Driving Licenses

After reading all replies it seems that it's situation normal.. It all depends on what office you go to and who you deal with at the counter when you check in, or who is in charge of that office at the time you go there.. I'm still as confused as ever about the whole thing.. Believe it or not I have 4 more shots at the road test before they give up on me.. I've come this far.. I might as well see the thing through and give it my best shot.. The only time I'll pay for anything is if or when I pass the road test.. They want me back there on Friday to have another go at it.. If he hasn't got something else on tap, I have a brother in law with a small pickup truck and I can use that for the test.. One thing I noticed at Nang Rong.. They did the bikes first, then the cars and the trucks came last.. When they did the cars they moved the cones in and made the box at bit smaller.. When it was time for the trucks you got the full box to work with.. I'm not even going to worry about the bike license.. At my age and the way things are on the road here, finding me on a bike here is about the same as finding a snowball in hell.. The only reason I took the test is , what the hell, they offered me a shot at it.. Again I'm only speaking about what I experienced in Nang Rong.. BTW is there a traffic office in Nong Ki?

Sorry will correct:smile:.

As it stands selective requirement to have or have not medical certificate for dl.

NANG RONG and SSK NOT required

Prasat and Surin IS required.

Score tied 2 all..

Just in Nang Rong and they wanted the medical certificate when we went and that was Tuesday.. Proves my point about who's at the counter and who's running the place when you go there..

After reading all replies it seems that it's situation normal.. It all depends on what office you go to and who you deal with at the counter when you check in, or who is in charge of that office at the time you go there.. I'm still as confused as ever about the whole thing.. Believe it or not I have 4 more shots at the road test before they give up on me.. I've come this far.. I might as well see the thing through and give it my best shot.. The only time I'll pay for anything is if or when I pass the road test.. They want me back there on Friday to have another go at it.. If he hasn't got something else on tap, I have a brother in law with a small pickup truck and I can use that for the test.. One thing I noticed at Nang Rong.. They did the bikes first, then the cars and the trucks came last.. When they did the cars they moved the cones in and made the box at bit smaller.. When it was time for the trucks you got the full box to work with.. I'm not even going to worry about the bike license.. At my age and the way things are on the road here, finding me on a bike here is about the same as finding a snowball in hell.. The only reason I took the test is , what the hell, they offered me a shot at it.. Again I'm only speaking about what I experienced in Nang Rong.. BTW is there a traffic office in Nong Ki?
Maybe you should consider NOT getting a drivers license and keep the roads safer for all of us.

Was at the Chonburi Land Transport Office Branch in Banglamung to pay annual registration for the mighty Sportswagon today.

As I will be renewing my Thai Driving License shortly, I asked about the Medical Certificate if renewing a 5-year license for a second term. Answer: "Not need!"

Hope that crucial information is still valid next week!

Last edited by a moderator:
Was at the Chonburi Land Transport Office Branch in Banglamung to pay annual registration for the mighty Sportswagon today.

As I will be renewing my Thai Driving License shortly, I asked about the Medical Certificate if renewing a 5-year license for a second term. Answer: "Not need!"

Hope that crucial information is still valid next week!

Your lucky. In the Surin area it is needed. 30 bt at the bone doctor.

Successfully renewed the driving license this afternoon. Took about 1 1/2 hours from arrival to departure, including photocopying, testing of colourblindness and reaction time (didn't bother with the depth perception test), viewing about 15 minutes of the road safety video till called out and waiting to be photographed. All reasonably efficient, but mostly unnecessary, as I was celebrating 50 years of driving and 20 years of playing dodgem cars in Thailand!

Certainly did not need a medical certificate, which was pleasing as I feel that my Elephantitis may be getting worse.

Last edited by a moderator:
need to renew my 2 5-year driving lic(motocy and 4-wheel) this autumn,

anybody familiar with recent paper requirements?

my guess
the 2 licences
passport, copy of photo page, entry stamp and visa pages
address confirmation (embassy or immigration or tabien baan or similar)
is medical certificate needed for renewal?

I think immigration only respond to a form from the Land Transport Office re address confirmation.

Recommend that you speak to LTO first.

I had to do the vision and reaction tests + sit through a couple of hours of safety videos.

That was in Prakhonchai.

yes, good advice - ask the office that will issue the plastic, will do that
easiest address bit would probably be embassy - fast as lightning for me

reaction tests (plural?) can only remember 1, where I had to hit the brake before something dropped into a red field

need to renew my 2 5-year driving lic(motocy and 4-wheel) this autumn,

anybody familiar with recent paper requirements?

my guess
the 2 licences
passport, copy of photo page, entry stamp and visa pages
address confirmation (embassy or immigration or tabien baan or similar)
is medical certificate needed for renewal?

See: https://www.dlt.go.th/en/renew-license/
upload_2018-7-30_14-12-45.png

I guess there may be regional variations depending where you are doing your renewal. The last time I renewed my 5 year licence in Surin they certainly needed the documents in bullets 1, 2 and 3 although not number 4. I used the Yellow Tabien Baan as proof of address. I also had to sit through a 1 hour video and take the reaction, eye sight and colour blind tests. I did not have to take the written computer test, 50 questions, although that may be changing in the future.

thanks krap,
but renewal of 5 year not mentioned above?

guess I will just pop in and show them my expiring plastic and ask what is needed,
think you are very right in assuming regional diferences

did my first lics in Udon Thani, what a breeze

NOW,

any of you guys have DL for a 6-wheeler or 8-wheeler
or know a farang who has?

I would like to have that (for a reason) but when I try addressing the issue its like banging my head into a brick wall

NOW,

I would like to have that (for a reason) but when I try addressing the issue its like banging my head into a brick wall

I think that you may find that it's related to an occupation for which a farang is not permitted to have.

I think that you may find that it's related to an occupation for which a farang is not permitted to have.

yes, have heard that a zillion times
but that is hardly correct - me thinks, I just cant believe that that can be found in writing (ie legal text)

just look at these RVs, recreational vehicles and some quite large pickups
they have twin wheels at the rear'
farang cant drive?

closest I got some years ago, ChonBuri province
after several and lengthy phone calls by Thai friend;
Yes, LTD can do but farang must be able to speak, read and write Thai
test drive of large vehicle with Thai instructor, OK
oral examination
writen examination

use of interpretor not allowed

all passed; will issue multi wheel plastic to farang

now,
large vehicles with white numberplates ain't that uncommon,
all over LoS they are used in the farming industry, larger farms

anyway,
was just wondering, if its easy in Surin or Buriram I'll nip down
(mind you, have national licence for many-wheel juggernaut and trailer

NOW,

I personally do not know of a farang BUT have come across a few threads over on Nazaivisa of farangs that said they did. Give the DLT in Prasat ago as they seem to be friendly.

yes, have heard that a zillion times
but that is hardly correct - me thinks, I just cant believe that that can be found in writing (ie legal text)

just look at these RVs, recreational vehicles and some quite large pickups
they have twin wheels at the rear'
farang cant drive?

closest I got some years ago, ChonBuri province
after several and lengthy phone calls by Thai friend;
Yes, LTD can do but farang must be able to speak, read and write Thai
test drive of large vehicle with Thai instructor, OK
oral examination
writen examination

use of interpretor not allowed

all passed; will issue multi wheel plastic to farang

now,
large vehicles with white numberplates ain't that uncommon,
all over LoS they are used in the farming industry, larger farms

anyway,
was just wondering, if its easy in Surin or Buriram I'll nip down

(mind you, have national licence for many-wheel juggernaut and trailer

Prasat DLT do commercial license as my wife son has already talked with them a couple months back and he was told no problem when he turns 22 in November. His company is picking up the tab.

Prasat DLT do commercial license as my wife son has already talked with them a couple months back and he was told no problem when he turns 22 in November. His company is picking up the tab.

ok thanks, but the son is Thai? or?

ok thanks, but the son is Thai? or?

Wife son is Thai. Age requirement is all. You problly will need your boss with you to help communicate. Imho I would pass on Surin DLT as they can be assholes on other things.

Back