DoHome - Initial Thoughts

nomad97

Resident Geek
I did go to DoHome at the beginning of the week and, as Nick was asking some questions on another thread, I thought I may reply here.

My initial thoughts were 'wow', what a fully stocked and massive store DoHome is. They seem to have everything you may want, at competitive prices, but finding what you want may well be the problem. It is so big when compared to Thai Watsad and HomePro that I think it will take many visits to understand what they have on their shelves. I guess it's a similar size to Global. I think I entered through the exit point as the check out desks were in front of me. That was not a problem as some staff members were on duty to check me in. On the other side of the check out desks, I saw some useful machine shop tools; planers, band saws, circular saw tables, and the like. There was also a large display of solar panels and associated equipment for a handyman to install their own solar power system. Further up the main aisle, I saw several different styles of steel fencing and fence posts, something I may have bought had they been available before I made the new garden fence from wood. I had looked in Global and Thai Watsadu before concluding no steel fencing was available in Surin for my 'Free Bruno' project. There is now!

There were lots of goodies everywhere you looked. Overwhelming I would say on a first-time visit. It will certainly take many visits to suss out what they have on the shelves. The staff were friendly, the odd smile here and there but they were not in your face. I thought I spied a bargain that would have been just the job for @CO-CO's wall-to-wall video screen. It was the latest 65" TCL QLED Quantum Dot TV Series | Dolby Vision™, 4K Full Screen with HDR 10+and very competitively priced at 16,000 baht or so. Don't drop your glass @CO-CO and don't rush to DoHome to buy one either. On closer examination, the price tag was the monthly installment - 10 months interest-free. The actual price was about 160,000 baht. And a very nice picture too.

It's well worth a visit to the new store and I am sure there is something there to interest everyone.

I went there on their opening day, and the place was swarming with shoppers (or with sight-seers anyway.) As Nomad wrote, the scale of the place is BIG, and you'd expect them to have everything, including blue toilet seats and rubber mats. (BTW Yorky, I bought some of those rubber dashboard sheets for the car, and also used them to stop rugs sliding on the tiled floors, but that was long before DoHome arrived in town.)

I wanted to buy a 55watt electric pump to power an outdoor water feature. They have them at Thaiwatsadu and HomePro, and other places too, but I don't like the prices. I followed the sales assistant from the gardening area to the aisle where pumps for wells are stocked. No pumps for water features anywhere. Ah well... Lazada's gain then!

While looking around, I did find nylon rollers to stop the drive gate from falling over, and at around 50 thb a pair felt very satisfied. It was worth the 5 minute drive, and even the 10 minute walk from where we'd had to park!

What is "Dolby Vision", @nomad97?
Don't ask me. I did not write the description.

upload_2020-8-6_6-21-38.png

TCL's latest and greatest Dolby Vision TVs – the all-new 5-Series, 6-Series, and 8-Series – all offer amazing picture quality and have the industry's best smart TV experience. They also feature a key picture quality technology that optimizes brightness, contrast, and color – Dolby Vision HDR. If you’re somebody looking for the ultimate HDR experience, look no further than our Dolby Vision high-dynamic range (HDR) TVs for some of the most powerful imaging currently available.

HDR, or High Dynamic Range, allows a TV to deliver a contrast ratio and color palette that is more realistic and natural. With HDR, you're able to enjoy a brighter TV with an image that really pops and looks more like what you'd see in the real world.

Dolby Vision is the most advanced HDR format, and lucky for you, it’s supported by most major manufacturers, content creators, and studios, making it not only an exceptionally powerful HDR format, but a popular one, too. Dolby Vision content has the highest technical specifications, so you’re always going to get greater brightness, contrast, and the richest, fullest colors possible.

Why Choose Dolby Vision

There are a host of benefits to choosing a TV that delivers Dolby Vision HDR. This technology is able to deliver:
  • Astonishing Brightness - Your picture blazes from the screen up to 40 times more brightly than on today's standard TVs.
  • Deep Darks - Dolby Vision provides a new level of richness and precision that makes every scene look more real and nuanced.
  • Expanded Contrast - By using a much wider range of brights to darks, Dolby Vision more closely captures the look of the real world.
  • Ultravivid Colors - Dolby Vision unlocks many more hues across the full brightness range—some never before seen on standard televisions.
  • Refined Detail - Your display reveals the nuanced textures and patterns of our world through the precise use of expanded color and contrast ranges.
  • Enhanced Dimensionality - The TV screen shows you more lifelike forms, with realistic shadows and crisp edges that impart a subtle but convincing three-dimensional feel.
And get this: Dolby Vision’s HDR technology (which by the way powers Dolby’s most advanced cinemas around the world) is now available in your very own home with 5-, 6-, and 8-Series TVs. Plus, Dolby Vision delivers wide compatibility with various sources like generic HDR (HDR10), so you’ll always have a great viewing experience no matter what you watch. Of the two types of HDR – Dolby Vision and HDR10 – Dolby Vision is the only one that is compatible with both, so you can’t go wrong when you choose it.

https://www.tcl.com/us/en/blog/article/what-is-dolby-vision

So now you know!

@ Yorky,

To see what you have been missing, check out this website: https://www.dolby.com/technologies/dolby-vision/

103-dolby-vision-visualiser-colors-after.jpg

I still had a CRT up to 2 years ago!

That post didn't flag up. You inserted a space after "@".
Noted. My error.

And yes, I will wait for the prices to fall and then I will buy a TCL with Dolby Vision. A nice addition for the man cave.

Supporting the commies hey.:rolleyes::D

And who do you support, Appleman?

Apple’s new Mac Pro will be assembled in China, not the US

wwdc2019DSC_4114.0.jpg

The vast majority of Apple products are manufactured in China, so it’s not entirely surprising to see Apple shift its production overseas. But it comes at a fraught time, as the tech industry faces the prospect of 25 percent tariffs on imports from China, which could have political implications for a company that President Trump has regularly called out for not making products in the US.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/28/19102703/apple-mac-pro-china-production-assembly

****** Chines junk.;;bad egg;;;;anger;;;;bad simle;;;;bad simle;;;;bad simle;;;;bad simle;;;;bad simle;;;;bad simle;;

Nobody likes to hate on those chine ****** bastards, like me........... BUT!

I did my research on TCL Tv's and buying one on recommendation from @nomad97 because I just could not make up my mind. I have not been happier with the android TCL tellie I bought.

It does Irk me a bit to support the CCP but just what do you do when globalisation shifted everything to China or they stole the tech and did it better. :(

Nobody likes to hate on those chine ****** bastards, like me........... BUT!

I did my research on TCL Tv's and buying one on recommendation from @nomad97 because I just could not make up my mind. I have not been happier with the android TCL tellie I bought.

It does Irk me a bit to support the CCP but just what do you do when globalisation shifted everything to China or they stole the tech and did it better. :(
:p:D

As far as I remember Dolby was a process of reducing hiss from magnetic tape reproduction; invented by Ray Dolby.
Well then, that was the Dobly I knew too. Looks like the wheel has been reinvented, or the name at least, and with the demise of the magnetic tape it has been applied to better colour and vision.

Back