Drying Rice in Thailand

Bandersnatch

Surin Solar Legend
grain-3616171_960_720.jpg

I know I am a stupid Farang who knows nothing about farming in Thailand, but come on, there has to be a better way of doing it than this?

grain-3616171_960_720.jpg

I know I am a stupid Farang who knows nothing about farming in Thailand, but come on, there has to be a better way of doing it than this?

They usually put the rice on plastic sheets to dry on the road. In the above it is directly on the hard shoulder. In most villages they use all of 1 lane of the 2 available, with the 2nd lane invariably blocked with trucks, wheelbarrows etc. I have seen many a frustrated motorist drive straight over the rice.

Drying of rice is done that way all over the world. The locals use the highways and local roads. The large rice mills have will have concrete pads 100m x 100m to dry rice.

rice-drying-sunlight-by-spread-450w-335627615.jpg

Yes there is a better ways. But each of them requires investment and technology that both equals power input. You add this equation up and you will see that the costs do not out weigh the time saving and labour costs. As farmers get a pittance as it is. Bye the way. When you sell your grain it must be between 14% to 18% moisture content. For every 2% higher or lower you will lose 10% of the full price. Then of course is the quality of the grain it's self.
FYI
If the grain is more then 18% It has a fast deterioration and promotes the development of insects and molds.
If the grain is less then 14% It starts to fracture in the husk and turn to powder. This grain is sold as broken rice which is also turned into flour.

Off topic I suppose, but I bought a bottle of whisky the day I turned 21. I still have the bottle unopened and for some reason It's down about a quarter. I wonder if it's still ok to drink! It's now still sitting in a cupboard back home in Surin. Be 50 years since I bought it.

As long as it still has the original seal, it should be perfectly preserved. One caveat though - does the bottle have a screw top or a natural cork? As you know, cork "breathes" which is why bottles of wine must be rotated from time to time, and stored on their sides to keep the cork moist. Older bottles of Scotch, Brandy, and other spirits were also supplied with corks before the change to screw caps was made and these must be stored upright, the higher alcohol content (than wine) preserving the cork. I recommend that you invite your friends around to test the contents at the earliest possible opportunity ;)

As long as it still has the original seal, it should be perfectly preserved. One caveat though - does the bottle have a screw top or a natural cork? As you know, cork "breathes" which is why bottles of wine must be rotated from time to time, and stored on their sides to keep the cork moist. Older bottles of Scotch, Brandy, and other spirits were also supplied with corks before the change to screw caps was made and these must be stored upright, the higher alcohol content (than wine) preserving the cork. I recommend that you invite your friends around to test the contents at the earliest possible opportunity ;)
Someone should arrange a list of all my 'friends' then, Merlin.

Got a bottle of champagne in a green box was part of a race trophy and that would be 40 years old too..be crap I suppose.

Back