Drying Rice in Thailand

Well it looks like the drying of the rice and storing it, rather than sell direct from the field is paying off.
Sis in law sold the thick end of 3 Tonnes today to two families that came to collect it from our place.
She got 16bht per Kg our local rice mill is quoting 15.80 Kg, but if you take it there they will find some reason not to give you that price. She is a really happy lady today
However her joy with this windfall is slightly tempered in the knowledge that the reason these people are buying the rice is that their harvest was so poor this year that they were not able to produce any seed themselves for next years crop, and this is what they will use ours for.20190113_113240.jpg20190113_132250.jpg20190113_132911.jpg

Off the top of my head B50,000 should keep one topped up on Archa through the year. Good on her.

@mahdam How many rai produced those three metric tons ?

Off the top of my head B50,000 should keep one topped up on Archa through the year. Good on her.

@mahdam How many rai produced those three metric tons ?
I do not know exactly how many Rai produced the approx 3 Tonnes she sold today, but she harvested around 34 Rai in total, and has a shed full of it left.
Some of this will be kept next years seed, some will be for family consumption.
Any surplus after this will also be sold. As you say good luck to her.

Thank you for the response @mahdam although it didn't assist my factual data on yield per rai.

Possibly you can press for details after all of the rice from the (approx) 34 rai is weighed (even if not sold).

Thank you for the response @mahdam although it didn't assist my factual data on yield per rai.

Possibly you can press for details after all of the rice from the (approx) 34 rai is weighed (even if not sold).

From my recollection 18 years ago, 12 rai of paddy yielded 96 paks of rice each weighing in the region of 75 kg. This was rice that was planted by hand not just scattered willy nilly across the paddy.

I am not involved in rice growing, but have been involved , in the past, in an overseeing capacity in loans against bags of rice.

The average "bag of rice" is around 80kgs, and in a reasonable year 1 rai can be expected to produce 3/4 bags. I will let you, Coffee, do the maths from hereon.

From my recollection 18 years ago, 12 rai of paddy yielded 96 paks of rice each weighing in the region of 75 kg. This was rice that was planted by hand not just scattered willy nilly across the paddy.

8 packs/bags from 1 rai is from my knowledge a bumper crop

And given that the going rate for "dry" rice was Bht 5.60/kg at that time, once the cost of the starter pack, labour, fertilizer, combine, transport and end of harvest piss up was deducted, there was bugger all left.

8 packs/bags from 1 rai is from my knowledge a bumper crop

If I could quote some figures that I remember. Our "profit" from the harvest was 18 paks. Fertilizer was Bht 7,500.00 total. The combine was Bht 500.00/rai (Bht 6,000.00). The end of harvest piss up was just less than Bht 1,000.00. I was told that the starter pack was 25% of the previous year's yield.

[I believe that I was required to stump up for the piss up so that would have come out of the 18 pak "profit"]

[I remember that we were paid 18 paks because my wife asked why I was only permitting 6 paks on my 4 x 4 but the local transport guy could get 12 paks on his small pick up. "Because I'm not an eejit" I told her]

Last edited:
So many variables involved in this...how was the rain, what area, how's the dirt, how was is planted and harvested..by machine or by hand..who is planting/harvesting, etc. , etc. ???

We have about 6 rai that others do the work on, and we are paid a "rent" for allowing them to. Usually the yield for the whole crop is about 18-20 of the 75 kilo bags, and we get a couple of bags in "rent". Everything depends on many, many things.

Noy's sister and brother also do the same with their rai, they both live and work in BKK area, so we keep track of theirs for them and give them their "rent" as needed.

Typical "rent" for them and us:
IMG_0686.JPG

So many variables involved in this...how was the rain, what area, how's the dirt, how was is planted and harvested..by machine or by hand..who is planting/harvesting, etc. , etc. ???

We have about 6 rai that others do the work on, and we are paid a "rent" for allowing them to. Usually the yield for the whole crop is about 18-20 of the 75 kilo bags, and we get a couple of bags in "rent". Everything depends on many, many things.

Noy's sister and brother also do the same with their rai, they both live and work in BKK area, so we keep track of theirs for them and give them their "rent" as needed.

Typical "rent" for them and us:
View attachment 25986

So-fa so good then?

Back