Driving Licences - Renewal

At what age will/ does DLT not provide a drivers license to a foreigner ? (75, 80?)

Is there any age limitation on accessing a valid license ?
(Not that it would stop an old Thai person on a scooter.)

You can also do a license renewal at a driving education school and not have to use the motor registry people/building. Did mine that way last year at the place my daughter used for driver's education classes. Much more pleasant, with no crowds or wait times at all.

That sound like the way to go, Cent. Where are these schools to be found please?

As an aside, are Thais aware that they exist??? (Apart from your daughter of course!)

You can also do a license renewal at a driving education school and not have to use the motor registry people/building. Did mine that way last year at the place my daughter used for driver's education classes. Much more pleasant, with no crowds or wait times at all.

Yes they are a good option. Regretfully with the DLT no longer is excepting corruption. (Yes it is true)
It shifted to those bloody schools shifty bastards are taking 5000B for a fresh drivers license no questions asked.

There are a few in Surin city. The one I know of is near the old jail. Google 14.881056°, 103.469665°.
You cannot miss it on Google earth that will be the one with the car track.

But the way @Cent how much did it cost if a renewal at DLT costs 505 Baht. I don't know where @Bandersnatch extra 50 Baht was added. Maybe his video charge.

That sound like the way to go, Cent. Where are these schools to be found please?

As an aside, are Thais aware that they exist??? (Apart from your daughter of course!)
We have one of these schools very near the DLT office in Prasat. When we bought our new truck a few months ago, we sold the old one to a Thai friend that didn't know how to properly drive. My lovely wife and I spent more than a week with him trying to teach him how to drive, but with no success. His daughter (who drives) suggested he go to the school, and he did.
He passed, got his license, still can't drive for shit.
Good school though...

I don't have an address for you. I'll see if I can get one when my daughter gets back from Bangkok later after the weekend. But, any Thai in Surin that has taken driving lessons should be able to steer you to one of these places. Was a much nicer experience. They have all the 'testing' equipment and the videos and all that stuff, the paperwork needed, etc etc. same as the government motor registry has. At least the school where my daughter went for her lessons and first licensing has. They even have the driver course to drive around in in a huge parking lot area like the government place does.

Yes they are a good option. Regretfully with the DLT no longer is excepting corruption. (Yes it is true)
It shifted to those bloody schools shifty bastards are taking 5000B for a fresh drivers license no questions asked.

There are a few in Surin city. The one I know of is near the old jail. Google 14.881056°, 103.469665°.
You cannot miss it on Google earth that will be the one with the car track.

But the way @Cent how much did it cost if a renewal at DLT costs 505 Baht. I don't know where @Bandersnatch extra 50 Baht was added. Maybe his video charge.

To tell the truth Rice I don't rightly remember. Was a year or so ago. I remember it was reasonable and caused me no 'sticker shock' to do it. I think the place you describe by the old jail is the one I used.

My wife passed the on-line test a couple of weeks ago. 30 minutes ago she left to get her new licence. She's now on her way back.

there is one Centre, behind the Mazda dealership on the Surin to Prassat road not far from Global house, i did my renewal there. No queues, but had to sit through the same video twice, one for car license, one for bike !

there is one Centre, behind the Mazda dealership on the Surin to Prassat road not far from Global house, i did my renewal there. No queues, but had to sit through the same video twice, one for car license, one for bike !

So you know all about how they state speeding is the number one cause of accidents in Thailand. Hmm.
Might be a factor but not the cause.

Continuing with their logic.. I would say road death is caused by a sudden stop!

My wife passed the on-line test a couple of weeks ago. 30 minutes ago she left to get her new licence. She's now on her way back.

10 minutes from arrival in DLT to leaving with her new licence. Reaction, colour blindness and distance vision tests completed satisfactorily.

Back