DIY Growbags

Merlin

You chose a custom title
Having searched for growbags in this area and online, I guess that they're simply not available - unless you know differently!

If nothing shows up in the next few days - and I hope that there may be something along similar lines at the Agricultural show starting in Surin today - I'm going to try using black pool liner to make my own, in the hope that it has slightly better UV resistance than bin liners/trash bags! One of those heat sealers intended for food packaging may work to weld the seams.

Has anyone ever tried this or found another solution to the problem of growing tomatoes etc., in limited spaces?

I used to grow Tomatoes in Orange plastic buckets ,the local Temple has 100's and I got 20 or so for free. I drilled holes in the bottom and placed them at the back of the house on some old small brick I had left-over and run some wires to support the plants.
It was fun to grow them but as they are so cheap from the local market I only did it for one season.

I've been thinking about growing tomatoes and other salad vegetables using hydroponic methods, without the need for grow bags. I've seen some interesting examples on Youtube, using square, plastic storage bins with holes cut in their lids and a small pump to circulate the water.

I tried growing sweet peppers a few months ago, without success. The seeds germinated but didn't grow more than a few millimetres before dying. Anyone had any success with these plants? They're quite expensive to buy so may be worth the effort to grow your own.

I've been thinking about growing tomatoes and other salad vegetables using hydroponic methods, without the need for grow bags. I've seen some interesting examples on Youtube, using square, plastic storage bins with holes cut in their lids and a small pump to circulate the water.

I tried growing sweet peppers a few months ago, without success. The seeds germinated but didn't grow more than a few millimetres before dying. Anyone had any success with these plants? They're quite expensive to buy so may be worth the effort to grow your own.

If by sweet peppers you are referring to what I call bell peppers, e.g. these little things,
big_bell_pepper.jpg
big_bell_pepper.jpg

then Makro sell them quite cheaply. Last week I bumped into AtB in Makro, Surin, and he had just bought some and he put me onto them. A bag of 6 bell peppers, 2 of each colour, for less than 60 baht. Excellent value for money. If you go into Tops Market you can easily pay more than 60 baht for just one, similarly with Big C.

SWMBO has grown these but the chickens get to them.
big_bell_pepper.jpg

As for lettuce, tomatoes, green onions, potatoes and strawberries she has grown.

If by sweet peppers you are referring to what I call bell peppers, e.g. these little things,
big_bell_pepper.jpg
big_bell_pepper.jpg

then Makro sell them quite cheaply. Last week I bumped into AtB in Makro, Surin, and he had just bought some and he put me onto them. A bag of 6 bell peppers, 2 of each colour, for less than 60 baht. Excellent value for money. If you go into Tops Market you can easily pay more than 60 baht for just one, similarly with Big C.

I think the bags of mixed bell peppers, sweet peppers or capsicums were 84bt/kg this week in Makro. . Depending on size you get from 6/8 for a kg

I found this interesting.....http://www.harrisfarm.com.au/blogs/guides/15819812-know-your-capsicums

For old guys with green thumbs and buggered knees. Try raised beds or even bench high timber beds. Better again wicking beds so you aren't a slave to the watering can. Happy to knock some up for beer money.

If anyone finds drainage Ag pipe let me know. I had to make my own for my septic tank system. It was very laborious even with a hand angle grinder. By the way it works perfectly.

Back