure that our car can use B10.

Thanks, Nomad97. That's helpful. I still haven't found out just what PTT 'Premium Diesel' at 36฿ is. Rice has told me that the pump labeled simply 'Diesel' is probably now B20. The question of efficiency and corrosion factors with any biofuels is complex, and (like nutrition) may not have any simple true/false answers. In math, we'd call it a multi-solution equation. In the Pacific Northwest USA where I hail from, Stihl is the Kubota of chainsaws, the pro choice. A professional tree faller I met at the Stihl dealer said he prefers using 100 octane aviation gas in his saw, that it seems to burn cleaner and have more power. You can get it in USA at any local small airport (I'm a licensed pilot as a hobby). There is one station here in Rattanaburi that sells pure (non-gasohol) gas that I choose for my chainsaw and irrigation pump.

Thanks, Nomad97. That's helpful. I still haven't found out just what PTT 'Premium Diesel' at 36฿ is. Rice has told me that the pump labeled simply 'Diesel' is probably now B20. The question of efficiency and corrosion factors with any biofuels is complex, and (like nutrition) may not have any simple true/false answers. In math, we'd call it a multi-solution equation. In the Pacific Northwest USA where I hail from, Stihl is the Kubota of chainsaws, the pro choice. A professional tree faller I met at the Stihl dealer said he prefers using 100 octane aviation gas in his saw, that it seems to burn cleaner and have more power. You can get it in USA at any local small airport (I'm a licensed pilot as a hobby). There is one station here in Rattanaburi that sells pure (non-gasohol) gas that I choose for my chainsaw and irrigation pump.
Yes, I did not answer that question last night. Basically, PTT Premium Diesel is B7 with additives.

What is the difference between PTT UltraForce Premium Diesel and general diesel?​

PTT Ultra Force Diesel Premium will give you a different driving feel. This has been confirmed by the North. Development Det subjects Sappakit experts cars in Thailand were confirmed to demonstrate the potential of a full-fledged PTT UltraForce Premium Diesel is a difference from the first tank to fill up to four aspects together.

1. Contains the world's first specially formulated additive.
2. The highest cetane value as the engine needs to make the car accelerate stronger than before.
3. High Additive makes the injector clean from the first tank filling. As a result, the car is powerful.
4. Meets Euro5 standards, helping to reduce air pollution.

Google translate of the following article........... https://auto.mthai.com/news/tips/86578.html

For what it is worth, I think the premium is probably for high-performance diesel cars and not worth the extra money for your bog-standard pickup trucks. My Ford Ranger (2009) has always run on the standard Diesel, now called Diesel - B7, and I have never had problems with the injectors or other parts of the fuel system. The pickup still starts easily (first turn of the key) and runs smoothly with more than 150,000 kilometers on the clock. :)

As I have free fuel at home for my MG we only use the triton for shifting hay bails etc. As a result I only add a few hundred Baht ever couple of months. I park up next to the Dark Blue Diesel pump and ask for Diesel each time they ask “B20?” The last time I simple pointed at the pump I was parked next to and said “Ow anee” want this one.

If it had a sign saying B20 I would have asked for B20!

Yes, I did not answer that question last night. Basically, PTT Premium Diesel is B7 with additives.

What is the difference between PTT UltraForce Premium Diesel and general diesel?​

PTT Ultra Force Diesel Premium will give you a different driving feel. This has been confirmed by the North. Development Det subjects Sappakit experts cars in Thailand were confirmed to demonstrate the potential of a full-fledged PTT UltraForce Premium Diesel is a difference from the first tank to fill up to four aspects together.

1. Contains the world's first specially formulated additive.
2. The highest cetane value as the engine needs to make the car accelerate stronger than before.
3. High Additive makes the injector clean from the first tank filling. As a result, the car is powerful.
4. Meets Euro5 standards, helping to reduce air pollution.

Google translate of the following article........... https://auto.mthai.com/news/tips/86578.html

For what it is worth, I think the premium is probably for high-performance diesel cars and not worth the extra money for your bog-standard pickup trucks. My Ford Ranger (2009) has always run on the standard Diesel, now called Diesel - B7, and I have never had problems with the injectors or other parts of the fuel system. The pickup still starts easily (first turn of the key) and runs smoothly with more than 150,000 kilometers on the clock. :)
Thanks, nomad97. A fine answer with specifics. Just what I was looking for. B7 does sound like a plausible fuel for most purposes. I did view the link, and it does not in fact, however, discuss whether there is any bio in PTT 'Premium' diesel, but because it is silent about that, it sounds likely it does have, as otherwise they'd tout it.

3AAF5CD5-D07D-4042-BEBE-E0CBBAF9EC00.jpegUpdate: went this morning to check. Have new scam: I parked opposite Blue Diesel pump while the guy madly waved at me to move to more expensive B7

Back